Possible bug in the pitch block?

DLC86

Fractal Fanatic
Hi, yesterday I finally had the opprtunity to compare my axe fx II and ax8 side by side and this somewhat confirmed a doubt I had since I received my ax8: the cl. whammy and advanced whammy have a strange behaviour in the ax8, they have a lot more glitches and instability in the note detected compared to the AFX. I notice this especially when I do a string vibrato or a bending, it almost seems as the pitch can only go in steps and can't reproduce frequencies between the semitones, like when you set the harmonizer track mode to stepped, but whammy models don't have this parameter.
Is it a bug or I am missing any setting? Thanks in advance

I noticed this recently too and I don't know the answer; haven't spent much time with whammy modes though. As you bend the strong, it jumps to the nearest 1/2 step, instead of smoothly increasing pitch. Maybe it's the Tracking parameter? Or is this the expected behavior? Using the Control parameter does a smooth bend though. I'll have to try again when I have time.

I tried any kind of settings instead and almost every value on the tracking parameter and couldn't solve the problem.
I'd be surprised if it's the expected behaviour since the AFX whammy doesn't do this, if it's not a bug it could be a limitation of the ax8 cpu maybe

I think, there was a comment at some point that pitch tracking is a low priority operation compared to audio processing, so in CPU heavy presets, tracking will be less smooth.

I think, there was a comment at some point that pitch tracking is a low priority operation compared to audio processing, so in CPU heavy presets, tracking will be less smooth.
I'll try a preset with just a pitch and an amp block and I'll report back

I have noticed this a little setting up the intelligent harmonizer. It doesn't seem to track well. My CPU utilization is around 75% for the patch. Is that considered high?

Last edited:
I noticed this recently too and I don't know the answer; haven't spent much time with whammy modes though. As you bend the strong, it jumps to the nearest 1/2 step, instead of smoothly increasing pitch. Maybe it's the Tracking parameter? Or is this the expected behavior? Using the Control parameter does a smooth bend though. I'll have to try again when I have time.
Chris, have you noticed this behavior only on the whammy's? I noticed it on the intelligent harmonizer as well. I tried local and global setting and my CPU utilization is around 75%.

Chris, have you noticed this behavior only on the whammy's? I noticed it on the intelligent harmonizer as well. I tried local and global setting and my CPU utilization is around 75%.
IIRC intelligent harmony has a parameter called tracking mode, have you checked if it's set to stepped?

IIRC intelligent harmony has a parameter called tracking mode, have you checked if it's set to stepped?
Is that the one that can be either smooth or stepped? If so, then it is set to smooth. Not near my rig right now.

Is that the one that can be either smooth or stepped? If so, then it is set to smooth. Not near my rig right now.
Ok, so it seems it could be the same issue

PS: I'd also try to set it to stepped and see if there's a difference between the two settings so we can understand if the (possible) bug is somehow related to that parameter

Ok, so it seems it could be the same issue

PS: I'd also try to set it to stepped and see if there's a difference between the two settings so we can understand if the (possible) bug is somehow related to that parameter

I think it is worth it to open a bug for this issue and let Fractal tell us why :)

If you could upload the preset and a sample audio that would probably help a lot!

Update: I finally had the chance to verify it's not related to the cpu usage, i made a patch with just a pitch block and the problem is still there. I'm gonna open a thread in the bug section

i´m having the same problem
Yeah, still unresolved and I don't know if it will be corrected. I noticed that it gets better if CPU is under 60 or 50% but still not as good as on the axe fx, so after all the problem could be the processing power of the ax8.
But when I think that my old Pod HD has a way more stable and precise whammy I definitely believe something can be done!

Yeah, still unresolved and I don't know if it will be corrected. I noticed that it gets better if CPU is under 60 or 50% but still not as good as on the axe fx, so after all the problem could be the processing power of the ax8.
But when I think that my old Pod HD has a way more stable and precise whammy I definitely believe something can be done!
i hope so too, i have a whammy DT on my "pedalboard" but was planing to get rid of it after i got the AX8, also the harmonizer is not as good as i thought, hope they fix this,

greetings!

Back
Top Bottom