Bug? New FC-12... odd behaviour with bank size adjustments

Just to be sure, are you sure you started Axe Edit III and not the older version (for Axe Fx II)?

I've done that accidentally before ;)

Yep... I checked first! :p

It's odd. Using a MacBook Pro (10.9.x, if I recall correctly) Fractal-Bot works but Axe-Edit lll doesn't. I've tried 3 different USB cables, including one borrowed from my next-door neighbour.

I grabbed my Win 10 laptop and got Error 105 "Unable to communicate with the Fractal Audio Systems device." when trying to install the Windows USB drivers. After that, Fractal-Bot on said Windows laptop understandably won't work, but Axe-Edit lll does!

When changing presets using Axe-Edit (yes, lll) occasionally the button behaviour resets to the proper bank size of 10, but only occasionally. I haven't been able to find a pattern.

The only thing I've noted today is that after reducing bank size to 8 or 9, resetting it to 10 results in the buttons working properly, but once it's set to 7 or below, it's borked. o_O Curious!

Note that I was changing bank size on the Axe display rather than in Axe-Edit... I'm assuming it's there somewhere in AE's FC area, but I'm just starting to use Axe-Edit lll... when I can, that is! ;)

Last edited:
Ok I’m doing this by memory. Using axe edit select fc controllers, click on button 5. It should be set to select preset 5 within a bank. Since you changed the bank size to two, it probably now says 2.

I neglected to circle back to this after getting Axe-Edit working on the Win10 laptop yesterday!

It was as you described: all the preset buttons were 'select within bank' and 2 and above were stuck at preset # 2.

It may be normal behaviour, but it looked strange when selecting any of the preset buttons in Axe-Edit, each would momentarily flash the correct #, then settle on 1 or 2 after half a second or so. Not sure if that's relevant or not...

Here's a back-up of system settings after reducing bank size to 4 and then increasing it back to 10. Needless to say, the behaviour is the same in that after increasing it again, only 4 presets are displayed in each bank on the FC.

In addition, I was premature in reporting that I could reduce bank size to 8 or 9 and have everything okay when increasing it back to 10... trying it today, and it still borks with 8 or 9! :mad:

Attachments

• 190617-125058-system+gb+fc.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 0
I'm playing catch-up with this thread a little bit but I believe I understand the problem.

The Preset, Select in Bank functions have their first parameter (VALUE 1 on the Layout page, Preset on the Switch page) restricted based on the bank size. When you decrease the bank size, these parameters get capped to the new bank value. When increasing the bank size, the individual switches don't remember what they used to be, so they remain something equal to or less than the lower bank size.

Other operations related to bank size will be similarly effected, such as the Upper/Lower limits of Bank, Inc/Dec.

I'm playing catch-up with this thread a little bit but I believe I understand the problem.

The Preset, Select in Bank functions have their first parameter (VALUE 1 on the Layout page, Preset on the Switch page) restricted based on the bank size. When you decrease the bank size, these parameters get capped to the new bank value. When increasing the bank size, the individual switches don't remember what they used to be, so they remain something equal to or less than the lower bank size.

Other operations related to bank size will be similarly effected, such as the Upper/Lower limits of Bank, Inc/Dec.

Thanks for looking at this again. :D

If what you've described is the default, how does one restore the bank size to 10 (or increase it from a low value to any other higher value) without resetting all FC settings, including any you've edited?

As mentioned in the first post, I wanted to temporarily adjust bank size to have Layout 7 work as it's described in the FC manual (i.e. switches 6 and 12 as 'Preset -4' and 'Preset +4') rather than how it works in reality (i.e. switches 8 - 11 only accessing the first 4 presets in each 10-preset bank) Unfortunately you can't get Layout 1 to work properly after that by trying to increase the bank size to 10.

Is the only solution to manually edit (increase) the Value 1 for switches 1 - 5 and 7 - 11 in the Layout page for Layout 1? Does each switch then also need to be edited on its Switch page?

As for Bank Inc/Dec, that seems to be okay, as any bank up and down functions (switches 6 & 12 on Layout 1) revert to + or - 10 presets... at least I think they do... I'd better check that! :oops:

Thanks again!

Is the only solution to manually edit (increase) the Value 1 for switches 1 - 5 and 7 - 11 in the Layout page for Layout 1? Does each switch then also need to be edited on its Switch page?
Currently, yes, this is the only solution other than restoring a configuration from Axe-Edit or FractalBot. Sorry this is causing difficulty. It wasn't designed with the idea of the bank size being changed on a consistent basis.

Currently, yes, this is the only solution other than restoring a configuration from Axe-Edit or FractalBot. Sorry this is causing difficulty. It wasn't designed with the idea of the bank size being changed on a consistent basis.
Thanks yet again.

If bank size isn't to be changed on a regular basis, then why is Layout 7 set to select only the first 4 of the 10 presets in each bank rather than 'Preset -4' and 'Preset +4' as described in the manual? Was that an "Oops!" that was more difficult to implement than first envisioned?

As for Axe-Edit and Fractal-bot... now... if I could only get both of them to work on the same laptop (preferably my compact MacBook Pro), I'd be in bizness! :p

Thanks yet again.

If bank size isn't to be changed on a regular basis, then why is Layout 7 set to select only the first 4 of the 10 presets in each bank rather than 'Preset -4' and 'Preset +4' as described in the manual? Was that an "Oops!" that was more difficult to implement than first envisioned?

As for Axe-Edit and Fractal-bot... now... if I could only get both of them to work on the same laptop (preferably my compact MacBook Pro), I'd be in bizness! :p
Just received my FC-12 a few days back and had the same issue (as well as came to the same conclusion) as you, CenturyBreak. I think an added ability to choose individual bank sizes per layout would alleviate both issues at hand. Hopefully that's coming down the pipeline in an update!

Just received my FC-12 a few days back and had the same issue (as well as came to the same conclusion) as you, CenturyBreak. I think an added ability to choose individual bank sizes per layout would alleviate both issues at hand. Hopefully that's coming down the pipeline in an update!

As best as I can tell, it hasn't happened yet... and it's been nearly 2 years! Needless to say, I stopped holding my breath long ago... ;)

As best as I can tell, it hasn't happened yet... and it's been nearly 2 years! Needless to say, I stopped holding my breath long ago... ;)
Guess I'll just have to hold my breath for both of us then, CenturyBreak :p .

In a separate forum, I saw Matt from Fractal acknowledge that Bank Size per layout is on their list. Who knows when it will finally come to fruition, but I feel like the fact he acknowledged it is a good indication they're planning to develop this idea.

Granted, he did post that about two years ago... being Fractal isn't a huge company, however, I can understand that things probably take some time. I'll keep holding both our breath for now, but if there's still no development on this in another two years, I might need you to swap in pal ;)!

Back
Top Bottom