Bug? New FC-12... odd behaviour with bank size adjustments

CenturyBreak

Inspired
Greetings all.

My FC-12 arrived yesterday, and what a change from my prior RJM Mastermind LT... but mostly in terms of SIZE!. :oops: The LT is outstanding, and only the lack of scribble strips made me even consider the FC... setting up three pages for presets, scenes and IAs on the LT made it feel like it had been born for an Axe-FX. :D

Back to the FC. When I first started researching it, I thought "Great! Toggling between Layouts 1, 2 and 3 would do the trick!" Then I discovered the magic of Perform 1 & 2... even better!

After hooking it up yesterday, I played with Layouts 1, 2, 3, 7 & 8 and realized that with the default bank size of 10, Perform 1 wouldn't work as expected. In the manual, switches 6 and 12 are labelled as "Preset -4" and "Preset +4", ignoring bank size, but in reality, they're "Bank -1" and "Bank +1", so they only access the first 4 presets of each bank. That's disappointing, but press on regardless... I know it's discussed in this thread:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wish-bank-size-per-layout.148029/

Minor inconvenience, I thought, as I'd temporarily change the bank size to 4 and see if I could live on Perform 1 & 2 after tweaking the IAs on perform 2.

Needless to say, reducing the bank size to 4 makes Layout 1 look a bit odd:

As an experiment, I tried reducing it to 2:

No problem, I thought again... I'll just change it back. Oops. Increasing the bank size had no effect! Bank up and down did jump by the right number of presets, but nothing changed on the mini-displays... they were stuck on the first 2 presets in each bank! :eek:

The only thing that fixed it was resetting to the default settings for the FC in the FC section under Setup on the Axe lll... meaning any edits are lost.

Now... am I missing something obvious, or is this a bug? The FC has firmware 1.06 and the Axe lll is 5.08

Thanks in advance!

Did you follow the quick start guide instructions to initialize the layouts before doing anything else?

Check the Axe-Fx III to see if PC Mapping is turned ON. Setup->MIDI/Remote->General page, 10th item down. If that is ON, the FC will abide by the map defined on the Mapping page of MIDI/Remote.

If it's ON, please turn it OFF and see if the problem goes away.

Did you follow the quick start guide instructions to initialize the layouts before doing anything else?

Do you mean the "Load the default settings" section of the Quick Start Guide, about resetting the FC defaults in the Setup section of the Axe lll? If so, then yes!

Check the Axe-Fx III to see if PC Mapping is turned ON. Setup->MIDI/Remote->General page, 10th item down. If that is ON, the FC will abide by the map defined on the Mapping page of MIDI/Remote.

If it's ON, please turn it OFF and see if the problem goes away.

Let me check.

Is that something that's set to ON as default on the Axe lll? I'm 99.999% sure that's something I haven't touched since I got the thing!

Any notes from the weekend crowd? :cool:

Has anyone else reproduced this behaviour?

I know the conventional wisdom is that reloading firmware isn't the answer, but it's still recommended from time to time... this time, maybe? ;)

I'll wait for more from the folks here before opening a ticket with FAS... it is the weekend after all!

Thanks again. :D

I'm not sure you're going to get anyone better than Bryant... But you could try resetting your system settings.

Make a backup first - that way you can restore them if it doesn't fix anything.

Also, since I'm sure Bryant will ask, upload your system settings here. Gets you one step ahead of the game ;)

I'm not sure you're going to get anyone better than Bryant... But you could try resetting your system settings.

Make a backup first - that way you can restore them if it doesn't fix anything.

Also, since I'm sure Bryant will ask, upload your system settings here. Gets you one step ahead of the game ;)
Thanks... will do! All of the above, that is... :p

Sometime this afternoon when I'm taking a break from watching Le Mans... time to get back to the race! :D

Okay... backed up system settings, then reset system parameters, loaded FC-12 default settings again and tried the experiment... same results. :(

Here's the system settings back-up from before the reset:

Edit... attached a newer version in a later post!

Last edited:
The default for layout 1 is setup for bank size of 10. If you are going to use a bank size of 4, then you need to re-program the 6 switches that are setup to access programs 5-10 to do something else.

The default for layout 1 is setup for bank size of 10. If you are going to use a bank size of 4, then you need to re-program the 6 switches that are setup to access programs 5-10 to do something else.

Thanks, but that's not the issue I'm facing. Reducing the bank size and then increasing it results in the displayed number of presets remaining at the smaller number.

As an example, if you look at the second pic I posted above, buttons 2-5 and 7-11 display the same preset after reducing bank size to 2. This makes sense, but if I increase bank size back to 10 (or any # > 2) the buttons still display the same single preset... with similar results happening if I decrease bank size from 10 to any smaller # then increase it again.

The first pic is an example of decreasing bank size to 4 as an experiment to work with Layout 7. Changing the bank size back to 10 doesn't change the buttons on the FC, as buttons 4 and above can still only access the 4th preset. o_O

Thus my dilemma! :oops:

I’m not in front of my axe at the moment but check to see if those switches got reset to a lower bank number after you reduced the bank size.

Ok I’m doing this by memory. Using axe edit select fc controllers, click on button 5. It should be set to select preset 5 within a bank. Since you changed the bank size to two, it probably now says 2.

Ok I’m doing this by memory. Using axe edit select fc controllers, click on button 5. It should be set to select preset 5 within a bank. Since you changed the bank size to two, it probably now says 2.

Thanks.

Okay... this is fun: there seems to be a bigger issue at play here... Axe-Edit lll just says "Disconnected"... Fractal-Bot works, but not Axe Edit!

Thanks.

Okay... this is fun: there seems to be a bigger issue at play here... Axe-Edit lll just says "Disconnected"... Fractal-Bot works, but not Axe Edit!
Just to be sure, are you sure you started Axe Edit III and not the older version (for Axe Fx II)?

I've done that accidentally before ;)

Back
Top Bottom