Positive Grid Bias-Amps for iPad

Moltenmetalburn

Self-Admitted Software Thief
Got this for my ipad. It has some limitations that effect my uses but most would be satisfied.

Positive Grid – BIAS

I got bias on sale right now for $12.99 in the App Store.

Anyone that has an ipad and an interface for their ipad should get this, it serves as a great backup in case axe ever went down (again) at a live show. It is also a great practice tool.

At the moment the power amp and transformer section cannot be turned off so this could only be used with an FRFR power amp or DI. it doesn't sound awful through my 2150 but does have double filtering. I have been pestering positive grid to change this, they said they are looking into it.

I can't wait until the fryette LXii is released.

As with all modelers I have played I use a valvulator in front for real guitar tube amp feel.

The LXii will include this and provide FRFR tube power. A perfect match. I think bias with this amp could be a live rig albeit no onboard fx.

EDIT: if you download the free jam up amp the bias amps can be opened up in it and it allows effects and bank setup for live use.

There are paid upgrades to the jam up xt app but the free version has some effects and allows you to record two tracks. The free version has a noise gate tubescreamer, chorus, delay and reverb.

Add the air turn Bluetooth pedal to switch patches and effects and it is a fully fledged backup rig.

http://store.airturn.com/bt-105-on-...fs-2-pedals/?gclid=CInOyOLyubsCFVLxOgodcRsAeA

Last edited:
Bias is pretty cool - I've been using it since it came out.

On its own it is a nice way to learn about how amps work and to experiment, but IMO it really comes into its own when you import the amp into JamUP Pro and put it in an effects chain. Pretty stunning stuff from a device with comparatively little computing power.

Latency is pretty high on it. Jam up pro has a low latency setting but the models do not sound anywhere near as good.

after you import the bias ones into jam up, they do not seem to sound the same quality.

this is all on my ipad air.

audiobus allows me to keep the quality of bias but use effects, you still have to deal with the latency. It is tolerable but still pretty high.

Last edited:
I agree the sound changes when loading models into jamup.

In my case I notice no latency issues in ultra low mode. I'm not hearing the tone change either when changing latency modes.

I am LOVING bias. Can't believe how great an ipad app I paid $12.99 for sounds!

I am using it with a vht valvulator upfront /apogee jam/ iPad air /vht 2150 /2x12 guitar cab.

I would play a live gig with it, in fact took only bias to jam with friends yesterday on bass guitar.

Was such a great experience I couldn't see myself dragging my bass rig down there again.

Trying to muster the courage to use it in a situation I usually reserve for the AXE2 and see how it fares.

I am going to build myself a four button momentary footswitch to use with the air turn bluetooth dongle thingy. I want carling footswitches and an indestructible case. Not too happy with the stuff out now and not sure the product coming from PG will be as bulletproof either.

I agree the sound changes when loading models into jamup.

In my case I notice no latency issues in ultra low mode. I'm not hearing the tone change either when changing latency modes.

I am LOVING bias. Can't believe how great an ipad app I paid $12.99 for sounds!

I am using it with a vht valvulator upfront /apogee jam/ iPad air /vht 2150 /2x12 guitar cab.

I would play a live gig with it, in fact took only bias to jam with friends yesterday on bass guitar.

Was such a great experience I couldn't see myself dragging my bass rig down there again.

Trying to muster the courage to use it in a situation I usually reserve for the AXE2 and see how it fares.

I am going to build myself a four button momentary footswitch to use with the air turn bluetooth dongle thingy. I want carling footswitches and an indestructible case. Not too happy with the stuff out now and not sure the product coming from PG will be as bulletproof either.

I found the low latency modein the Bias settings. I didn't see it before for what ever reason.

Last edited:
Caution with the 'Low Latency' mode - can cause clicks and pops if there are other apps running in the background.

I use the Apogee JAM interface with mine, and latency hasn't really been a problem (iPad2). I don't have it in low latency mode.

I think this is a great 'backup' option for an actual modeller. For around $20 you really can't go wrong...

I've thought sbout buying it. I really liked the jamup pro app. It's a cool tool to use for fast practice at home and work. It's unbelievable how spoiled we are becoming.

I bought all of the Bass amp offerings in Jam up, and I like the ones in Bias as well ... very cool. I used the iRiffport with a stereo 1/8 inch out the line out to 1/4 inch stereo cables into my mixer. Then back through the FX Loop of the Axe, add FX to taste and out to my FRFR and it sounds great. It's nice to have other solutions, especially at $12.99 if you already own an iPad.

Caution with the 'Low Latency' mode - can cause clicks and pops if there are other apps running in the background.

I use the Apogee JAM interface with mine, and latency hasn't really been a problem (iPad2). I don't have it in low latency mode.

I think this is a great 'backup' option for an actual modeller. For around $20 you really can't go wrong...

No pops and clicks in low latency with the ipad air. I am using the apogee jam as well and an ipad air. Latency in normal mode is pretty high (in normal mode) IMO for real-time app. Not that it is not playable, but very noticeable. In Low latency, it is just fine.

Got this for my ipad. It has some limitations that effect my uses but most would be satisfied.

Positive Grid – BIAS

I got bias on sale right now for $12.99 in the App Store.

Anyone that has an ipad and an interface for their ipad should get this, it serves as a great backup in case axe ever went down (again) at a live show. It is also a great practice tool.

At the moment the power amp and transformer section cannot be turned off so this could only be used with an FRFR power amp or DI. it doesn't sound awful through my 2150 but does have double filtering. I have been pestering positive grid to change this, they said they are looking into it.

I can't wait until the fryette LXii is released.

As with all modelers I have played I use a valvulator in front for real guitar tube amp feel.

The LXii will include this and provide FRFR tube power. A perfect match. I think bias with this amp could be a live rig albeit no onboard fx.

EDIT: if you download the free jam up amp the bias amps can be opened up in it and it allows effects and bank setup for live use.

There are paid upgrades to the jam up xt app but the free version has some effects and allows you to record two tracks. The free version has a noise gate tubescreamer, chorus, delay and reverb.

Add the air turn Bluetooth pedal to switch patches and effects and it is a fully fledged backup rig.

BT-105 on Pedal Board with 4 ATFS-2 Pedals - AirTurn

Guys youre welcome in this group >>>>>>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/594153167286563/

Happy New Year :)

I bought all of the Bass amp offerings in Jam up, and I like the ones in Bias as well ... very cool. I used the iRiffport with a stereo 1/8 inch out the line out to 1/4 inch stereo cables into my mixer. Then back through the FX Loop of the Axe, add FX to taste and out to my FRFR and it sounds great. It's nice to have other solutions, especially at $12.99 if you already own an iPad.

I started using bias exclusively for jamming with friends on bass guitar. It's amazing and weighs nothing.

It is a great tool for learning songs for me. Directly loads songs from iTunes library and has a feature to slow down the songs without changing pitch when the bias amps are loaded into the jam-up app.

This sounds great. I plan on picking it up but need an interface. Anyone using a Line 6 Sonic Port with Bias?

Back
Top Bottom