Posible bug!!!

LeMur

I was working with Angle Severe 1 based preset and found that when I reduce Gain up to 0.00 Ax8 starts to produce uncontrollable terrific noise.
I didn't test this with other amp models.

This was confirmed by multiple sources a week or two ago, including myself, however it never received comments from moderators of Fractal.

Perhaps they're not too concerned because there is such a limited likelihood that anyone would ever use that model with the gain at zero LOL

Yeah, I reported this a week or two ago. I've noticed it on several other amps, as well. At least a couple other people reported that they sometimes can reproduce this effect, but sometimes not. Others indicated that they don't have the issue at all. So that is a little puzzling why this is something that seems to affect some people most times the precipitating conditions are present, others only occassionally, and some not at all.

If this bug is truly limited to instances where gain is turned to 0, then it's a non-issue in my eyes. However, my bigger question is whether this is a symptom of a problem that might seep into presets even when gain is never turned to 0. As I noted in my prior thread on this, I'm liking but not loving the mid to high gain tones I'm getting so far. I've really liked many of the high gain Axe Fx II clips I've heard, so I don't think its a case of just not being that into the tones that Fractals can produce. I've noticed a few other anomalies with high gain patches, as well. So, I'm wondering if there are indeed some bugs in the firmware, or some hardware issues with my Ax8 (and perhaps a subset of others') at play. The cleans and low gains sound great, though!

At this point, I've basically put my AX8 aside and will try it again once Quantum 2 is released. Hopefully it'll be smoother sailing from there. If not, I'll have to get in touch with support and see what they have to say.

I've noticed a few other anomalies with high gain patches, as well.
like what? 1.xx should be solid when it comes to the modeling, aside from this 'gain set at 0' thing that i haven't personally tried. i'll check it out later today and if it's confirmed, i'll report it to the devs.

but other than that, there haven't been issues with 1.xx modeling that i know of.

like what? 1.xx should be solid when it comes to the modeling, aside from this 'gain set at 0' thing that i haven't personally tried. i'll check it out later today and if it's confirmed, i'll report it to the devs.

but other than that, there haven't been issues with 1.xx modeling that i know of.

Mostly small things. On occasion, when switching from a high gain preset to another preset, I'll hear a moderately high frequency fuzzy-ish tone when first switching that fades out over the course of a second or so. Kinda hard to describe. When I get the chance, I'll post a video of that so others can see if they can replicate it, or if it is specific to my unit. I also sometimes hear faint clicks or pops when adjusting the gain (at above-0 levels of gain).

Like the 0-gain bug, these aren't a big deal in themselves, but could they be a sign of problems? If they can be reproduced by most/all users, it suggests that they are either software bugs or global hardware quirks. If they can't be reproduced by others, or only by a subset of others, it seems to suggest potential hardware issues for those affected. So, it would be helpful to know if these bugs are universally experienced, or only by a few of us. If they are universal, more likely than not they are firmware related, and I trust they will be sorted out sooner than later. If not universal, then those of us who are experiencing them might need to look into repair/replacement.

Adding to the bugs mentioned above, as I noted in my initial thread on this and alluded to above, the high gains on my AX8 generally seem a bit "off" to me. I won't dive too much into that at this stage, as it could very well just be a matter of my needing to get more familiar with the AX8. But I'm hoping to get a better sense of whether there there might be issues with my AX8 that could render those efforts futile.

Mostly small things. On occasion, when switching from a high gain preset to another preset, I'll hear a moderately high frequency fuzzy-ish tone when first switching that fades out over the course of a second or so.

does this happen while you are holding a chord, basically playing guitar and switching? or does it happen if you stop playing guitar, fully mute your strings, and change presets without playing? there are many, many things happening during a Preset change and the audio dropout is an expected occurance. there is a slight fade-in to the new Preset as well.

I also sometimes hear faint clicks or pops when adjusting the gain (at above-0 levels of gain).
i believe this is how it works, as people usually don't change gain during a performance.

i don't think you have cause for concern, but please do bring things up if they seem wrong, and we can figure it out.

if you can describe at all how the high gain sounds "off" to you, it'd be a starting point for that. in my Clean to Lead Bank video, do my high gain presets sound off to you on the video? if you load the presets on your AX8, do they sound off then?

https://axefxtutorials.selz.com/item/56c776666edca00b24f6d1f3

Back
Top Bottom