Port of Axe III firmware to Axe II ?

However, everything I have seen of the Axe Fx III makes it seem as if editing from the front panel will be pretty simple. And if I needed to make some sort of "major" change while at a gig, I think I would be able to do that comfortably without need for a computer.

For the OP, I suppose FAS will do what they can for the II, but of course the writing is on the wall here. The time will come; and I have no idea when that will be.

I always learn to do everything through the front panel for this very reason (above). If you need to make quick adjustments (sometimes in the middle of a song), you can jump right to it. Bringing a laptop to a gig seems...silly (to me at least...I know alot of people do it for various reasons.)

I’ve owned some TC and Source audio pedals that had software editors or smartphone editors. Always felt like a pain having to connect to my computer via usb to access parameters. Editors are well and good but I’d personally hate a 1u design where everything had to be done a computer.

However, everything I have seen of the Axe Fx III makes it seem as if editing from the front panel will be pretty simple. And if I needed to make some sort of "major" change while at a gig, I think I would be able to do that comfortably without need for a computer.

Good point! But still Axe Edit is much faster and more easy than the new front panel I guess.
For at home I can't see the point in using the front panel (speaking for myself here). For gigs it's another story.

But still Axe Edit is much faster and more easy than the new front panel I guess.

So, 1st off ... I don't have a III in my hands so this speculation based upon decades of using other gear. I find that optimized, manual controllers can be far better at navigating a device versus a generic controller of a mouse/click.

Don't know how old you are - and you may have lived through this - but when "virtualization" of real gear into the digital domain started, people were clambering for dedicated controllers i.e. volume faders where you could quickly be "hands-on" the mixer versus dragging a cursor over and moving a virtual fader on screen.

(This is how we worked in the studio forever - manual knobs, sliders, buttons/switches, etc. Sometimes it got worse i.e. had an old Roland Juno-2 synth with a tiny 1 or 2 row LCD screen, and those nav/edit damn buttons - Some years later I bought a Roland JD800 just to have every possible controller physically represented on the surface of the keyboard for easy, faster nav/edit. Waveform, ADSR, LFOs all right there, ready to go ... Same could be said for Roland's R8 drums rack versus the one with the pads ... kinda miss all that kit. Well, maybe not. ;))

These kinds of purpose-dedicated controls/devices were boutique and expensive, but optimized for music production (versus virtualized gear with a generic input controller e.g. mouse/trackball + click). They worked well because they are made to do certain things quickly and efficiently.

From what I've seen, I think FAS has done the same thing with the front panel to the degree that they could. Look at the CabLab feature (video in reviews?) where you can mix 4 IRs with dedicated knobs far faster than you could mouse over, click and mouse more to change value (3 efforts versus one). This method prevails over many features in the device, i.e. amp block for initial set-up page of Input, B,M,T, P, MV, ect. etc.

Now, I'm not saying Axe-Edit is pointless. That wouldn't be close to true. I use it extensively and still believe it's a critical tool for an AXEFX owner.

But, I'm making the case that customized/optimized dedicated controllers are sometimes far more efficient. And, I realize no one approach is for everyone.

FWIW in 1990, was a co-founder of a small SW company, so I learned to write HTML in VI and shortcuts work well. IIRC, just from root: chmod -r :) And, no - I'm not a coder; I used to bridge the gap between tech and business leadership, so all the software engineers called me something far more pejorative. But I learned what I needed to - man, that was a long time ago. ;)

Last edited:
3-amp possible permutations are actually ~15.25M

You need to divide that by 6 to get the right answer: 2,542,124 as mentioned earlier.

(249 x 248 x 247) tells you unique sequences of 3 different amps, but there are 6 ways to order any 3 selected amps:

1 2 3
1 3 2
2 1 3
2 3 1
3 1 2
3 2 1

OK so you can do with three amps. Which three amps? Would you have been happy if it were three different amps? Three different amps that someone arbitrarily chose for you? Do you think your combination of three of the possible 249 amps would definitely satisfy everyone? The number of combinations on 3 chosen from 249 amp models is 2,542,124.

I believe we could easily have just a handful of FAS branded "idealized" models and be happy with how it sounds. I've got a Yamaha THR100HD and it has a measly 4 different amp models (not counting the solid state option) and those cover pretty much all tones I could need but obviously need a bit more EQ and tube type adjustments to get there whereas on the Axe-Fx I can just pick a different model.

I fully believe that amp modeling can sound just as good as tube amps but the products on the market are incredibly complex to use by comparison and none of them are any user interface marvels. I would love to see a "FAS amp" that only did a handful of amp sims covering your usual Fender/Vox/Marshall/Mesa range and an IR loader.

As for Axe-Edit, I probably would not own an Axe-Fx anymore if it wasn't for that software. It alleviates much of the annoyances of the front panel. I feel it's essential for the product line because even the 3 is not something I would like operating just from the front panel. The bad thing is that Fractal still does not offer good support for 3rd party MIDI knob controllers which would really help anyone operate their Axe-Fx faster without using a computer and mouse.

Good point! But still Axe Edit is much faster and more easy than the new front panel I guess.
For at home I can't see the point in using the front panel (speaking for myself here). For gigs it's another story.

I've never bothered to learn how to operate any modeler that came with a software editor. Occasionally I have to use the front panel and I break out the manual. Other then that I'm 100 % software editing. I don't think it will be any different if I were to get the III.

I joined the Axe fraternity when Axe Edit was just a twinkle in Cliff's eye. Have no problem using the device interface. If you know what you are changing it shouldn't take you long. It can be just as fast as using Axe Edit if you know what you're doing.

I used ax8 edit a bunch because I hated getting the thing onto the desk or bending over to reach the knobs. But I've had the axefx for maybe a month or so now and I think I've only used axe edit to move a few Banks of presets, build some more complex routing on my preset template....I think that's about it. All the tone tweaking and swapping fx blocks and stuff I've done on the front panel. I really don't understand what everyone's gripes are with the axe front panel. After learning the ax8 front panel first and then migrating to axefx, it seems like a God send to me... Nav buttons and dedicated page buttons? Fugghedaboutit.

Back
Top Bottom