Port of Axe III firmware to Axe II ?

A new III would be nice to own....but geez that is one big abortion. I personally would like something smaller instead of something bigger. I think I will wait to see what the competition brings along in the next couple of years. I think manufactures are seeing a market for compact all in one solutions that ingratiate great Amp modeling effects with good onboard loopers and built in drums. At least that is what I dream about. LOL

I couldn't care less about the amp modeling. I don't even care about 99% of the amps that are already in my XL+. A Fender for cleans, a Marshall for dirt, that's all I need for amp modeling. Give me more FX! That's all I want. That's the biggest reason I bought the Axe-FX in the first place. So I wouldn't have tap dance pedals any more. Amp modeling? Just an added bonus.

Same here. Modelling is not the reason I would buy an Axe fx III. Don't need all the amps or cabs. It's overkill. That's why I didn't buy it yet. I want to wait and see in which direction FAS is going. (Even) more towards the modelling side (as they did for the last two years or so) or more towards the Fx side. I think it will be modelling but i hope fx.

Last edited:
Obviously I’m right there with ya.... those tones...

I wanna say do yourself a favor and listen to the demos and that beyond stellar tone, but better yet maybe do yourself a favor and don’t listen to the demos to hear the beyond stellar tones lol. They are amazing.

Meh, recorded/frfr tones aren't my primary use and the axe2 already sounds phenomenal to my anyways, enough so that I don't miss a mic'ed cab at all. So a demo of the 3 won't mean anything to me tone wise until I can hear/play one in the room through my cabs.... Which pretty much won't happen until I own one anyways. I'm good to not worry about it for a good number of years. I just got the XL+ a few weeks ago so it's not like I'm tired of it or out growing out

Same here. Modelling is not the reason I would buy an Axe fx III. Don't need all the amps or cabs. It's overkill. That's why I didn't buy it yet. I want to wait and see in which direction FAS is going. (Even) more towards the modelling side (as they did for the last two years or so) or more towards the Fx side. I think it will be modelling but i hope fx.
Just my opinion....I really do not like bending over to program my XL anyway. I use Axe Edit most of the time, but am frustrated by the way it goes into stand by and I have to wait for it every time I press my midi control pedal. Hey these Axe FX units are nice... and most who cannot afford one, drool over them. But there is something to be said for small lighter gear. Maybe the next generation of AX8 may be the way to go. Time will tell.
I do agree that massive amounts of amps and cabs are over kill and I wish that more attention to the effects had been paid rather than more amps with the steady firmware updates. But I guess I will have to sit here and suffer with the way it is while I trip out over the endless supply of modulated effects I get to use while looping and jamming. LOL. Time to quit reading and time to start enjoying playing guitar.

It's 1U or 1/3rd bigger, to accommodate the screen and controls that everyone and their mother bitched and moaned to get for years and years. How is that 'one big abortion'?
I am under the impression that pretty much everyone prefers a smaller unit size to a bigger screen.

I am under the impression that pretty much everyone prefers a smaller unit size to a bigger screen.

Nobody asked me for my opinion, so I'm not sure how you know what everybody prefers....?

Only way to say that with any type of confidence would be to create a poll.

Nobody asked me for my opinion, so I'm not sure how you know what everybody prefers....?

Only way to say that with any type of confidence would be to create a poll.
True.
What I'm saying is, that i haven't seen anyone go like "Oh cool, it's so nice that they made the axe bigger so we can have this screen!".

EDIT: To be clear, i think that the UI on the Axe 3 is marvelous, and I don't know whether this greatness can be achieved with a smaller screen. Either way, I prefer a smaller unit....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some updates to the II will happen. But how much is the question.
We all keep searching for that holy grail of tone. And some of us will spend what it takes to achieve it.
While I am on the waiting list for a III, it is not because I'm hoping I finally find my ultimate tone. I just like latest technology.
Here is a demo that shows a good tone comparison between the II and III. I came away with not hearing much difference. Most of the III samples that sounded better were just louder. You can come to your own conclusion.

I don’t use more than a handful of amps and doubt anyone else does either. Thing is, we all use a different handful.

I’d be fine with just 10 amps but 9 of those better be the ones I want lol

So no, we don’t “need” 50 fenders, but having the choice of 50 to find out favorites, like the band commander, is great.

I don’t use more than a handful of amps and doubt anyone else does either. Thing is, we all use a different handful.

I’d be fine with just 10 amps but 9 of those better be the ones I want lol

So no, we don’t “need” 50 fenders, but having the choice of 50 to find out favorites, like the band commander, is great.

Exactly this. This is what a lot of people don't seem to get about having a ton of amps in the box. I could probably do with about 3 different amps, but I've definitely enjoyed swapping up rigs and trying out all kinds of different models to achieve what I want. I think the only way around this would be if FAS offered amp models for purchase and only included a handful in the base unit... This would be absolutely terrible IMHO and I think it would fail them as a business model, so instead we accept that for top of the line professional gear we pay the price and we all get all the models.

OK so you can do with three amps. Which three amps? Would you have been happy if it were three different amps? Three different amps that someone arbitrarily chose for you? Do you think your combination of three of the possible 249 amps would definitely satisfy everyone? The number of combinations on 3 chosen from 249 amp models is 2,542,124.

Given that the screen is about 2u high, and it makes the most sense to have the knobs line up with the virtual settings, I don't see how they could of made it work any smaller

You could have a 2U with a very short screen, OR, you could probably make it a 2u tall screen, filing nearly the entire space,BUT, with the knobs off to the sides like the current II models.

Big screen and knob arrangement requires 3U, don't see any getting around that. Love the big screen, love the knobs.

The unit is actually shallower too, so that means shorter rack cases, maybe adding height, but cutting depth.

Given that the screen is about 2u high, and it makes the most sense to have the knobs line up with the virtual settings, I don't see how they could of made it work any smaller

That's the whole point. Not many people use the screen anymore since we have Axe Edit. Except for some guys who grew up in the 80's with rack gear...:)

That's the whole point. Not many people use the screen anymore since we have Axe Edit. Except for some guys who grew up in the 80's with rack gear...:)
Or those that don't want to bring a laptop to a rehearsal or stage...

You could have a 2U with a very short screen, OR, you could probably make it a 2u tall screen, filing nearly the entire space,BUT, with the knobs off to the sides like the current II models.

Big screen and knob arrangement requires 3U, don't see any getting around that. Love the big screen, love the knobs.

The unit is actually shallower too, so that means shorter rack cases, maybe adding height, but cutting depth.
I'm still fond of the idea of making it 1U and no screen at all :)

I’m not sure about actual numbers of Axe-Edit users VS front panel users, but I was born in ‘95 growing up with a computer and I still prefer the front panel over Axe-Edit by a mile; hardly an 80s rack gear guy, haha.

I just don’t feel right dialing things in with a mouse and keyboard. So I’m definitely one who appreciates the improvements to the front panel UI as I’ll still be using it once I upgrade to the III.

Beyond that I also am genuinely gonna miss the old green screen, but that’s just some nostalgia for graphing calculators on my part I think, lol.

Given that we don’t have axe-edit for the III I’d say quite a few III owners are using the front panel... lol

In all seriousness, I do as much in the front panel as I did axe-edit on my Ii and ax8. I’m not going to go over to my pc just to change a reverb type, or bypass a block.

Now on the III with the screen and knobs it’s even faster to make direct adjustments, meaning for me, even more I can do in the front panel

I stare at a pc all day at work, I enjoy a hardware interface for my synths and guitar playing for no reason other than it’s nice to put down the mouse

I use Axe Edit on the Axe Fx II for just about everything... But that's because I found the front panel a little too involved. And I'm a long time tech guy, and grew up with all the 80's rack stuff. I could learn it if I needed to, but when I started, the "old" Axe Edit was working and "new" was released shortly after, and since there was a big overall learning curve I decided not to go down the trail of diving into the front panel.

However, everything I have seen of the Axe Fx III makes it seem as if editing from the front panel will be pretty simple. And if I needed to make some sort of "major" change while at a gig, I think I would be able to do that comfortably without need for a computer.

Back
Top Bottom