Port City possibly getting into to FRFR game

If this is against any of the rules please let me know.

To roll out these cabs we are offering a 10% discount on all FRFR cabs from today until Aug. 9th. Message us for your unique discount code. We don't want you to take our word for it. You will have 7 days to try the FRFR Wave cab for yourself. If you don't think it is the best sounding FRFR cab you have ever heard we will arrange to get the cab back and offer you a full refund. You really must hear how good the FRFR Wave cab sounds for yourself!!! Send us a message or email, get the discount code and prepare to be blown away!
This is great, thanks for posting, but you are, I think, required to list your affiliations as a Port City representative, in your signature on the forum here, as stated here
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/affiliations.102186/#post-1224526

I personally dont care what it looks like. mine sits in a case on castors behind a scrim, so nobody sees it. IMHO.

It's not about the looks. It's about the combination of the G12-X200 with a regular guitar cab which is ported to enhance the bottom end.
This combo should have the benefit of being full-range with (rather) flat response, while still passing the punch of a traditional guitar speaker.
I'm finding out this week if this is true......

It's not about the looks. It's about the combination of the G12-X200 with a regular guitar cab which is ported to enhance the bottom end.
Hm... It seems that a Port City Wave cabinet supports numerous speakers of vastly different specs. It's not "ported" in the traditional sense, is it? If it's tuned to one speaker, it won't be tuned to any other... I wonder if it indeed enhances the bottom end, or if it's more about the "reflect back-waves out to the front" thing.

Cool! I think a few of your artists are Fractal users too, so an FRFR from you guys would be interesting.

I think there are a few camps of popular FRFRs.

A) Wedge, coaxial, higher price, high fidelity - Atomic CLR, Xitone wedge, RCF NX 12-SMA, Dynacord AXM 12A...
Gemini comes in a 1x12" wedge now, too.... :)

Hm... It seems that a Port City Wave cabinet supports numerous speakers of vastly different specs. It's not "ported" in the traditional sense, is it? If it's tuned to one speaker, it won't be tuned to any other... I wonder if it indeed enhances the bottom end, or if it's more about the "reflect back-waves out to the front" thing.

You’re right.

Port City is now shipping their Wave cabinets with Celestion FX12-200 speakers, for FR purposes.
Since I already own several PC cabs, I ordered just the Celestion FX12-200, to mount in my 1x12. Expecting it this week. Will report. Curious if it will hold up to the quality and user experience of my 1x12 Wave with KTS-70.

Well, that was a short-lived experiment...

I mounted the F12-X200 in my Port City 1x12 OS Wave, and compared it to my Port City 2x12 (traditional speakers) and my CLRs (with IRs).

The F12-X200 (with IRs) can't hold a candle to either. Regardless of the selected IR (I tested quite a few), the speaker sounds thin and sharp in the upper mids. Almost like there's a piezo bleeding through. The difference in quality and full-range reproduction between the CLRs and the X200 (using the same IR) is painfully large. Presets created on good quality studio speakers will not translate well to the X200, they'll need serious adjustments. There's really no way that this speaker would be able to replace my current cabs, sadly.

I've put the KTS-70 back in the 1x12. What a relief.

I use the same presets with my traditional guitar cab as I do with my CLRs (which also serve as studio monitors). They sound fine, and the amp settings aren't tweaked a lot. They should sound fine on the X200.

It's not the presets, it's the speaker.

Anyway, tweaking presets for a specific full-range speaker should not be required.

I use the same presets with my traditional guitar cab as I do with my CLRs (which also serve as studio monitors). They sound fine, and the amp settings aren't tweaked a lot. They should sound fine on the X200.

Anyway, tweaking presets for a specific full-range speaker should not be required.
Thanks for your assessment, @yek !

I've been watching this play out with anticipation — and skepticism. "It's a full-range speaker but it's not" is a recipe I don't understand.

I mounted the F12-X200 in my Port City 1x12 OS Wave, and compared it to my Port City 2x12 (traditional speakers) and my CLRs (with IRs).

The F12-X200 (with IRs) can't hold a candle to either. Regardless of the selected IR (I tested quite a few), the speaker sounds thin and sharp in the upper mids. Almost like there's a piezo bleeding through. The difference in quality and full-range reproduction between the CLRs and the X200 (using the same IR) is painfully large. Presets created on good quality studio speakers will not translate well to the X200, they'll need serious adjustments. There's really no way that this speaker would be able to replace my current cabs, sadly.

I get you're wanting your presets to translate right off, especially if they do for the other speakers. But how did it sound creating a patch from scratch?
Did it have that real cab thump/feel? How would you say it compared to the friedman asm12 (even though you didn't care for that) ?

I did try it with an amp model which always sounds great at default settings: Friedman BE. Made no difference.

Can't recall the ASM sound.

Wasn't too impressed with the "real cab thump" thing either, but I quit testing.

I get you're wanting your presets to translate right off, especially if they do for the other speakers. But how did it sound creating a patch from scratch?
Did it have that real cab thump/feel? How would you say it compared to the friedman asm12 (even though you didn't care for that) ?
If your FOH feed doesn't translate well to the X200, then presets dialed in on the X200 won't translate well to FOH.

Last edited:

This is similar to creating a great preset and adding in a 3rd party IR and always expecting it to sound great as is, which sometimes isn't the case.
Not trying to debate your experience, but rather bummed as I been waiting on this speaker or any for that matter to take over the frfr market.

Seems as though those who want to have that real cab thump/feel and use IR's is not going to happen...........

Wow. I am sorry you didn't like the Celestion. Have you tried the Eminence Beta 12? If so what were your thoughts on that speaker?

Thanks.

Daniel
Port City Amps

How long did you break in the F12-X200? I put two F12-X200's in a 2x12 cab and broke them in on full range music for 10+ hours and they sound great! Any speaker will sound more full and round as it breaks in with use.

I'm sure your FRFR solution would be great. I will say that there are a lot of FRFR offerings today compared with a few years ago. When I first got into Fractal back in 2010, Atomic was really the only game in town for FRFR aimed at guitarists.

I'd say make something that looks like a guitar cabinet, not a stage monitor. Looks nice plus allows the player to put their AxeFX on top of the unit, more like a real head/cab.

Back
Top Bottom