Port City Pearl Top

Se7en

Inspired
I have bought a new 2x12 cab and I'm stuck on what poweramp I should get. I already have a 2x12 with Matrix GM50 module which I really like but it lacks a little bit of the interaction to the cab. Before the matrix I've been using many poweramps like mesa 2:90/mesa 50/50/engl 850 which sounded huge but colored the tone a little bit too much.

I've narrowed it down to Fryette PS2 or a Port City Pearl Top (which I might get a good deal on). There aren't many recent reviews with the Pearl Top which makes me hesitate. I've read Tosin Abasi have been using the pearl but the article was 3 years old.

Anyone have any experience with the pearl?

I have a 100w Pearl Head and find it amazing with the AxeFx. Like @portcityamps recommends, I run mine through the front input and it sounds massive. The only other way I have powered the AxeFx though a 2x12 cab is into the effects loop of my previous Mesa Mark V so I can;t compare to the power amps you mentioned. I thought it sounded great, but heard enough good things about the Pearl that I sold it and can honestly say I have never been happier with my tone.

FYI, the Mark IV on the AxeFx into the effects loop of the Mark V sounded better to me than the Mark IV mode of the Mesa Head which led me to sell it.

As the owner of Port City I admit my bias however I would advise you to give the Pearl a go...especially if you can get a good deal on one.

Daniel
Port City Amps

Back
Top Bottom