Port City OS2x12 + Matrix GT1000FX - My Thoughts

Not true. There is indeed a quality that using cab sims adds to the sound. Not every cab sim sounds good, but as our Guru's here tell us "Tweak by Ear - there are no right or wrong answers" .

If I recall, when I was buying this setup, Daniel from Port City told me he uses his axe-fx with sims ON. Maybe that's changed or I was hallucinating, but I'm pretty sure that was part of our conversation.

Cab sims ON with real cabs (speakers)?
That's hard to imagine that it might sound good, but wherever suits you..

I'm going to give another shot at tweaking a few patches without sims on. Perhaps I'll change my opinion under v10.

I recently acquired a Port City OS2x12 (loaded with V30s) and all week I've been running my Axe through the Matrix and then the Port City. Here are my thoughts:

There's not much else to say except that I am absolutely blown away and can't fathom 'upgrading' to anything haha. I've been using the Matrix GT1000FX for several months now through a late 70s/early 80s Marshall Cab, and it was wonderful. But my friend (and fellow Axe FXr) Marcus Rezak brought over one of his Port City cabs to my house and I knew I had to have one. The clearest and most articulate guitar tone I have ever heard. This past week I got my hands on my own Port City cab and have been in tonal ecstasy ever since. I have played through various cabs in my short time as a tone seeker, and the Port City slays them all, in my opinion.

The Matrix works just as you'd think, imparting no coloration to the tone and just being well...power! Which is awesome \m/ And then the Port City just brings any and all tones of mine to life. I plan on taking a whole afternoon next week and taking IRs of the cab at all mic positions possible (unfortunately I only have one mic, which is an SM57, but it will do the job of course!) so that way I can get the sound of my cab 'in the box'. If anyone has any IRs of their Port City cabs I would truly appreciate if you could send them my way :)

But yea, these are just my thoughts and I guess a 'review'. I suggest anyone looking for a poweramp to look into Matrix because their stuff is quite excellent, and then if you like running through a cab, I suggest Port City, because they OWN!

Hope you find these words helpful, if you have any questions about my specific setup please don't hesitate to ask!
I am so happy to hear the combination of Matrix 1000, Axe FX 2 and Port City cab sounds stellar......

I am about 2 weeks away from ordering the Axe 2 and the Matrix amp. I already own a Port City OS 2 x 12, loaded with a Celestion V30/Eminence Private Jack and it KILLS!!! My Marshall and Mesa 4 x 12s were no match and have been sold. I was considering FRFR, but I like the Port City so much, I'm going the real cab route for now and maybe grab an Atomic CLR down the road just to be greedy and have both. :mrgreen

Damn you, Sean. You made me order a vertical OS 2x12, basketweave grill, with padded cover.
The new home for my EVM and ASW KTS-70.
Damn you.

:mrgreen

Haha awesome!!! I personally haven't heard the vertical but my good buddy Seth has one and loves it. You will dig it for sure

Reactions: yek
Thanks Sean!! You motivated me to unhook my axe from my pair of RCF speakers and
hook it up into the effects return of my Dumble and into a 2X 12 Bogner cab.
Love the in the room sound. Will probably order a matrix tomorrow and the port city cab.
PS also a Chicago guy.

Thanks Sean!! You motivated me to unhook my axe from my pair of RCF speakers and
hook it up into the effects return of my Dumble and into a 2X 12 Bogner cab.
Love the in the room sound. Will probably order a matrix tomorrow and the port city cab.
PS also a Chicago guy.

AWESOME! You'll love the matrix/PC setup man. And also Dumble? Jeez man, that is quite awesome haha

Damn you, Sean. You made me order a vertical OS 2x12, basketweave grill, with padded cover.
The new home for my EVM and ASW KTS-70.
Damn you.

yek, what's the ETA on your cab? I'm seriously just about ready to pull the trigger on one, and I want to know how long I have to live before my wife finds out.

yek, what's the ETA on your cab? I'm seriously just about ready to pull the trigger on one, and I want to know how long I have to live before my wife finds out.

:)

I don't know. I've ordered one through the Dutch dealer. It has to come from the States.

Damn you, Sean. You made me order a 2x12 OS Wave cabinet, custom red snakeskin tolex with black & tan grill cloth, just like the pic below but I'll have the bigger OS version. I will be loading it with two British made (out of a Mesa Recto cab) Vintage 30s. Should be here in about 30 days. I have just a little over a month to live. ;)

Damn you.

Port%20City%202x12%20snakeskin.jpg

Ok Alex what's the verdict?

Large but not too large. In fact, excellent stand for the Axe-Fx. :)
A 2x12 is a necessity to house these two speakers I like.
Light construction. It's the EVM which provides the weight.

No need for stereo input. (Mono) combo of EVM and KTS-70 provides great and versatile tone. Wired in parallel for abundant output level.

The vertical size provides great spread of sound. I can hear myself well at close range, which always has been a problem with most of my previous cabs (directivity) except for the Dr Z Best. Sufficient low end at low volume.

It produces my acoustic preset and other stuff such as violins, synths quite well. Probably because of the EVMs extended range and the cab construction.
Still, it's a guitar cab, no doubt.

My Morgan and Dumble tones (current favorite clean amp models) sparkle. Lots of presence.
And it's also a great rock speaker cab, using my Friedman presets. Lots of "impact", thump etc.

Finally, happy with the basketweave grill. I like it much more than the standard black one.

CLR (FRFR) or Matrix w/Port City, either way, I have great tone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom