Port City OS2x12 + Matrix GT1000FX - My Thoughts

the oS vertical 2X12 looks like a small 4X12 LOL!
if the Fryette LXII ever does come out I may give one of these a try

the oS vertical 2X12 looks like a small 4X12 LOL!
if the Fryette LXII ever does come out I may give one of these a try

the OS2x12 horizontal is about 3/4 the size of a 4x12

I should also mention how awesome it is theres a handle on top of the cab and these things really aren't 'that' heavy.

No worries, Sean. We know that's not what you're about. A great product like this deserves the all the attention it gets!

I'm also now $140 closer to getting one of these cabs... sold my old Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus on CL today! :mrgreen Now hopefully the rest of my pedals and pedal board get sold soon as well. Haven't used any of them since getting the Axe Ultra a little over two years ago, then of course the Axe II. Why the heck I waited so long to get that stuff sold off, I'll never know. :?

These PC cabs sounds great.
I'm thinking of replacing my mesa oversized 4x12 (v30) with a PC 2x12 v30
But I don't know if I should buy a horizontal or vertical.
If horizontal I'm going for the stereo-jack upgrade.

These PC cabs sounds great.
I'm thinking of replacing my mesa oversized 4x12 (v30) with a PC 2x12 v30
But I don't know if I should buy a horizontal or vertical.
If horizontal I'm going for the stereo-jack upgrade.

I debated the same thing. I'm going with the horizontal with the stereo jack upgrade so I can <wait for it.....> run it in stereo when I want to. :pride:

Aha, great idea.
I have the OS mesa cab as well.
Maybe I should do the same.
Do you order the cab unloaded and wire the speakers yourself?

I own a Port City 1x12 and a 2x12OS. I use the 1x12 almost exclusively for most setups but go with the 1x12 + 2x12 sometimes when I am want that air push. I have the Matrix GT1000 and this combination is very nice. I use the cabs sim ON.

I still go back and forth between the FRFR and the guitar cab. The FRFR has such a clear sound to it, but lacks some punch that the guitar cab has. I can't really describe it accurately. I would say its like more punchi-ness than FRFR, but FRFR has a clarity of definition. I am experimenting with using the 1x12 and the QSC K10 (pair) to see what that delivers.

Either way I always try to go direct to FOH with output 1.

I recently acquired a Port City OS2x12 (loaded with V30s) and all week I've been running my Axe through the Matrix and then the Port City. Here are my thoughts:

There's not much else to say except that I am absolutely blown away and can't fathom 'upgrading' to anything haha. I've been using the Matrix GT1000FX for several months now through a late 70s/early 80s Marshall Cab, and it was wonderful. But my friend (and fellow Axe FXr) Marcus Rezak brought over one of his Port City cabs to my house and I knew I had to have one. The clearest and most articulate guitar tone I have ever heard. This past week I got my hands on my own Port City cab and have been in tonal ecstasy ever since. I have played through various cabs in my short time as a tone seeker, and the Port City slays them all, in my opinion.

The Matrix works just as you'd think, imparting no coloration to the tone and just being well...power! Which is awesome \m/ And then the Port City just brings any and all tones of mine to life. I plan on taking a whole afternoon next week and taking IRs of the cab at all mic positions possible (unfortunately I only have one mic, which is an SM57, but it will do the job of course!) so that way I can get the sound of my cab 'in the box'. If anyone has any IRs of their Port City cabs I would truly appreciate if you could send them my way :)

But yea, these are just my thoughts and I guess a 'review'. I suggest anyone looking for a poweramp to look into Matrix because their stuff is quite excellent, and then if you like running through a cab, I suggest Port City, because they OWN!

Hope you find these words helpful, if you have any questions about my specific setup please don't hesitate to ask!

Sean, any progress in making irs from the Port City? I've got the exact same cabinet, and I'm equally impressed with it. Sounds bigger than my regular 4x12 Marshall cab. I just recently picked up a used Port City OS 1x12 cab, and this one too sounds huge.

Anyway, I'm more or less testing a setup similar to yours, running the axe thru a power amp (which basically is an old 40w Marshall) out to the Port City, in addition to output 1/2 direct to the PA. I've been going frfr all the way up until now, but for some club stages, I kinda miss the edge of a regular guitar cab on stage. Not primarily for volume, just to supplement what I hear thru the PA and give the room what it needs ;) I've been dabbling with the idea of shooting some irs of the Port City as well, especially if this setup works well.

Interested in knowing how your experiment progresses.

the OS2x12 horizontal is about 3/4 the size of a 4x12

I should also mention how awesome it is theres a handle on top of the cab and these things really aren't 'that' heavy.

I can't Stand waiting for my PC OS 2x12 cab ! As for a handle on the top I just ordered mine with custom made two handles on both sides of the cab.. I gues my right hand is long enough already ha ha..

They don't come with casters, and there's no PC option to add. I'm awaiting a new 2x12 OS, and will be using a set of (just ordered) Mesa removable casters.

You'll be surprised how lightweight the OS 212 cabinet is. The handle on top is designed well, so it's actually easy to carry with just one hand, compared with just about any 2x12 I've owned (much smaller ones). I remember the pain of carrying my 212 Rectifier Cabinet, the PC is way lighter, and easier to lift.

I agree with wembley, for me it's easy to carry in one hand like a suitcase. Side handles (and no handle on top) would be a downgrade for me.

I own a Port City 1x12 and a 2x12OS. I use the 1x12 almost exclusively for most setups but go with the 1x12 + 2x12 sometimes when I am want that air push. I have the Matrix GT1000 and this combination is very nice. I use the cabs sim ON....

Argh. I can't imagine that sounding very good??? You're essentially coloring the sound with a cab sim, into a non-FRFR colored guitar speaker and cabinet. ??? :ambivalence::confusion:

I own a Port City 1x12 and a 2x12OS. I use the 1x12 almost exclusively for most setups but go with the 1x12 + 2x12 sometimes when I am want that air push. I have the Matrix GT1000 and this combination is very nice. I use the cabs sim ON.

I still go back and forth between the FRFR and the guitar cab. The FRFR has such a clear sound to it, but lacks some punch that the guitar cab has. I can't really describe it accurately. I would say its like more punchi-ness than FRFR, but FRFR has a clarity of definition. I am experimenting with using the 1x12 and the QSC K10 (pair) to see what that delivers.

Either way I always try to go direct to FOH with output 1.

you leave cab sims on? Ew. Cabception is no bueno

i have a port city 2x12 OS as well...but i mixed the speakers with a v30 and t75 (and a stereo input so i can have different volume mixes if needed/ wanted). i'm a high gain, extended range player and honestly have always used cab sims on as well...but have with every guitar cab i've used and with any modeler in the past. no matter what i do without the cab sim on...there's just something missing to my ears. (i run a matrix 800 for power)

and this thing is HEAVY. it would have been nice to have wheels and/or the 2 side handles like someone mentioned. but it's built like a tank and LOUD!

but at the end of the day...i like it! ;) i'm curious about it compared to a CLR, but i don't know anyone in my area with anything like that to compare the two.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom