AFIII Porcupine Tree cover - firmware 3.0

I didn't expect that PT had all these fans around here, they definitely deserve it!
Been listening to them for almost 15 years and they're in my personal top 3.

Damn!

Well done. That bass is corpulent - in a good way!

@shatteredsquare - you're posts on this forum don't agree with me, but total respect for your vocal performance here. Very nice!

If you only had a digital Gavin it would be perfect. ;)

Damn!

Well done. That bass is corpulent - in a good way!

@shatteredsquare - you're posts on this forum don't agree with me, but total respect for your vocal performance here. Very nice!

If you only had a digital Gavin it would be perfect. ;)
Thanks ! Yes I should find the time to fix that MIDI drum track. A couple of decades ago I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on programming drum machines (Roland R5, Alesis SR16 etc) and today I hate that

As promised : here's the bass preset. Nothing spectacular honestly. The second amp is bypassed but can be activated to add some grit - careful with the mix here ! It's just a preset I made on the Axe 2 and tweaked in like 3 minutes to have a passable sound for recording this cover. I need to spend more time on this

Attachments

• TDR Bass 2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 28
A couple of decades ago I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on programming drum machines (Roland R5, Alesis SR16 etc) and today I hate that

I do it in cubase with the time warp tool, with the track set on musical mode. Load up a recording, find the median or start tempo, plug it in at the tempo track start point, then you can stretch the grid to fit the audio transients, audio file stays still and the whole project grid stretches to where you need it.

That way you can have a free time song, or one that the tempo is batshit crazy, and still use the midi grid to program drums, get in at the sample level to drop the drum sample at the right spot, but keeping the hit quantized on the grid, moving the grid to where you want the sample to fall, to to where it's transient falls like a hammer right where the drummer dropped it.

The DAW tempo constantly recalculates the tempo between transient markers, speeds up slows down (along with the click). I can extract the soul of Gavin Harrison or Abe Cunningham and put them on whatever kit I want, the song linked up sample for sample with the recording. (Try to set a click to System of a Down 'Psycho') :eek:

Last edited:
You have my interest ! so if I send you the MIDI file, you can fix it, and specially move the kick in the right places ?

I would love to do "Open car", and also "Jacob's ladder" by Rush :cool:

Yeah yeah if you already have a midi track sketched out I can use it. Was that drum track you got online an audio file or was it midi that you ran through a drum plugin? Those drums sound good! Everything sounds good!

I'll do 'Open Car' and 'Jacob's Ladder' and send u the click maps.

Yeah yeah if you already have a midi track sketched out I can use it. Was that drum track you got online an audio file or was it midi that you ran through a drum plugin? Those drums sound good! Everything sounds good!

I'll do 'Open Car' and 'Jacob's Ladder' and send u the click maps.
Midi file ran through Superior 3, with some post processing (Toontrack samples tends to sound too thin) and parallel comp using GGD Grab and Smash

Back
Top Bottom