Pops even when using SPDIF as clock source

gdgross

Experienced
Hi all. I'm demoing studio one and considering switching DAWs from PT, and i noticed last night that I seemed to get a LOT more pops when recording my AX8 direct via SPDIF in studio one compared to protools. Same interface (apogee ensemble) same cables, same computer, same everything except the software.

In PT, I'd get an occasional pop when recording via spdif, but last night in studio one i was getting them about every bar or so!

Is this even possible?? has anyone else experienced this? I literally didn't change anything except the DAW.

What's your buffer size for I/O?
Hmm, good point, I could have changed the buffer size and not thought about it, was generally working with small buffers last night in S1...

but i wouldn't think the buffer size should matter, that's after all the digital audio info gets clocked in right?

Hmm, good point, I could have changed the buffer size and not thought about it, was generally working with small buffers last night in S1...

but i wouldn't think the buffer size should matter, that's after all the digital audio info gets clocked in right?

The pops might happen because your clocks synchronize incorrectly on your SPDIF. This means that your clock source/polarity might be set incorrectly, generally it should be internal on AXE FX III and on your other device you wanna sync to the clock generator pushed by AXE FX III. On my Focusrite Scarlet 18i20, if that sync is not set to SPDIF it will pop and crackle...Just something to be aware off, that clock polarity and sync has to be done correctly. I explain this briefly in my Using AXE FX III as an External FX Processor for Vocals.

Although most devices are smart figuring out settings automatically, other devices might require your input...Make sure your device SPDIF rate is 48 KHz like the AXE FX III SPDIF sample clock rate...

Back
Top Bottom