Popping noises during recording playbacks?

Joero6

Inspired
I have my FX 2 XL+ running into my laptop via USB cable. The software I am using is Presonus Studio One 3.
At the moment the Axe 2 is set as the soundcard. When I record any audio I get pops and crackles through the recorded audio in various spots. Any suggestions?

Also on a side note, is there a way to set the Axe 2 for recording input and not output. Evrytime I playback, I have to change this setting by hand or my audio comes out of my speaker cabinets instead of my laptops audio.
Any help would be fantastic. Thanks Joe

I guess if you got an interface that handles the I/O.

The popping you're hearing is probably digital clock issues not being the same rate.

Something is probably set to 44.1 instead of 48k. Set everything to 48k.

On the other issue, can you set your DAW audio to output thru your computer not the AXE? I can on a Mac.

It seems like when using the Axe fx as the sound card, presonus is not letting me select axe for input and windows for output?

O.K. Well,

did you check your Presonus settings and make sure they are set to 48k? You should be able to have audio do in and out over USB using the AXE as your interface.
Ohh, are you using guitar speakers? and your playback comes out of those after you record... Hmm

Have you tried your headphone out on playback? Nothing? I'm not a PC guy.

You might have to switch it every time. I checked through the manual. Maybe you need some small powered monitors and you could change the output from 1 to 2 globally.

Sorry, I'm not very much help. Do you have a mixer?

Tell me your signal chain and I may be able to help.

Just checking out the WIKI... maybe you can find your answer here:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=FX_Loop_block

Last edited:
How much CPU does your preset consume? High CPU can cause that.
None of my presets use a lot of cpu. I am assuming that it has been the digital clock differences of 41 to 48k. But I am still having trouble with things not staying changed...not sure what I am missing here. I go in and set a sample rate to 48 and save it and does not stay that way? But the biggest issue I have right now is not being able to set the Axe as input and not as the ouput. I go in and record a passage I have to manually change it back to windows to hear it through my laptop and not my guitar speakers every time. This is not only time consuming but is going to be the deal breaker of me using the Axe Fx this way. I do want to continue to record direct from usb, but not have to switch everytime I need to play back.

None of my presets use a lot of cpu. I am assuming that it has been the digital clock differences of 41 to 48k. But I am still having trouble with things not staying changed...not sure what I am missing here. I go in and set a sample rate to 48 and save it and does not stay that way? But the biggest issue I have right now is not being able to set the Axe as input and not as the ouput. I go in and record a passage I have to manually change it back to windows to hear it through my laptop and not my guitar speakers every time. This is not only time consuming but is going to be the deal breaker of me using the Axe Fx this way. I do want to continue to record direct from usb, but not have to switch everytime I need to play back.
Those are issues with your DAW, not your Axe-Fx. I have no experience with Studio One, so I'll have to bow out here.

An audio interface would help, with some small powered monitors/headphones.

Your AXE would no longer be acting as an interface more of a guitar amplification system.
Come out of the AXE go into the audio interface out of that into the computer... for playback come out of the computer into the audio interface and then into studio monitors.

Another possible solution would be Record Without guitar speakers using IR’s so your playback comes out of your computer into the AXE and into headphones or small studio monitors.

Most interfaces don’t want to process only the input and not the output.

When you say you change your settings to 48K and they don’t stay that way I’m guessing that is a Presonus software issue, check the manual or google other users recording with your software and the fractal and see what they do.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom