Popping Noise?

gdgross

Experienced
I've noticed a slight popping/staticky noise that occurs occasionally when I'm playing through the Axe. Have noticed it on two separate monitor systems, one fed from the 1/4" output and the other fed from the XLR output. I'm not sure if it would appear on the USB outputs as well; I haven't recorded in a couple months. It sounds like a slight pop, occurring normally after I play something. Seems like it's less likely to occur if I play a single note or a couple notes.

It looks like I can't attach a recording, but here's a link to a cheap iPhone recording I took this morning - you can hear the pop at the end when I stop playing. https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6r52bt86a5cel3/Axe Fx 2 Noise.m4a?dl=0

Any thoughts? It's definitely not me hitting the guitar strings when I stop playing or anything.

Thanks!

is it the noise gate chopping off buzz from your pickups, or static electricity discharging, caused from your feet rubbing your carpeting?

Can you bypass any gating, and then don't touch your strings, with your volume and tone turned up to max, and see if you constantly hear that sound?

to the OP, does the noise level increase after the pop every time just like that clip? or was that an artifact of the recording, auto-gain, etc.?

to SockPuppet, that kinda pop sounds like a USB interface issue. i get that from time to time with my x32 either when the session has gone on for hours and/or my cpu is maxed out for a bit. i think it's a buffer or mismatch thing.

to the OP, does the noise level increase after the pop every time just like that clip? or was that an artifact of the recording, auto-gain, etc.?

to SockPuppet, that kinda pop sounds like a USB interface issue. i get that from time to time with my x32 either when the session has gone on for hours and/or my cpu is maxed out for a bit. i think it's a buffer or mismatch thing.

I was in contact with Universal Audio about this. I even got my unit changed, unfortunately the problem was still there even with the new one. So right now I'm trying to narrow everything down. We came to the conclusion that it wasn't a buffer related issue - since changing the buffer size didn't help. (also it would be present on all tracks, but you can clearly see where this occurs in the waveform).

Anyway, I'm not going to obstruct this thread if it's not the same issue :)

Well I turned off the noise gate and I couldn't duplicate the pop, no matter what I played. Seems like that was it.

Any suggestions for noise gate settings to minimize this?

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

What were the settings?

Uploading a preset would probably have led to this discovery much sooner and can still help us diagnose the problem.

Back
Top Bottom