Popping my FX8 cherry

Lee Servis

Inspired
Hi all,
I’m taking delivery of a new FX8 Mk II in a week’s time. I’ve always gone down the analog pedals/ pedalboard route but was recently turned onto the FX8 option by a bass player friend of mine who - while not using one himself - was blown away at a gig by a guy using an FX8.

So being a complete digital multi-fx unit novice - and you FX8 veterans will all no doubt be sick to death of such queries by a complete rookie such as myself - I was wondering if there were an MUST-HAVE tips or advice for someone (without any real digital effects pedalboard e perience) taking their first faltering, baby steps with the FX8.
I will, of course, read the manual (several times I reckon) and I fully expect a very steep learning curve... but if there are any nuggets of knowledge or pearls of wisdom which may help me avoid long, time-consuming - often common - trial and error pitfalls I would be HUGELY grateful.
I appreciate this is a very vague question/ post... but from what I’ve read on the forum, the Fractal folk seem knowledgeable, supportive and helpful to lesser mortals such as myself. I’m hoping someone out there reads this and thinks: “that was me a few weeks/ months ago... or some complete beginner tips that should help.”
I could be more specific... if I knew exactly what to be specific about.Lol.
Many many thanks in anticipation of any helps, tips advice which will set me on my way to fully using owing the FX8 as much as many of you seem to be.
All the best,
Lee

You are in for one Hell of a great ride & the FX8 into a tube amp is a real jaw dropper!!!!

Welcome to the Fractal Family & that’s what it really is....a cool family of guitar nerds......

Peace! X-Mann

Bookmark Axe Fx II Wiki - http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Special:PrefixIndex - Most questions are anwered here.

Resist the urge to put all the effects you may want to use in every preset. Think minimalistic per preset, effects you don't use still take CPU space.

Sit down and determine how you want to layout the footswitches. Be as consistent as you can where you place certain functions and effects; i.e. Control Switches, Scenes, Drive, Delay 1, Delay 2 etc.... Makes it easier to remember what switch does what from preset to preset rather than trying to remember which effect you used.

Spend some time learning to navigate on the unit itself. FX8 Edit is great but it's very beneficial to know where to find something on the unit itself.

Congrats to you on your FX8 purchase!

I never wanted one or had a desire to get one.....& then my gear jounrent & purchase of the AX8 took me on a trip backwards through time. I ended up with multiple tube amps (based on amp models I loved in the AX8) & then the FX8. Each person looks for & needs something different based on their environment, playing style & guitars. The FX8 is my “Game Changer” piece of gear & I hope that you find yours too someday.

The FX8 is an amazing device that was designed for tube amps & the 4-cable method. It was designed at unity gain & has a zero noise floor with no amp tone change or extra color from what your amp already produces.

One of the next biggest advantages inside the FX8 is just how simple it is to get stellar FX. I find it much easier than useing the AX8 that I also own & love. It takes the amp/cab/IR thing out of the equation & the 2nd guessing of a better IR & too much tweaking w/ deep amp parameters.

Note: I do think that the AX8 is a stand-out for digitally modeled tones into an FRFR system, but that’s for a different thread.

What amp are you going to run your FX8 with again?

I have some (around 50+) stellar song based presets for the Mesa TC50 & some for the Friedman Runt & Carvin Legacy-3. Each one set-up with amp channel switching by midi, TRS & midi again....

You are welcome to my presets, but building your own is way easy & the way to go in my eyes.

Take your time & go through the factory presets & pluck out (aka Copy/paste) the ones that stand-out to you the most at 1st. Then tweak them for your guitars, pickups & fx mix. Once you figure out say “Your TS808” setting, you’ll be set with that pedal on any preset you build with it via copy/paste.

Figure out your preset layout & if you are only going to run one or two presets....or a single preset for each song. Test this out too as far as the switching goes.

I’m here to help and PM me at any time & if I can answer your questions or help out, I will.

2 of my 3 amp set-ups produced no extra buzz, hiss or noise. A ground loop issue in the Carvin Legacy-3 did cause me an issue doe to the metal chassis & it was broken by an Ebtech HUM-X on the power cable of the amp itself.

Make your presets at volume with you tube amp no matter how painful that is! It will get your FX dialed in mix wise.....

I’m a HUGE fan of the “Clyde wah”, Phaser 45 & the TS808 Drive pedal. The RC Booster & AC Booster pedals are spot on, but I had to mess with them to get them there for a bit.

The delays & reverbs are real stand-outs as is the instant switching & scenes.

The Axe Edit software is great for a visual representation of what your doing.....& after you get your footswich buttons set (I use 2 to 4 scenes on the bottom row & then go from top left with Drive, phaser or Chorus, Delay & boost). This makes it very easy to tweak a little on the fly if needed, but I’ve only had a few small level issues w/ the drive pedals.

Again, congrats & good luck....

X

Here’s a link that shows my FX8 preset layout style & what I found works best for me......but there are many ways to skin a cat. :eek:

Thank you Sonofiam for the link and the beginner tips (both greatly appreciated and will be very useful, I'm sure).
X-Mann,thank you for such a full and detailed response - exactly the kind of "hands on", speaking from experience kind of tips/ advice I was looking for. Your enthusiasm for the FX8 is infectious - in fact yours were some of the first FX8 YouTube clips I watched... and I see you pop up on the forums (I only joined a couple of days ago but was looking at the forums before that).
My three current amps - remember, I have always been an analog pedals guy - are:
Fender Blues Jnr - no send an return, so can only go PRE.
Marshall DSL 15 - no send an return, so can only go PRE.
Mesa Boogie Rectoverb 25 combo - does have send and return so can go PRE/POST... using Four Cable Method.

I am also - off the vback of reading many FX/amp related posts thinking of buying a Friedman tube amp... or one of the Quilter Pro amps. Any thoughts on either?

I believe I've read that if I keep my non-Send & Return amps clean, the traditionally POST effects (Reverb, Delay etc) will still perform very well sonically? I really should try the 4CM with the Mesa though to really hear what the difference(s) is/ are.

Can someone - in layman's terms (I am SUCH a technophobe when it comes to this kind of thing, but looking forward to learning) - explains exactly what UNITY GAIN is? What does it do exactly? Again, I thank anyone in advance for any help.

X-Mann: thanks for the 'Preset tweaking' advice in terms of getting each effect (such as Drive etc) just as I want it, SAVE it and then I'll be able to COPY & PASTE that particular incarnation of that effect into other PRESETS.

Two final quick questions for now...
1) With SCENES... do I need to set up/ adjust the eight of them that are with the PRESET, or are there eight 'default' SCENES already 'programmed' into each PRESET?
2) Withe the X/Y option... again, is the Y option already 'programmed' in or do I build/ tweak the Y alternative from scratch - albeit with the effects from the original X option?

And, finally, X-Mann... thank you immensely for your very generous offer of continued help and support. Much appreciated.

All the best,
Lee

Thank you Sonofiam for the link and the beginner tips (both greatly appreciated and will be very useful, I'm sure).
X-Mann,thank you for such a full and detailed response - exactly the kind of "hands on", speaking from experience kind of tips/ advice I was looking for. Your enthusiasm for the FX8 is infectious - in fact yours were some of the first FX8 YouTube clips I watched... and I see you pop up on the forums (I only joined a couple of days ago but was looking at the forums before that).
My three current amps - remember, I have always been an analog pedals guy - are:
Mesa Boogie Rectoverb 25 combo - does have send and return so can go PRE/POST... using Four Cable Method.

I am also - off the vback of reading many FX/amp related posts thinking of buying a Friedman tube amp... or one of the Quilter Pro amps. Any thoughts on either?

I believe I've read that if I keep my non-Send & Return amps clean, the traditionally POST effects (Reverb, Delay etc) will still perform very well sonically? I really should try the 4CM with the Mesa though to really hear what the difference(s) is/ are.

Can someone - in layman's terms (I am SUCH a technophobe when it comes to this kind of thing, but looking forward to learning) - explains exactly what UNITY GAIN is? What does it do exactly? Again, I thank anyone in advance for any help.

X-Mann: thanks for the 'Preset tweaking' advice in terms of getting each effect (such as Drive etc) just as I want it, SAVE it and then I'll be able to COPY & PASTE that particular incarnation of that effect into other PRESETS.

1) With SCENES... do I need to set up/ adjust the eight of them that are with the PRESET, or are there eight 'default' SCENES already 'programmed' into each PRESET?
2) Withe the X/Y option... again, is the Y option already 'programmed' in or do I build/ tweak the Y alternative from scratch - albeit with the effects from the original X option?

And, finally, X-Mann... thank you immensely for your very generous offer of continued help and support. Much appreciated.

All the best,
Lee
No worries at all here Lee & it takes a village to get it all figured out & working at times. What is your end purpose/environment for your FX8 rig? Cover band, Blues jams, Metal.....Duo, church or just home jamming? Are you getting a new amp to run w/ your FX8?

I’m NOT a super technical guy or a deep tweaker, but I’ve learned a lot more than I ever thought I could from all the great guys here, M@, Mark Day, Leon Todd & SO many more......Reading the manual is your friend & don’t eat the whole elephant either. Lol

There are 8-Scenes automatically built into each preset, but it’s up to you to activate that Scene, make the on/off changes you need/want & then hit the SAVE button.

I run my presets with the 1st 3 to 4 bottom switches as Scenes & the top row from left to right as Drive, Flange/Chorus, Delay & then Filter Boost. This is what I developed from a lot of trial and error, but you may go a different route.

A lot of times I get ALL of my “X” setting correct 1st. Then I’ll take the “X” setting for my TS808 drive pedal & save it to the “Y” setting, then make a gain or volume change for solos.

I do this all the time....Like setting up a Chorus block w/ a lower mix for “X” & then a deeper mix on the “Y”.

The great thing about the FX8 layout is that things that stay off can change per Scene.

Ex. I’m not a fan of a volume pedal & set my amps output level & then play the entire show. I have and use the “Filter Boost” block......For a main rythem Scene it’s set at a 1.2db Boost (X) & saved to OFF. If the band gets loud or I want the extra juice, I turn on the Boost. The “Y” for the Filter Boost is set to a +4db for solos. I play in a very loud band & use a 3.2db Boost with my other band. Experiment for a bit & just test out a few things. Take some notes, screen shots & remeber to use your ears & not your eyes.

On songs where I use a slight amount of Chorus on...well...the chorus of a song to make it sound bigger/different, I may set that block up with a 1/2db Boost right at the chorus block itself. That way when I hit it as the song & band get bigger dynamically, so do I. These are just little ideas for you to start to think about....

You need to put time in on any unit to get the most out of it, there will be mistakes & failures along the way......but when you do get there, it will be an amazing experience sonically for you. I’m eXcited for you & your tone quest....\m/

Your guitars, pickups, amps & more all make a huge difference in what works for you.

Thank you for the kind words & I’m glad my eXtra enthusiasm amused you buddy! I love playing guitar, making music & talking gear with good people.....Oh....& I’m a Fractal Fan Boy.....So take everything I say with that in mind. :eek::D:cool:

Again, Welcome to Team FAS!!!!

Peace! Tim

PS - Here’s my original FX8 thread....You’ll laugh, you’ll cry & you’ll kiss 10-minutes good bye!!! :p

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/blown-away-by-the-fx8-mkii-xs-journey.120464/page-7

Last edited:

All the best,
Lee
Regarding amps, the Quilter is typically used as a power amp for amp modelers. Some users like their inherent tone and use them as a clean base for a pedalboard like the FX8. I don't know what Friedman amps you've researched. They make amps like the Dirty Shirley and Runt that are along the lines of the amps you already have, guitar amps with their own tone. They also make amps like the ASM and ASC that are designed to be used with a modeler. No right or wrong answer here but just remember that the FX8 is not an amp modeler, it's an effects processor, so your core tone is going to come from the amp you use. At the end of the day it will come down to what you prefer to get the tones you want.

As far as running effects into the front of an amp, the FX8 works great. I use it with a 65 Amps London Pro, no effects loop, and it works great. Effects loops are typically on clean to low gain amps so the time based effects like delay and reverb don't get distorted by the amp;s preamp section. I do use a volume pedal and configure the FX8 to use the Global volume and place it between the Pre and Post effects so I can use the volume pedal for swells and have the delay trails continue.
The routing looks like this:

Guitar > IN 1 (Pre) > OUT 1 (Pre) > IN 2 (Post) > OUT 2 (Post) > Amp input.
Use a jumper or patch cable from OUT 1 (Pre) to IN 2 (Post)
All connections use the L (Left) jack on the FX8

Placing a delay in front of a driven amp does offer a cool effect. Pete Thorn has a video on YouTube that shows how he does this to get some of Van Halen's tones.

Unity gain is a subject with different views. To me, it means that my volume is the same with the FX8 engaged and in True Bypass. It also means that the effects I use do not increase or reduce my overall volume when engaged, unless of course that's what I need the effect to do.

You will need to create your own scenes in the presets you build, there are no default scenes starting with a blank preset. The factory presets and most presets created by other users will have at least a couple of scenes.

Both the X and Y states will have a model from the particular block loaded. If you want a different model, you will need to select and tweak it to your liking. Once you have a block the way you want it you can save it to the Block Library for future use. You also have the option of copying and pasting just the X or Y state of an effect as well. For example, if you like the X state of a delay in a new preset you're creating and the Y in another, you can copy that Y state and paste it to the block in the new preset.

Sonofiam (and X-Mann previously)... thank you SO, SO much for taking the time and effort to share these wonderful pearls of wisdom with me. Already things are starting to make a lot more sense and I am even further enthused by the impending arrival of my FX8 Mk II next week. Much, much appreciated... as I head off to re-read your words.

Cheers
Lee

Back
Top Bottom