Popping During Scene Change

lwknives

Power User
Just got my Axe Fx III last night and created a kitchen sink preset. I noticed after spending about an hour creating the preset that when I switch scenes (using scene toggle on the FC12) that I get a very loud pop. It doesnt matter which scene I switch from or to, every scene change causes a loud pop. I have my FC set up to toggle between scenes 1/5, 2/6, 3/7 and 4/8, again, switching any of these scenes causes a pop. Also, using the nave button to scroll through the scenes causes the same pop.

My question is: what kind of things should I look for that would cause loud popping when changing scenes?

Unless I inadvertently have a scene switching Channels or something else I am unaware of the scenes are only being used to select between 4 different parallel delays each with Mix at 100% and bypass mode set to mute in.

Also, my preset has lots of control switches moving parameters around but I have it set up to where scenes wont change the CS state (value set to last). The things Im controlling using control switches work great with smooth transitions.

Also, my preset is at 82% CPU if that matters.

On another note, the thing sounds amazing! Big improvement in tone coming from the Ax8 which is not something I was expecting. I'm using a mutually exclusive group of control switches to change amp gain and add drives and compressors and the tonal flexibility is just awesome. My preset has 5 levels of gain from perfectly clean to crazy distortion with completely seamless switching!

You'll be asked to post your preset... and also log a case, heading that off :)
I’ll get that done eventually! I was just looking for tips in general. I know it’s my preset because the factory presets switch scenes just fine.

Just got my Axe Fx III last night and created a kitchen sink preset. I noticed after spending about an hour creating the preset that when I switch scenes (using scene toggle on the FC12) that I get a very loud pop. It doesnt matter which scene I switch from or to, every scene change causes a loud pop. I have my FC set up to toggle between scenes 1/5, 2/6, 3/7 and 4/8, again, switching any of these scenes causes a pop. Also, using the nave button to scroll through the scenes causes the same pop.

My question is: what kind of things should I look for that would cause loud popping when changing scenes?

Unless I inadvertently have a scene switching Channels or something else I am unaware of the scenes are only being used to select between 4 different parallel delays each with Mix at 100% and bypass mode set to mute in.

Also, my preset has lots of control switches moving parameters around but I have it set up to where scenes wont change the CS state (value set to last). The things Im controlling using control switches work great with smooth transitions.

Also, my preset is at 82% CPU if that matters.

On another note, the thing sounds amazing! Big improvement in tone coming from the Ax8 which is not something I was expecting. I'm using a mutually exclusive group of control switches to change amp gain and add drives and compressors and the tonal flexibility is just awesome. My preset has 5 levels of gain from perfectly clean to crazy distortion with completely seamless switching!
Are you on the most recent firmware?

I know that in the past, users have reported popping when loading certain amps, and FAS subsequently resolved the issue with a firmware update. I’d check that first.
Could be that but my amps are not changing at all when swapping scenes. Both amps are always engaged and on CHA.

Heres the preset. I removed half of the preset to see if CPU effects anything.
This is just a test preset at this point, Im not using scenes to change anything so Im not sure why its still causing a pop.

To re create pop just switch scenes while playing.

The Control Switches 1-4 are used in this preset to change the gain level and select between amps and such.

Attachments

• AC-20 PW.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
Here is a video showing the volume spike on the meter page. I think this may be a bug because scenes aren’t changing anything in those blocks.

I'm very curious to see the response. I've run into this on a kitchen sink patch as well, and it persists on 10.02.

There's a lot to figure out in the preset without any explanation of the goals for each scene and configuring my FC to match your controllers.

What I heard when trying to troubleshoot was, to my ears, not really a "popping" but rather the processed input signal being retained, almost like an unwanted spillover, which is initially heard whenever changing scenes. If the guitar is not sustaining (no input signal) or the volume on the guitar is off, there was no noise when changing scenes when I messed around with it.

I also noticed that if the path going to the top amp (in Axe Edit) is left intact and the bottom amp path is cut after the stacked PEQ blocks, the noise goes away.

Interesting, I was building a kitchen sink preset yesterday and ran into this. It turned out that I had two amp blocks and one of the channels in the amp block didn’t have the right bypass state. That coupled with a reverb and tape delay turning on was my issue.

Back
Top Bottom