Popping During Scene Change

There's a lot to figure out in the preset without any explanation of the goals for each scene and configuring my FC to match your controllers.

What I heard when trying to troubleshoot was, to my ears, not really a "popping" but rather the processed input signal being retained, almost like an unwanted spillover, which is initially heard whenever changing scenes. If the guitar is not sustaining (no input signal) or the volume on the guitar is off, there was no noise when changing scenes when I messed around with it.

I also noticed that if the path going to the top amp (in Axe Edit) is left intact and the bottom amp path is cut after the stacked PEQ blocks, the noise goes away.
Thanks for looking into it! To make the gain staging work you need to have you FC set up with Control Switches 1-4 set up in a mutually exclusive group.
The preset I posted had scenes labeled but they weren’t supposed to be changing anything.
Originally I had scenes selecting 8 different time based FX setting. Everything worked except for the loud pop (or short increase in signal).
I removed all the blocks that were being changed by scenes and still have the issue. The preset I posted should not have anything changing when swapping scenes but there is.
It’s almost like it re- initializes each control switch from on to off at the same time. Not sure if that’s a bug or if the III just isn’t capable of doing what I want.

It is weird that with all that’s happening with control switches on the first row it still doesn’t make the pop...

I was able to get rid of the popping by switching the controls switches from the bypass state of the EQ blocks to the level parameter. Now instead of bypassing the blocks it just turns the signal down to -80 dB. The preset works pretty much as I had planned at this point.

I double checked and I am on 10.2.

I think this is a bug that has to do with using Control Switches attached to the bypass state of PEQs and filters when the bypass mode is set to mute.

@FractalAudio I have figured out a workaround so that my preset works as expected but this may cause issues for other users.

I have this issue also. Happens in different presets in different ways. Popping/loud thump between scenes. My 2 latest are not even "kitchen sink" presets. Just an X/Y amp and a couple different effects on and off between scenes.

It does seem to have something to do with whether or not I'm sustaining the guitar into the new preset, but not entirely.

I have this issue too. Mine are usually between distortion to clean, or distorted, delayed, and reverbed, to clean. And when I isolate, err troubleshoot I typically find it's the Amp level from one scene to another are different. I find that if the amp level is higher in the scene, I am switching too then pop. I find that Delay sometimes carries over delay when it should not. The only fix I find typically is the amp level if that doesn't work then I find myself muting the strings before switching and I'm not too happy about this. But I have not complained to Fractal Audio about it yet because I love the sounds I get and typically it's me that is causing the issues. Not sure if it's the fractal but you're not alone on this.

I have this issue too. Mine are usually between distortion to clean, or distorted, delayed, and reverbed, to clean. And when I isolate, err troubleshoot I typically find it's the Amp level from one scene to another are different. I find that if the amp level is higher in the scene, I am switching too then pop. I find that Delay sometimes carries over delay when it should not. The only fix I find typically is the amp level if that doesn't work then I find myself muting the strings before switching and I'm not too happy about this. But I have not complained to Fractal Audio about it yet because I love the sounds I get and typically it's me that is causing the issues. Not sure if it's the fractal but you're not alone on this.

I would guess that in 2+ years since this was posted the OP either fixed the issue or smashed his AxeFx with a hammer.

I just realized this post was from 2019. but I'm not even a full year with my Axe Fx3 so this is what I found when I was having and kind of still do when creating a new preset. oh, here is the link https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Reverb_block#Reverb_Mix_Law "When using Mix to control the volume level of the Reverb, the volume level of the dry signal is affected also. In other words, when increasing Reverb with Mix, the dry signal's level decreases. To deal with this: turn up Mix to 50% and set Level to +3dB and use Input Gain to set the desired amount of Reverb. Or put the Reverb in a parallel row with Mix at 100% and use Level or Input Gain to set the desired reverb level."

Exactly jmpatric lol. but I was trying to figure out the same issue and through others have been able to fix and improve on my sounds. So, I wanted to add my 2 cents to help.

I would guess that in 2+ years since this was posted the OP either fixed the issue or smashed his AxeFx with a hammer.
My work around got rid of the popping. Never resolved the issue with bypassing blocks causing pops.
The new scene ignore feature means I don’t need to create presets like this any more so it’s kind of a moo point.

Back
Top Bottom