Pondering the move from an XL - how easy is transition?

geoangus

Inspired
I’ve had an XL for a few years now, but I’m considering downsizing to an AX8. I don’t use the XL for recording, just cover band gig stuff. While we only play out 1-2x per month, I’m getting tired of carrying a rack and the MFC board. Having a single board would be so much nicer and easier.

So for those who switched from the AXE FX, how easy was the transition to the AX8? Were there features in the FX that you missed in the 8? I’m not a deep editor at all, I just need X/Y, scene controllers and an output to FOH as well as one to my CLR.

I’m pretty sure I’d not regret the switch, but it took me a few years to save up for the XL rig. I have to know it would be a wise move, as I would likely not be able to go back for a while.

Thanks

I think it would be pretty easy. Guys use it like you want I am pretty sure, but they will chime in.

I had an XL for years for my studio. Sold it and now have an Ax8.
The AX8 editor is different and there is a little less horsepower for complex patches, but otherwise it is pretty intuitive.

I’ve had an XL for a few years now, but I’m considering downsizing to an AX8. I don’t use the XL for recording, just cover band gig stuff. While we only play out 1-2x per month, I’m getting tired of carrying a rack and the MFC board. Having a single board would be so much nicer and easier.

So for those who switched from the AXE FX, how easy was the transition to the AX8? Were there features in the FX that you missed in the 8? I’m not a deep editor at all, I just need X/Y, scene controllers and an output to FOH as well as one to my CLR.

I’m pretty sure I’d not regret the switch, but it took me a few years to save up for the XL rig. I have to know it would be a wise move, as I would likely not be able to go back for a while.

Thanks

Hi @geoangus I bought the AX8 for the exact same reason. I have an Ax Fx II XL and was using it with a Matrix amp and Matrix 2x12 cab. It sounds amazing but the set up/break down gets on your nerves after a late gig. I was thinking of going direct to FOH but I would still need the rack case and the MFC. The Ax8 is perfect for cover band gigs. Honestly, the AX8 sounds every bit as good as the XL and so much easier. It does take some time to learn how to use the AX8 effectively but I actually learned some things I didn't know about using the XL in the process.

The transition for me was not bad at all. I chose to not try to import my presets from the XL. I picked the same amps that I normally use with the same effects, etc and I reconstructed my presets. IMO, that is the best way to go because you learn lots more and I was able to really improve the sound of my presets with good guidance from folks on this forum. I also -re-arranged my presets so they are all in one bank and I never have to leave that bank during a show.

The first time I used the Ax8 at a show and went FOH I had only had the AX8 for 2 weeks and I didn't even really know what I was doing yet. It was only an hour set so I basically just set up a few presets to get me through the show and did literally no tweaking except for adjusting preset levels. I went xlr in out1 to FOH and got a monitor mix. The sound man said it sounded amazing. As someone else on the forum said, this is the most gig ready gear I have ever used. I'm a big fan now. I hope they always keep a floor based model like the AX8.

I recently bought the Mission Gemini II FRFR amp/speaker since we play a lot of small rooms where there's no need to go to FOH. The Ax8 sounds incredible in the Gemini II and has plenty of power for any venue. The only downside is carrying the Gemini II but it's still a simpler rig with less pieces than the old rig.

Best of luck. Let us know how you do and if you discover anything cool.

From what I've seen on this forum the hardest part about the move from XL to X8 is that you have to think a bit differently. The limited horsepower means that you will probably need more presets than before. Also, you need to embrace AX8s dynamic footswitch assignments. If you want to have static footswitch assignments like on the MFC, you soon run out of switches.

Also, you need to embrace AX8s dynamic footswitch assignments. If you want to have static footswitch assignments like on the MFC, you soon run out of switches.
So unlike the Axe/MFC rig, where my drive/delay/chorus/etc switch is always in the same spot regardless of preset(unless I change switch assignments), you’re saying the AX8 effect switches bounce around with each preset?

I went from the XL to the AX8 with no problems. Just sold my XL to fund the purchase of the III next month. I don’t have any crazy presets so I had no issues. You can assign the 1-8 buttons on the AX8 to be basically whatever you want.

So unlike the Axe/MFC rig, where my drive/delay/chorus/etc switch is always in the same spot regardless of preset(unless I change switch assignments), you’re saying the AX8 effect switches bounce around with each preset?
You decide the position of each block/footswitch assignment. You can do it globally, but then you may find eight footswitches to be too few.

I wrote it down 'cause I figured people would ask: Adapting an Axe-Fx II preset to the AX8

Since that post I've gotten better and better at stacking things on X/Y changes in a preset. I can spend all night at a gig on a single AX8 preset if I wanted to and I wouldn't feel constrained. Turns out: a lot of the things I was cramming into my kitchen sink presets, I don't use on the gig.

My needs as a performer are pretty simple. I don't have any monster presets. I got my AX8 for the same reason. I wanted to simplify my live rig. The AX8 sounds amazing. Yes it has less horsepower, but that has never been a problem for me. Once you figure out how to organize the footswitches (there are many options) it is a great tool for the gigging guitarist. I transport my AX8 in a rolling laptop bag. The laptop bag holds my AX8, expression pedal, wires, and all the misc stuff I need (small toolkit).

If you do lots of editing from the front panel, I found the AX8 interface to be a bit of an adjustment and actually more cumbersome than the AxeFX II. But once I got use to it, it was no big deal.

The transition was much easier than I thought it would be. I too had worried, but if you are familiar with the AXE-FX it really is the same but different. I read the manual watched a few vids and boom it does exactly what I wanted it to do. I just chose 8 amps ( presets ) I liked set up a peadalboard FX for each one. Don't use scenes or x/y so for me it does exactly what I wanted by default.

Yes, sort of, but you can put them in the same spots if you want for your presets.

Yeah the front panel is a bit less friendly than the AXFX so I had to learn to use the editor. But as it sits on the floor I cant really see the buttons anyhow , old people eyesight ugh. I do like the front panel Amp knobs though very spiffy.

I have been using the on board reverb built into my mixer (Behringer Xair12) not as great but it frees up a ton of CPU on the AX8 and never really think about it.

Back
Top Bottom