Pompous songs

Piing

Axe-Master
Most songs at the "Epic 70's songs and bands" thread are not epic at all, but I have found interesting new things there. As Admin M@ has noted, nowadays people uses "epic" as a synonym of cool, not as long and grandiose or philosophical.

Let's try with pompous, and see where it goes.

This is what I peceive as pompous

BTW, if you don't know Van Der Graaf Generator yet, you cannot miss the album Pawn Hearts

Wakeman's cape is hyper-pompous :D
rick-wakeman-king-arthur-embed-08.jpg

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is unbearable pompous to me, so I don't post the video 🤮😆

Last edited:
I think of pompous as more the attitude, style as opposed to the actual music - doing pop/rock/metal... without coming across as pompous is a balancing act imo - some make the mistake of talking/explaining too much - Spinal Tap is such a treasure because I think there's a fair amount of truth / real life in what they are portraying.

I think of pompous as more the attitude, style as opposed to the actual music - doing pop/rock/metal... without coming across as pompous is a balancing act imo - some make the mistake of talking/explaining too much - Spinal Tap is such a treasure because I think there's a fair amount of truth / real life in what they are portraying.

Aaaaaaaahhh. You can go an 'ave a bite, aaaaaaaaahhh, you still be 'earin' that one! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Is pompous the same as pretentious?
Pretty close I'd say

Dictionary says:
  • pompous=Affectedly grand, solemn, or self-important.
  • pretentious=Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed.

but I would say that talent or originality can negate pomposity - which makes this thread challenging (+ we can't run loose like in the other thread) - dunno - was Pink Floyd pompous? - I mean, here's a giant pig! with a fireball beside it - but I think they pulled it off given the talent

Last edited:
I think so. Most of the synonyms seem to be in the context of a person's negative character traits, so it seems to stretch the meaning of the word when applied to music, imo.
+1, and outward character can be misinterpreted - ie: some might consider Ted Nugent pompous, but in this instance he may have been just protecting rock and roll guitar players from a legitimate threat

sorry - I'm lost here - going back to the 70s thread

Most songs at the "Epic 70's songs and bands" thread are not epic at all, but I have found interesting new things there. As Admin M@ has noted, nowadays people uses "epic" as a synonym of cool, not as long and grandiose or philosophical.

Let's try with pompous, and see where it goes.

This is what I see as pompous

BTW, if you don't know Van Der Graaf Generator yet, you cannot miss the album Pawn Hearts

Wakeman's cape is pompous :D
rick-wakeman-king-arthur-embed-08.jpg

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is unbearable pompous to me, so I don't post the video 🤮😆

As someone who loves prog rock from the 70s, I think Wakeman’s cape is epic!!!

Today much of that stuff seems pompous, but when it was new, it was mind-blowing. (Although that might have had something to do with the $20/oz weed we were smoking back then, lol.)

I have one of the very best pompous (and brilliant) bands to share. Have to go get my cape
and my very best Fedora first, though. :)

There is a subtle difference between pompous and grandiose. Pompous is a kind of grandiose, but not all grandiose is pompous. Pompous has an additional essence that I don't know how to describe.

Even in nature, I would call this is pompous:_________________________And this grandiose:
american-toad_9075.jpg
humpback-whale-breech-panama.jpg

Pompous:____________________________________Grandiose:
1642592628264.jpeg 150526-bb-king_ab28c333291ca8631e2197bcf8d7ffd6.nbcnews-fp-1200-800-e1503295542106.jpg

Are we all on the same page?:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom