Polytune

slinky005

Power User
I don't get why this is so popular.
I own one and when I tune with it, I need to fine tune using the Axe tuner.
The digital display does not have the resolution needed for an accurate tuner.

Reactions: MSS
The only time I use the polytune is when I'm plugged into input 2 in the Axe since it does not connect to the Axe tuner.

I think the idea is to be fast and efficient, while getting you 'close enough'

I.e. something sounds off during a song, you can just strum open once to see which string it is and then tune that one string and be done with it.

I have the clip on version for my travel guitar but I can't get used to (or trust) the actual poly feature.... Works ok for a regular clip on tuner though. My buddy has the pedal and uses it as it his primary tuner and he seems fine with it. Ymmv I guess.

I’ve never been a fan, and with floating bridges I find I need to tune string my string anyways

Not a bad product or idea, but I find a good accurate single string tuner gets the job done just as fast and more accurately overall

But PolyTune is also a single string tuner. Just strum the strings one at a time. I use the multi-string mode only to check which strings are out of tune, not to tune per se.

in my experience, it takes longer for people to tune with a polytune than just a single string tuner. they hit all strings, figure out which string is out.... and then they usually tune all the strings anyway. as mentioned, for floating trem systems, you can't just adjust one string usually anyway.

The best poly tuner I’ve used is included in the amazing Midi Guitar 2 app, which continues to impress and improve as the hardware it runs on gets faster and more powerful, and I always recommend it as a fantastic match with the AxeFx
Www.jamorigin.com

I have tried one and agreed with posts above - too hard to use - still have to tune all strings with floating bridge etc... IMHO you just can't go wrong with the 'ol Boss TU3...

The one advantage I see with a polytune feature is using it live. It provides the ability to strum the strings and see which one(s) are out of tune between songs then knowing which, if any, need to be tuned instead of checking each one. Fine tuning in this scenario with a floating bridge won't knock the rest out of tune. If you're going from standard to drop tuning, that's another matter.

The one advantage I see with a polytune feature is using it live. It provides the ability to strum the strings and see which one(s) are out of tune between songs then knowing which, if any, need to be tuned instead of checking each one. Fine tuning in this scenario with a floating bridge won't knock the rest out of tune. If you're going from standard to drop tuning, that's another matter.
I've tried this with the clip on one....just totally inaccurate until I do 1 string at a time.
I figured the one I got was defective. Good as a regular tuner, but useless when I strum all strings at the same time. I get incorrect readings.

I've tried this with the clip on one....just totally inaccurate until I do 1 string at a time.
I figured the one I got was defective. Good as a regular tuner, but useless when I strum all strings at the same time. I get incorrect readings.
Sorry to hear, I have the clip on as well and have used it the way I described with good success. Seems to be the nature of gear though; some things work for some people, not so much for others.

It’s a gimmick for sure. But gimmicks appeal to the lowest common denominator, so they sell a lot of em. It’s a garbage tuner though.

I must be the only one who uses them and has no issue with them. Then again I never do the strumming thing and use it like a regular tuner. I never use the tuner in the Axe, other then as a mute.

I used to use a polytuner live to check whether or not I am in tune. I loved being able to do that, but now with the AX8 I just go the single string route.

I must be the only one who uses them and has no issue with them. Then again I never do the strumming thing and use it like a regular tuner. I never use the tuner in the Axe, other then as a mute.

You’re not the only one for sure. I use and like mine.

Back
Top Bottom