Wish Polyphonic Synth

... That said, there are a handful of different ways to approach it depending on your endgame.

Right now my setup is AX8 (I'm on the waitlist for the FM3) running via S/PDIF to Scarlett 6i6; from there the channel one out runs to my power amp and speakers, and of course it runs to my laptop (windows 10) via USB.

If I were to incorporate MG2 into that setup, I imagine I would run it on the laptop and route through the out2 and in2 of the AX8 (FM3) via the Scarlett 6i6 inputs 3&4 and outputs 3&4. Or at least that's my guess.

Right now my setup is AX8 (I'm on the waitlist for the FM3) running via S/PDIF to Scarlett 6i6; from there the channel one out runs to my power amp and speakers, and of course it runs to my laptop (windows 10) via USB.

If I were to incorporate MG2 into that setup, I imagine I would run it on the laptop and route through the out2 and in2 of the AX8 (FM3) via the Scarlett 6i6 inputs 3&4 and outputs 3&4. Or at least that's my guess.
So far for my experiments I have been using the iTrack iPad recording interface (as recommended by another forum user).

On the Axe Fx III I send out from Output 4 to the iTrack (mono) and send the iTrack output (stereo) to Input 4 on the Axe Fx.

This way I can put the MG2 signal wherever I want in the signal chain, such as before my Reverb, Delay, etc.

If you don't already have it, the AudioKit Synth One app is a really good free Synth. I still need to play around more with getting it to work better with the pitch bend, but the sound shaping capability is nice.

They also have FM Player, which is also free.
I don't have an iPad or any iOS devices. If I can make the time for it, I'll look into the MG2 again; and hopefully that will do what I'm looking for. This thread has got me thinking in that direction again.

There's also a new Fishman TriplePlay device/app being released soon. It's worth having a look if you play anything polyphonic with close intervals but will be a bit pricier than MG2 if you already have a computer or iOS device.

Nice that you can move MG2 around in your Axe-Fx III's signal chain like that! Pretty much why I want an Axe-Fx III but it's a ways off yet...

There's also a new Fishman TriplePlay device/app being released soon. It's worth having a look if you play anything polyphonic with close intervals but will be a bit pricier than MG2 if you already have a computer or iOS device.
I considered the Fishman... But due to where the heck pickup must be mounted, it won't work on most of my guitars - no room between bridge pickup and tremolo.

Additionally, I already have a GK-2a and Roland GR-30. But you can't easily move the pickup and it has similar mounting constraints... Plus I loathe the 13 pin cable.

Be interesting to compare this to the EHX pedals.

I think pretty apples and oranges products really, the EHX stuff has pretty poor tracking and is really difficult to play (imho). The SY300 in comparison was pretty great, honestly felt like using a guitar with a midi pickup, just really responsive and expressive.

This new pedal looks cool because it can have it’s own loop, do hold effects for the synth sounds with a pedal, and looks like you can also use an expression pedal for filter sweeps etc

The EHX kind of makes a handful of sounds and is a little gimmicky (again IMO) but this new Boss one looks a bit more like an actual instrument.

Have to wait for some real reviews to tell if it’s really like a mini SY300 or not though. That is a killer pedal but the size and cost were hard to justify with my rather limited use of it.

Last edited:
Ah; the reason I dismissed the SY-300 is because it apparently can't import midi instrument sounds, which is what I'm primarily interested in. I'm wanting to create string pads, woodwind pads, etc, to play over.

How about a Full Polyphonic synth block that can handle chords aswell as single notes?

Something that can compete with the Boss Sy300 for example, and does not require a separate pickup, obviously.

I also have an SY-300 that I use for some color and texture and it's incredible how there's absolutely no delay in tracking. I believe the reason is that it doesn't do any tracking, but uses some sort of granular synthesis mechanism to produce its sounds. It would be a great effect block to have in the Axe, especially combined with the cornucopia of other great effects in the unit.

+1 if Fractal did it would be epic. Jam Origin Midi guitar 2 is good but having everything in one box would be better. I dont own any of the EHX pedals but do like synth pads. Sometimes you want to get your Floyd on.

Back
Top Bottom