Wish Polyphonic Synth

Fair enough. Maybe you just need a hex pickup, a breakout box and 6x Axe-Fx units :)

No need for six Axe-FX units. I have a hex-breakout box, and the Axe-FX III has 7 inputs (I still can use one input for the regular pickups). The only thing I need for full hex processing is more instances of blocks. e.g.: six synths

Here is the request to allow 6 instances of certain blocks for hex-processing

axe-fx-6-jpg.73089

BTW. I note that there is quite confusion between Guitar-to-MIDI conversion (that requires a MIDI triggered Synth) and Synth Guitar (that synthesizes the guitar waveform, without MIDI). It is not the same. This request is not for MIDI guitar, it is for hex-synth processing from a mono source

Roland made a big mistake marketing the 13-pin cable as "MIDI cable", because many guitarists have aversion to MIDI guitar. Here is an interesting topic: How a GK MIDI Cable destroyed the success of Roland V-Guitar Modeling products

Actually, the wish is for a polyphonic Pitch block... You might be confusing wishes?
The OP says "How about a Full Polyphonic synth block that can handle chords as well as single notes?"

That is not a pitch-to-MIDI converter, that is a hex-synth (6 notes polyphonic synth)

The OP says "How about a Full Polyphonic synth block that can handle chords as well as single notes?"

That is not a pitch-to-MIDI converter, that is a hex-synth (6 notes polyphonic synth)
In my mind, a hex-synth is something that is specific to handling each string independently.

That is not a requirement for it to be a polyphonic synth. It merely needs to process polyphonic input.

Maybe it's a matter of semantics, but I don't think what you're saying is what the OP is asking for.

In any case, it's not my wish so I leave it to the OP to clarify ;)

Reactions: JTI
In my mind, a hex-synth is something that is specific to handling each string independently.

That is not a requirement for it to be a polyphonic synth. It merely needs to process polyphonic input.

Maybe it's a matter of semantics, but I don't think what you're saying is what the OP is asking for.

In any case, it's not my wish so I leave it to the OP to clarify ;)

At my post I was not replying to the OP, but to vaultnaemsae's suggestion of using a breakout box and six Axe-FX units. I was just saying that I could do that with only one Axe-FX III (since it has 7 inputs) and my breakout box, if only the Axe-FX allowed six instances of the existing Monophonic Pitch Block. Now I can only play diatonic chords through the synths, since there are only two synth blocks.

To summarize, there are two possibilities to achieve this:

1) A polyphonic Synth Block (with monophonic input) that can discern the notes within a chord (the OP request)

2) Hexpickup, breakout box, and 6 instances of monophonic Synth Block at the Axe-FX III

Besides the need of external paraphernalia at option 2, another difference is that option 1 would play the same type of sound for all the notes, while option 2 has the possibility of programming a different sound for each separate string

I hope that some day we could get both wishes made real 😇

That would surely get the attention of the V-Guitar community

Last edited:
@Piing there's a cool workaround you can try to get something close to a Poly synth using your breakout box.

To get latency free tracking for all strings, don't use the Synth Block at all (even though it's got fantastic tracking).

Try running 4 strings each to their own Drive Block, and the remaining strings to their own Amp Block without a Cab.

Set all 4 Drives to a harsh sounding buzzy fuzz but then mess with the bit reduction to full or almost full. Feed a hot signal to each of the Drives. This should give you a ruined, gated sound.

Next, try to mimic the sound of those bit reduced fuzzes in the two Amp Blocks, maybe by messing with the bias and saturation settings, (basically anything that will make the sound fuzzy and broken) and then gate each amp.

Sum all 6 signal paths into a Chorus or Detune and you should now have a pretty convincing hexaphonic synth.

Definitely a +1 for a polyphonic synth block. Currently looking at adding either a Mod Dwarf or Empress Zoia in the loop of my Axe FX3 to achieve this.

I know I'm dreaming in colour (french expression for "extremely unlikely") but wouldn't it be nice if the synth block (or potential future poly synth block) be also triggerable from MIDI? i.e. you could hook up a MIDI controller/sequencer and play the synth block.

Back
Top Bottom