• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish Polyphonic Capability!

Ant Music

Power User
For some quite some time people have been requesting Polyphonic tuning capability. It would be a great addition to the Axe Fx but I am surprised it hasn't yet been included. On top of that there are a bunch of EHX pedals that are exploiting some incredible possibilities with polyphonic pitch detection. These pedals include the Super Ego Synth Engine, The B9 Organ Machine and the Pitch Fork to name a few. It would be great to see Fractal making some advancements in this area too.

Realistically I don't think I've ever seen anyone requesting "improved triode hardness" or "improved power amp modelling" or "grid induction" which we see with virtually every firmware update (most people are more than happy enough with their amp tones). However what people are requesting is expanded capabilities in effects and control/usability of the their amazing black box. It'd be great to see the focus for future development shift away from modelling more amps and tweaks to Amp tones just for a while at least and focus on the other aspects of the Axe Fx.

When I first got my Axe Fx I sold two amps and all my pedals (17 or so). I swore I would never buy another pedal. Tmrw I will be venturing out to buy myself a new EHX B9 Organ machine pedal to run in my FX Loop. I'd much prefer that I could get similar tones and functionality out of my Fractal though.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Raab90

Inspired
To be honest, lots of users, if not most of us, do implicitly request for updates such as "improved triode hardness" or "improved power amp modelling" or "grid induction" as the reason we bought it for. Most of us, I dare to say, are not only happy with our amps, but because of the constant improvements being done on them.
If it was for being happy or content with amp simps, improvementes would've stopped long ago, probably even at Ultra. We wouldn't therefore have such realism on the models. True, little steps are taken by each update, but that's how everything works out. It's not like Cliff jumped from the Axe Standard model's accurate but primitive power section to the incredibly realistic one we have now in one firmaware update, that actually makes me feel like I have real amp behind me.
This reminds me of Line 6, you buy the product and all firmware improvements are new FX, but the amps you "bought", are the amps you gonna have forever. And Line 6 users are indeed happy with them. They just wouldn't use them to record a real track. Put the toys aside, and get the tube amp.
The Axe is not a toy.

However I do like the idea of the polyphonic tracking on the Axe.

Keg8605

Power User
+1! Polyphonic pitch detection could be awesome in the axe! Especially if it eventually output to midi. I know I'm dreaming haha.

Ant Music

Power User
To be honest, lots of users, if not most of us, do implicitly request for updates such as "improved triode hardness" or "improved power amp modelling" or "grid induction" as the reason we bought it for. Most of us, I dare to say, are not only happy with our amps, but because of the constant improvements being done on them.
If it was for being happy or content with amp simps, improvementes would've stopped long ago, probably even at Ultra. We wouldn't therefore have such realism on the models. True, little steps are taken by each update, but that's how everything works out. It's not like Cliff jumped from the Axe Standard model's accurate but primitive power section to the incredibly realistic one we have now in one firmaware update, that actually makes me feel like I have real amp behind me.
This reminds me of Line 6, you buy the product and all firmware improvements are new FX, but the amps you "bought", are the amps you gonna have forever. And Line 6 users are indeed happy with them. They just wouldn't use them to record a real track. Put the toys aside, and get the tube amp.
The Axe is not a toy.

However I do like the idea of the polyphonic tracking on the Axe.
OK, I am not suggesting that Amp tone improvements ought to cease all together. That would be simply stupid. If you read over my post again you'll see that I am merely suggesting that the focus of development shift for a while as it feels that the buyers are requesting explicitly for improvements in other areas which have been neglected or overlooked. It would be nice to see them catch up in other areas.

And the fact is that people simply do not explicitly request "Triode Hardness" etc where as they ARE requesting other usability, control and effects developments. There are some great ideas kicking around out there and I'm sure FAS are up to the task. Polyphonic pitch detection seems to be a fantastic tool that demonstrates to me a leap forward in effects signal processing which goes way beyond just convenient tuning. EHX are already demonstrating this point.

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
Realistically I don't think I've ever seen anyone requesting "improved triode hardness" or "improved power amp modelling" or "grid induction" which we see with virtually every firmware update (most people are more than happy enough with their amp tones). However what people are requesting is expanded capabilities in effects and control/usability of the their amazing black box. It'd be great to see the focus for future development shift away from modelling more amps and tweaks to Amp tones just for a while at least and focus on the other aspects of the Axe Fx.

When I first got my Axe Fx I sold two amps and all my pedals (17 or so). I swore I would never buy another pedal. Tmrw I will be venturing out to buy myself a new EHX B9 Organ machine pedal to run in my FX Loop. I'd much prefer that I could get similar tones and functionality out of my Fractal though.
I can totally relate to this! and have been saying that since a long time. This year I see myself buying pedals again and I don't like it. Thought that was over once I got the Axe but it isn't. There are just some things I can't get out of my Axe fx II. I don't expect my Axe to do everything though. I love many things about my Axe and it still is my main machine but lately I have been losing interest a bit.

Last edited:

tolchocks

Inspired
I disagree, those martian effects and stuff are cool but are not widely used, and I feel the axe (as good as it sounds) could improve even more in amp simulation, specially in the cab simulation...Its true that many artists/engineers record the speakers, but its also true that many great tones come from more complex miking techinques. I think of the cab the same way I think of the resonating chamber of an acoustic guitar... The tone of the speaker is not bad, but its boring and static...Just like the sound of an electric guitar (with no amp). The body of the guitar gives the depth and richness, and its something waay more complex than just the EQ (IRS). An algorithm for emulating that part of the cab would be awesome. Even more awesome if you could separate it from the speaker, like having the "wood" resonating as it had a speaker, but with no sound of the speaker itself... I can imagine the rich tones we could get playing with that... With stuff like that you could even turn a piezo signal into a "miked acoustic"...Now that I said it, does anybody know a vst capable of emulating a resonator? Like... dimensions, shape, and material, and you get the sound out of it?

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
I disagree, those martian effects and stuff are cool but are not widely used,
Of course I respectfully disagree with this! Pitch Shifting is not martian effect stuff. It is used by many many players. As is most other effect stuff. There are a lot of new developments in this department and one can easily run behind....Polyphonic pitch shifting opens a lot of creative doors.

Last edited:

steadystate

Fractal Fanatic
While I won't argue against the addition of polyphonic tuning, I already have it in my Roland VG-99 and never use it. In theory, it seemed awesome. I used it for a while and abandoned it. In practice, I still have only one hand with which to manipulate the machine heads. Six indicators bouncing around only adds clutter and confusion. I can tune just as fast or faster with a standard tuner. Also, the VG-99 has a very large display. The size of the Axe screen would make each of the six indicators difficult to view in a live setting.

The only advantage is that you can quickly see which string(s) is out of tune with a single strum. But my ear can tell me which string is out. If I had a large display under my feet, I might use it in an emergency tuning situation.

Still, I support additions to the product even if I don't use them. I just wanted to relate my experience with polyphonic tuning. Perhaps my eyesight isn't the best.

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
Wait, are we talking about pitch shifting or tuners?
All for polyphonic pitch shifting (um, I think we already have that?).
Couldn't care less about the tuner.

steadystate

Fractal Fanatic
Wait, are we talking about pitch shifting or tuners?
All for polyphonic pitch shifting (um, I think we already have that?).
Couldn't care less about the tuner.
Now I'm confused too. I thought the OP was about tuning. Now that I've re-read it, I don't know to what he is referring.

Top Bottom