Polyphia

P

plexi59

Discovered these guys a few weeks ago through the DiMarzio channel on Youtube when looking for pickups. The kid (Tim Henson) kind of behaved like a pretentious prick, but then towards the end he started playing and I forgot about all of that. Dude is really good. And of the new "guitarist" guitar music, Polyphia is one of the very few bands that withstand heavy rotation without boring me to tears. So I went to their channel and started watching videos and discovered another dude I didn't know about: Jason Richardson. Dude is pretty great as well. Case in point:

I mean, this sounds like a better version of the 80s to me. The future of guitar music is in good hands.

Instrumental guitar note diarrhea? Incredible musicianship sure, no doubt about it. But I heard that stuff already in the 80's. If we want to challenge the dominance of rap, pop and EDM I doubt that this kind of guitar music will lead us back to ascendance. We need to stop looking back and start looking forward again. Guitar music has to become relevant again.

Dunno man, this music sounds pretty relevant to me. I did not expect I'd say this about music written by someone nearly 20 years younger than me. I don't think that "challenging dominance" of anything should even be the goal here. It's just that in early 00s it seemed like there's hardly anything on the horizon and once the old guard players die out that'll be it. There are dozens of pretty high profile bands with players born in the 90's that are doing their own thing. I think that's great even if they don't turn out to be Guns'n'Roses magnitude successes.

Instrumental guitar note diarrhea? Incredible musicianship sure, no doubt about it. But I heard that stuff already in the 80's. If we want to challenge the dominance of rap, pop and EDM I doubt that this kind of guitar music will lead us back to ascendance. We need to stop looking back and start looking forward again. Guitar music has to become relevant again.

The thing you're missing here is that they incorporate hip hop style beats into their new music. So they are appealing to all of the rap, pop, and EDM fans. Check out their newest album to hear what I'm talking about. It's actually pretty good.

Henson also throws in some Hendrix into this strange brew, and it sounds pretty natural

I see their image as kind of a parody of in many ways. They are really good players and I find their sound pretty fresh and innovative. Tim had a few videos on YouTube on his composition process and it's pretty interesting. Essentially he uses a DAW to write beats, like an electronic music producer would, but then translates those beats into guitar licks / riffs. I think it's pretty unique.

First time I heard of these guys was when they were one of the opening acts on a BtBAM tour that me and a buddy went and saw. I expected a flop based on their description of hip hop influence and all that, but I was really blown away. They definitely do have a pretty unique thing going amongst the instrumental guitar music of today.

Also Jason Richardson replaced Oli in All That Remains...seems like a monster player.

Back
Top Bottom