Implemented Poly Capo

Digital Man

Inspired
Hi. The Helix has a new effect called the Poly Capo. If you’ve ever used a Steinberger Transtrem it essentially does the same thing as that: here’s an example

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see (hear) anything that the Virtual Capo could not do already...

Are you referring to polyphonic as "shifting each string independently" or as "able to play chords without messing up the sound"?

What makes the TransTrem different from other whammy bars is the fact that each string changes pitch by the same amount; if one string drops a half step lower, they all drop a half stem lower. Fractal's Virtual Capo already does the same thing.

All whammy bars are different from pitch shifting, though. When you wham on a whammy bar, you only change the pitch of the strings — the guitar's resonances don't change. But pitch shifters change not only the pitch of the strings, but also the guitar's resonances.

You could replace all of your steel string guitars if this has 6 voices
I think you're confused on a couple points:

1. The TransTrem allows you to shift all strings the same amount - same as Virtual Capo
  2. The Poly Capo would require a hexaphonic pickup in order to process all 6 strings individually
  3. The preceding 2 things are very different
From https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/line-6-helix-firmware-3-what-you-need-to-know/
  • Poly Pitch — a Line 6 Original designed for complex shifting of entire chords with minimal sonic artifacts (but at the cost of high DSP usage)
  • Poly Wham — a Line 6 Original, uses the Poly Pitch engine as a Whammy (pitch-shift) pedal
  • Poly Capo — a Line 6 Original, uses a simpler version of Poly Pitch to transpose your playing

Okay. I had a Transtrem. I’ve used the poly capo on the Line 6. It’s essentially the same idea. The tracking is bad, but sounds similar. The one on the Axe is heavenly better but different, unlike the other. Which is fine. No need to change. The Line 6 is different from the one on the Kemper too.

The Fractal poly pitch shifting is the best I’ve experienced, especially due to the fine tuning of the parameters. For fans of the physical Trans Trem, there is another physical trem that bends chords in tune called the RTO (I remember the first part stands for relative tuning). I had always wanted a Trans Trem, mainly for alternate tunings on the fly, but the Babicz reconditioned ones are out of this world expensive. I spoke to the RTO guy some time ago, and he was really cool; one big difference between the RTO is that it does not lock.

The Fractal poly pitch shifting is the best I’ve experienced, especially due to the fine tuning of the parameters. For fans of the physical Trans Trem, there is another physical trem that bends chords in tune called the RTO (I remember the first part stands for relative tuning). I had always wanted a Trans Trem, mainly for alternate tunings on the fly, but the Babicz reconditioned ones are out of this world expensive. I spoke to the RTO guy some time ago, and he was really cool; one big difference between the RTO is that it does not lock.
Yes, Cliffs algos for that are the best in the business, hands down. This new effect seems to be Line 6 creation. Steve Klein just came out with a newer version of the TT. It’s $1600.00. Expensive as all get out. I’ll check out the RTO. Thanks 🙏

Okay. I had a Transtrem. I’ve used the poly capo on the Line 6. It’s essentially the same idea. The tracking is bad, but sounds similar. The one on the Axe is heavenly better but different, unlike the other. Which is fine. No need to change. The Line 6 is different from the one on the Kemper too.
Can you explain how is different?

All 3 shift pitch equally across all strings.

God I wish I would have had an AXEFX3 with virtual capo as a kid....van Halen summer nights would have been SOOOOOO much easier to play. Lol

Back
Top Bottom