Poll, Would you buy a relic, or distressed looking new guitar

Would you buy a relic, or distressed looking new guitar

• Total voters
I don't like to buy them relic because i like to do my own relics.

I have done Strats, Teles and Les Paul's but perhaps this is the one i'm most proud of, unfortunately had to let her go duo to financial issues back in 2012 and i was most surprised to see her on the Arlington guitar show, it later sold around that asking price, amazingly i bought her like new for $3,150 in 2011, spend a year ageing it, sold it for almost 5K and its value went up to almost 9K in less then a year after that.

Many people just don't understand what a relic is all about, but those that do will pay well for a good relic job, i don't do this commercially at all, just to my guitars and not all of them just the ones i feel needs that look and feel of well played old instruments.

Here she is when new, 2001 Les Paul 1958 Reissue R8:

And here she is aged:

And here she is in the Arlington Guitar Show:

Gotta say, that was a beautiful guitar.....but now looks absolutely amazing!! Great job and great example of how when done right, the aging looks fantastic and natural. Could care less about $$ it sold for, although the work you put in is certainly worth something. I just mean that at the end of the day, you have to connect with and love the guitar for how it plays and sounds. What it does for you emotionally when you look at it goes a long way too.

Great job!

Sent from my iPhone

Not really for me. Try explaining to somebody about relic guitars. I was a GC with my brother and we walked by one fender relic and he thought i was some old use expensive guitar. And then i had to explain to him that it was a brand new guitar. The baffling look on his face said it all for me. A lot of people have a lot of harsh words for relics and i have to admit there is a bit of truth in what they say.

I used to be anti-relic until I realised a lot of us don't have 30 years left in the bank to let em age naturally.

corrosion is still a big no no though.

I hear what you're saying, but if it's "a finish option" why does it have to cost so much more?? I'm also with you about bumping a new multi thousand dollar guitar and dinging it. I never understood that. If you don't want it touched/bumped/dinged, put it in a museum. Play the effing thing!! If it sounds amazing, is that ding going to intrude on your OCD?

I think "most" people who own beautifully finished guitars may agree with you until it happens.

He's from the UK. It means something different over there (IE, cigarette) than it does here. :D

Gave me a moment of pause when I first read it too. LOL

Apologies to my American friends, it was a bit of a Freudian slip on my part! Having lived in Canada for a short time I should've known better.

This is a question that many trolls post on about every forum. Same answers by some douchebag on each forum.

Guitars get old all by themselves! Does relicing make them play or sound better, fuck no? Does it make them look better….hmm… that’s a taste question, IMHO, fuck no². That’s like going to a plastic surgeon to get some wrinkles put in your face and your hair grayed, doesn’t do a dammed thing to your age, except for when you see how it depletes your budget.

To each their own… Just fooling yourself...

Ahhhh...

Looks are one thing, eye of the beholder, but relicing improves tone? That's a hard sell for me beyond PIO caps & wiring schemes.

Enlighten us?

It's the same concept as a "super fan" dressing up in his sports idols uniform before the big game. Hero worship...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have and would buy again. Especially if it plays and sounds as amazing as this MJT Strat I got last year. Stupid good deal. This guitar is amazing to play. And as a bonus: I get to watch my six year old play it without worrying about what he'll do to it when he drops it.

002.jpg

Guitars get old all by themselves! Does relicing make them play or sound better, fuck no? Does it make them look better….hmm… that’s a taste question, IMHO, fuck no². That’s like going to a plastic surgeon to get some wrinkles put in your face and your hair grayed, doesn’t do a dammed thing to your age, except for when you see how it depletes your budget.

To each their own… Just fooling yourself...

apples and oranges, a ridiculous comparison. it's a matter of taste and in some cases practicality, pure and simple.

Used and battered girlfriends are not an option, however, if you play a guitar, and it sounds sweet….sure, I'd buy it.

I get mad if I get a scratch. Go figure! Just like torn jeans, what's the point???

Judging from your avatar photo, I can understand….alpine white Les Paul Custom? (it damn well better be ME that scratched it…or you better RUN LIKE HELL!)

Back
Top Bottom