Votes: 88 58.7%
  • In ear Monitors Live

Votes: 31 20.7%
  • In ear monitors studio

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters

Metal1993

Inspired
I am curious how many have gone completely axe fx and who changes it up depending on if they are playing live and or just studio/ home.

Live I play over my 4x12, but only for the stage, direct out goes to FOH. At home I use IRs.

You could add rehearsals as another situation.

I stopped using cabs, guitar or FRFR, a couple of years ago, even before switching to IEMs.

At one point I realized I only use them out of habit and for guitar feedback. The latter works though with floor monitors or even without them.

Life has gotten much better and the sound guy is very happy. The audience noticed improvement in sound as well.

If only we could switch drums to electronic...

Use my amp 4 cable method thru 4x12 live and for recording when i can turn up. Also setting up a few patches with amp sim and IRs for recording when I can't crank up.

Just getting back into Axe-FX setup after using FX8 with an amp the past couple of years. Really like the added flexibilty2for the live setup with amp and just starting to get some patches together for recording direct. Might actually use that more when I get things dialed in, but I also like miking a cab.

IR all the way in all cases. Having done FOH mixing one of the main problems getting a good mix is loud guitar amplifiers on stage. In many cases the FOH mix basically consisted of a mix coming out of the speakers and stage sound coming from the guitar amplifiers. Since its not the 60's and 70's anymore I see no point in having loud speakers on stage as they interfere with delivering a good FOH to the audience. And that's excluding unwanted feedback issues.

As a musician loud amplifiers on stage create a swash of noise that lead to unwanted feedback an an inability for the musicians to hear themselves. Because of that volume wars happen where musicians start turning themselves up to be heard, causing arguments with their fellow musicians. And that is excluding the fact that having to haul amps and cabs around creates additional logistical problems for the band. Not to mention that amps and cabs are heavy, and since few of us can afford to hire roadies to haul them around for us, why subject ourselves to having to haul them around.

And for what really? That special sound that nobody in the audience will notice anyway? In my experience just when you thought your tone sounded the worst its ever been, that's when you will get complimented over it the most. The Universe has a perverse sense of humor in that regard.

As for recording, I'm willing to admit that there might be merit in having the best possible sound on your recording. If you were in a professional studio that is, with professional sound proofing. If recording at home, either invest in building or buying a good isolation box, or learn to make IR's work for you as well.

I use my Axe FX in the studio direct to the board. I use an AX8 for live. I sometimes use a stage monitor (Line 6 Flextone II XL) for very large venues. I generally use IEM's as I usually play in church (seats 1200). I go direct to FOH with my AX8.

I have added that option now as a few have mentioned it. I was not aware that many people used them

I've started seeing guys use high end multi-driver custom IEM's for studio work even. Basically you can have the same sound at home, in the studio, and on stage with them, and if they fit well, are pretty comfortable, beating out many pairs of reference headphones.

Changing times we live in....

And for what really? That special sound that nobody in the audience will notice anyway?

This.

I also find it somewhat ironic that so many people use cabs live where they may be detrimental to overall sound (well, apart from cases where there's no sound reinforcement), and don't use them at home where they can be fun.

Live I use my own IR's into a 4x12 25watt greenback cab, with power amp sim on while using an actual power amp.

In the studio, I use IR's alone or mic up my live sound. They are just different flavors of the same sound pretty much. I'm not sold on IR's alone in live situations without a cab. That's just me.

I use a Blackmarket custom cab with bass speakers on the bottom and guitar speakers on the top.

IRs only both live and at home. I don't do any serious recording, but if I did, I can't imagine getting better results with a cab and a mic than I can with IRs.

IR studio & stage, direct. IEM on stage.

If we're running our own FOH, I have zero audible presence on stage. My personal space is silent. I used to have a very quiet backline until I "donated" one of my monitors for use by the drummer.

Back
Top Bottom