Poll: Where do you use your Axe-Fx III mostly?

Where do you use your Axe-Fx III mostly?

• I mostly use it at home or in studio conditions.

Votes: 100 76.9%
  • I mostly use it live and on stage.

Votes: 30 23.1%

• Total voters

Liquid22

Inspired
Hi everyone,

since I put out a wish for the Axe-Fx III that would make live usage of the unit A LOT easier, but only few of you comment on it (https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/global-eq-save-and-load-for-favorite-locations.144801/), I started to wonder.

Then yesterday, shatteredsquare put out a wish about USB-Settings that's making usage at home and in studios a lot easier. And people immediately overrun that threat (https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/assignable-usb-computer-input-sources.137640/).

So I wonder about how many of us are using the Axe III mostly at home and studio conditions and how many of us are mostly using it in live conditions.

Liquid

Last edited:
I use my Axe-Fx III in my basement for jamming with my drummer. My Axe-Fx II XL+ is upstairs for recording and practicing with. I plan to swap them soon.

I think that it was more a question of the wish for live eq presets wasn’t viewed as useful as the usb routing functionality, opposed to not as many people using it live.

Nothing wrong with the idea, but just one is habe zero interest in for life use, as I prefer the let the sound engineer eq for the venue, opposed to Eq’ing the sound coming out of the unit. As such, I didn’t respond.

Quite a few folks who do use the units live might also really be excited about audio routing over usb for home and studio use, so they responded.

Interesting poll though and once the FC’s ship it would be interesting to see if the results change significantly

...Interesting poll though and once the FC’s ship it would be interesting to see if the results change significantly

I suspect the arrival of the FCs will have a big impact on the poll. Speaking for myself, I primarily use my AFX II for live performances and rehearsal, with virtually no recording. I've held off on buying the AFX III until I could get it and the FC at the same time. Without the FC, the III is not very useful to me in a live situation. (And I'm not enough of a MIDI wrangler to try setting up my MFC to run the III.)

Still gigging my AX8 at the moment. Might switch once the FC's are released but not sure. The AX8 is so convenient.

the savable Global GEQ has been on the wish list since the Ultra days. i think it would be tremendously useful for many people. perhaps savable things in the Global area isn't easy to implement.

majority of my gigs do not have a sound engineer and most if not all of these have a mixer without a Graphic EQ to adjust to the room. so trying to fine tune over a limited 3 band non-sweepable channel EQ is a challenge. it'd be amazing to save up to 10 different GEQ settings on the Axe3 and AX8 to adapt to my various regular venues.

i don't think the granting of the USB wish is any indication of live vs studio preference or intent.

Interesting poll though and once the FC’s ship it would be interesting to see if the results change significantly

The FC's will have to support either 2nd press or some ability to switch between the current scene and a specified scene. This is so that I can toggle between my lead scene with a single foot-switch. Otherwise, I have no use for it.

The FC's will have to support either 2nd press or some ability to switch between the current scene and a specified scene. This is so that I can toggle between my lead scene with a single foot-switch. Otherwise, I have no use for it.

At a risk of getting a bit off topic, why not simply have a switch for your lead ?

I'm planning on setting mine up with 5 or 6 dedicated scenes switches, and a given scene, lets say switch/scene 5, will be the lead, so for any given preset, I can step on scene 5 and get my lead sound of choice. I can't see a 2nd/hold function working that well honestly, because it means you'd likely have to press and hold the switch for several seconds, which seems problematic if you want to switch to a scene instantly on the fly.

At a risk of getting a bit off topic, why not simply have a switch for your lead ?

I'm planning on setting mine up with 5 or 6 dedicated scenes switches, and a given scene, lets say switch/scene 5, will be the lead, so for any given preset, I can step on scene 5 and get my lead sound of choice. I can't see a 2nd/hold function working that well honestly, because it means you'd likely have to press and hold the switch for several seconds, which seems problematic if you want to switch to a scene instantly on the fly.

I’d have to agree. This is how I’ve run my controllers as well.
For me, regardless of which unit I’m using, my scene 1 is my rhythm sound, scene 3 is clean, scene 5 is lead. Then if there are alternative rhythm, lead, or cleans, they live in the “even” scenes 2, 4, 6.

With this I don’t need more than 6 buttons. On my AX8 I use button one to toggle scene 1 and 2, and only one clean sound, thus only four buttons needed. Honestly, I have the AX8 setup to use the top row for IA, yet I find myself sticking with scenes much more often.

For the new controllers, I can see myself wanting the channel options available for some presets.

Of course, whatever works best for each user. YMMV

I have this set up on my RJM MM LT. I use scene 8 set as lead sound. For each of the 4 buttons I use for scenes if I press the same button it takes me to scene 8. This is called 2nd press. This is important because I have several songs where there are very short leads. Think You really got me by Van Halen or Motley Crues Smokin in the boys room. If I try to move my foot quickly to change between the 2 scenes using separate buttons, I tend to hit the wrong ones or multiple buttons which really screw me up. This feature is really nice because you can toggle between clean and lead, dirt and lead, heavy and lead.

I still use my Axe FXII XL+ and MFC-101 live for now. I've only used the Axe FXIII at home and in the studio so far. I'm waiting for the FC-12 to come out to try it live.
Even after getting an FC-12 I may decide to use the Axe FXIII just in the studio. I'm not sure yet. I'm totally happy using the Axe FXII XL+ and MFC-101 live.

Tough question....without the FC, I only use it at home. When the FC arrives soon, well.....it's on!!! Can't wait to use this beast live!!!
So impressed with it all around, especially the updates and customer service.

I tend to believe any poll like this is a bit skewed towards the home user. There are a lot of groups/persons using FAS products live that never use the forum. Good luck on getting your wish list item. It's been discussed for quite awhile now.

Back
Top Bottom