Poll: What type of tone/style do you mainly play?

Which style/tone type do you mainly play? Pick two.

• Total voters

York Audio

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Happy New Year! To kick off 2023, I wanted to see the kinds of tones you guys are mainly using to help me put together a cab order list for future releases. I’ve got an overwhelming amount of cabinet and speaker options, and this will help bring priority to the ones you’re most interested in.

Pick two options you identify with the most, or vote “Other” and let me know what you’re thinking.

Thanks for your time and input!
-Justin York

I have nine of your awesome packs that cover all the styles listed in the survey. At this point I would be more tempted to get updates of some of your oldest and most popular packs like the M25 and Blackjack incorporating newer capabilities like Full Res as well as what you've learned since they originally came out.

I really gravitate towards 1x12 cabs. In the studio I find that these give me the most clear and direct sound. In my head miking one speaker of a 4x12 means the sound of the three non miked speakers bleeds in. Might be neglectable or even not the case at all, I’m not sure.

I also would not say no to 1x12 IR’s captured in an isolation box. That’s as pure as it gets for me.

Best wishes for 2023 Justin, really appreciate this inquiry….

Home is probably mid gain/EOB, but I definitely do really or almost clean, and also higher gain, but I don't think of myself as hard rock and def not metal.

Like Drew I tend towards closed back, in my case because I like the fullness.

And as has been said, thanks for asking :)

I mix open and closed back cabs, from pretty/clean through mid/high gain rock (not metal) tones.

I'd love to see some Webers in your list of offerings. I have an outrageously good X Cab 2×10 with their AlNiCo 10V speakers. I have their P12NT in a combo. I have a Grey Wolf 12 in another combo. I have their Blue Pup 10s in a nice Hartke 4x10 cab (very similar to Marshall 1965A). Have had their Blue Dog 12s in the past also, in front-ported cabs. Great sounding speakers....

Last edited:
Mainly a high gain player, but good cleans are essential as well. I do like the sound of vintage combo amp models at edge of breakup running through 4x12 cabs for some extra low end thickness.

JBL E120 3 or 4 in a baltic birch cab would be great for Garcia tone.............you asked, :)

I do them all at one point or another. I picked #2 & #3 for my most commonly used tone/style though. One "Type" that isn't listed is "Acoustic". I use an electric with piezos to emulate acoustic guitar and use IR's of acoustics to make it a little more realistic. Works very well on the FM9 with the right IR's.

My entire life has been a journey of trying to get something that even remotely resembles the 00s sneap/richardson Mesa OS metal tones xD

These are all really helpful in narrowing things down a bit, so thank you to everyone contributing. Post comments about any specific cab/speaker pairings you’re looking for in 2023.

I try to create the most beautiful and delicate tones I can plus distorted tones that are heavy, rich, and varied from cello-like to classic Rock but never overly harsh.

High gain metal mostly here. 4x12 closed back. Lately, I'm more into 80s hard rock/metal, non-V30 tones (EV 12L, G12-65, T75, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom