Poll - What cabs do you want?

I've been using some from ML Legends for a while... And also York Audio from the Matchless pack.

I'm more of a 2x12 guy than 4x12, but I should revisit that Orange pack because I used it for a long time!
The 4x12 cab in the CabIR.eu pack are pretty focused and snappy but not overly bright or boomy.

I think I already wrote it somewhere here: The only IRs I need yet are decent ones from a G12-50GL Lynchback speaker.
Really like that speakers in a real cab and own two packs from other IR sellers. But somehow I'm not so happy with these IRs, because they sound very bright and aggressive, but that's not what a real G12-50GL is. At least not the ones I have in a 2x12 cab :)

I know what I want: Old 70s/early 80s Marshall cab with regular Celestion V30s from the 80s or early 90s. Alternatively Mesa V30s from the 90s in the same cab.

This is the sound so many of us grew up with. All the studio cats and many of the rock players in the 80s and 90s used this exact combo to create some of the best tones and records in history.

So why the 90s Mesa V30s as a second choice? Well, the original aftermarket Celestion V30 (not the Marshall Vintage, that one sucks) was changed in the early 90s, to the worse. The Mesa OEM V30 introduced was the exact same speaker as the original, and remained like that until 2001-2002, when production moved to China.

Back in 89 or 90 I bought some Celestion 65's that my friend was taking out of his Marshall 4x12 because he thought they were getting a little ragged out. IF my memory is accurate, those were my favorite speakers but sold the cab when moving. I've been using Celestion 85's since then and I don't see those represented in cab packs...is that because they're similar to 65's or ???

I know what I want: Old 70s/early 80s Marshall cab with regular Celestion V30s from the 80s or early 90s. Alternatively Mesa V30s from the 90s in the same cab.

This is the sound so many of us grew up with. All the studio cats and many of the rock players in the 80s and 90s used this exact combo to create some of the best tones and records in history.

So why the 90s Mesa V30s as a second choice? Well, the original aftermarket Celestion V30 (not the Marshall Vintage, that one sucks) was changed in the early 90s, to the worse. The Mesa OEM V30 introduced was the exact same speaker as the original, and remained like that until 2001-2002, when production moved to China.
Back in 89 or 90 I bought some Celestion 65's that my friend was taking out of his Marshall 4x12 because he thought they were getting a little ragged out. IF my memory is accurate, those were my favorite speakers but sold the cab when moving. I've been using Celestion 85's since then and I don't see those represented in cab packs...is that because they're similar to 65's or ???
It’s funny that you both mentioned those speakers, because I just got a quad of ‘87 original spec V30’s that sound insane! I’m gonna put them in a Marshall cab that belonged to Steve Stevens which should arrive on Monday.

I also just got a quad of original G12-65s from 1980 that I’ve currently got loaded in my ‘76 Marshall checkerboard cab. Those things are wildly different from the reissue G12-65 I have and sound way better.

All that to say, I think you guys are gonna be happy. :)

It’s funny that you both mentioned those speakers, because I just got a quad of ‘87 original spec V30’s that sound insane! I’m gonna put them in a Marshall cab that belonged to Steve Stevens which should arrive on Monday.

I also just got a quad of original G12-65s from 1980 that I’ve currently got loaded in my ‘76 Marshall checkerboard cab. Those things are wildly different from the reissue G12-65 I have and sound way better.

Might sound like a daft question, but are the G12-65 speakers otherwise known as Creambacks?

Great!
it could be really interesting having a 2x12 version too?
anyway, I'm in ;)

Last edited:
Might sound like a daft question, but are the G12-65 speakers otherwise known as Creambacks?
That's actually a good question. The G12-65 and G12M-65 Creamback are different speakers with different tonalities. The original G12-65 was made from 79-82 (off the top of my head) and found mainly in Marshall checkerboard and JCM 800 cabs. I have a Heritage reissue, but I don't love it. The vintage ones from 1980 sound way better. The G12M-65 is a more modern speaker introduced in 2012 meant to sound like a Greenback with more power handling. I have two of them and they're great speakers as well. I like it a lot more than the H75 Creamback, but that's just my opinion.

Great!
it could be really interesting having a 2x12 version too?
anyway, I'm in ;)
It's very possible. But open back or closed back?

Oh my freakin God, that's amazeballs! Are the V30s the ones that just say Celestion on the back, and not "Marshall Vintage by Celestion"? I think I have to pinch myself...

Oh my freakin God, that's amazeballs! Are the V30s the ones that just say Celestion on the back, and not "Marshall Vintage by Celestion"? I think I have to pinch myself...
Mine are 8 ohm Marshall Vintage from ‘87 (which is what I was looking for), and they sound ABSURD in my Orange cab. I can’t wait to hear what they sound like in Steve’s Marshall cab.

Mine are 8 ohm Marshall Vintage from ‘87 (which is what I was looking for), and they sound ABSURD in my Orange cab. I can’t wait to hear what they sound like in Steve’s Marshall cab.
Ah, damn. I'm not a fan of those personally. I like the non-Marshall ones. The Marshall Vintage is not actually a V30, but a V30-like speaker. It sounds like a cross between a V30 and T75 to my ears, but the old ones are much smoother. In recent years, Celestion has actually begun stating that it's not a true V30 , and Marshall too, pointing out that it's a different speaker.

But, I will get your cab pack, since I love all your other packs and I have faith in that the ones you have might actually change my mind regarding these :)

Ah, damn. I'm not a fan of those personally. I like the non-Marshall ones. The Marshall Vintage is not actually a V30, but a V30-like speaker. It sounds like a cross between a V30 and T75 to my ears, but the old ones are much smoother. In recent years, Celestion has actually begun stating that it's not a true V30 , and Marshall too, pointing out that it's a different speaker.

But, I will get your cab pack, since I love all your other packs and I have faith in that the ones you have might actually change my mind regarding these :)
My Bogner has ‘94 V30s in it, but I wanted something older and a little different. From the research I did, it seems that Celestion made the speaker in ‘86 and Marshall liked it so much that they inked a deal for exclusivity. I gotta say, I like them a lot more than I thought I would. They’re smoother and bigger sounding than most V30s IMO. I’ll see how they sound with a mic on ‘em, but it’s glorious in the room!

It would be nice to get some more bass cabs. Almost every offering out there is yet another Ampeg cab, which are a classic sound, but there are so many other bass tones out there than the Ampeg sound. Personally, I'd love to have both an Aguilar cab to cover the warm end of the spectrum and a Mark Bass cab (I've never seen a Mark Bass IR anywhere) for the modern, punchy, hi-fi bass tone.

I'd really like some IR's of the Electrovoice EVM12L preferably in either a 2x12 or 4X12. A load of players seemed to be installing these in their cabs in the 80's

Ampeg 810 Heritage!! Purdy plz. :)
Awe man, you’re telling me my Ampeg Heritage 410 isn’t enough? Ha,if I knew someone who had one I’d give it a shot.

It would be nice to get some more bass cabs. Almost every offering out there is yet another Ampeg cab, which are a classic sound, but there are so many other bass tones out there than the Ampeg sound. Personally, I'd love to have both an Aguilar cab to cover the warm end of the spectrum and a Mark Bass cab (I've never seen a Mark Bass IR anywhere) for the modern, punchy, hi-fi bass tone.
I have a vintage B15 Cab Pack ready to go, but I know it’s not the hi-fi Mark Bass tone you’re going for. It’s tricky. Bass players don’t tend to buy Cab Packs the way guitar players do. If I saw more bass activity in my store, I’d probably shoot more bass cabs. I’m open to it, but since it’s just me making these things (and they take a lot of time to make), I tend to go where the biggest demand is.

If I get some spare time, I might look into locating a more modern hi-fi bass cab. But in the meantime, the Ampeg Heritage 410 is pretty slammin.

I'd really like some IR's of the Electrovoice EVM12L preferably in either a 2x12 or 4X12. A load of players seemed to be installing these in their cabs in the 80's
I have one 12L at the moment, but may be able to snag a vintage pair locally. That speaker is definitely on my radar.

My Bogner has ‘94 V30s in it, but I wanted something older and a little different. From the research I did, it seems that Celestion made the speaker in ‘86 and Marshall liked it so much that they inked a deal for exclusivity. I gotta say, I like them a lot more than I thought I would. They’re smoother and bigger sounding than most V30s IMO. I’ll see how they sound with a mic on ‘em, but it’s glorious in the room!
Doing my own research (spending more time than I care to mention), and also dragging information out of Celestion, who for some reason are kinda secretive with some info, I found this:

In 86, the Marshall Vintage was released as an exclusive OEM product. However, they also released their own Celestion branded Vintage 30 for aftermarket use. These where not the same speaker as the Marshall one. In the early 90s, they changed the manufacturing process for all Vintage 30s and their nearby relatives. Why? Probably to make them cheaper or easier to manufacture, no one knows. Mesa didn't like the tone of the new Celestion V30, so they requested and got the original spec V30 as an exclusive deal. This Mesa OEM version remained unchanged until the early 2000s, when product moved to China, and the rest is history.

And to anyone who doesn't know: Yes, the relocation to China did change the sound of all V30s and their cousins. The tooling equipment is the same, but the materials are not. That's why they sound different. The frame is made from a different metal composition, the magnet is also not the same etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom