Poll - What cabs do you want?

Lots of cool suggestions on here. And it’s fun seeing the poll numbers change so much, so thanks for voting. This thread is definitely not helping my Reverb addiction. :) And if some of you own these particular cabs and want me to capture them, shoot me a PM.

We’ve got such a diverse crowd here. It’s crazy that we all use the same piece of gear and stay excited about it.

None of the above.

A WEM Super Starfinder 200 cab with 4×12” Fane Crescendo speakers
View attachment 61732

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=2117
I’ll make you a deal. If you can find one and you buy it, I would happily capture it for you. :)

Since I've discovered that my tastes and ears really love the G12H30 and I've had good results with IRs of that speaker in both Marshall and Orange cabs (as well as the "special" one in your Matchless pack), it would be great to have something with the G12H30 from you.

Since I've discovered that my tastes and ears really love the G12H30 and I've had good results with IRs of that speaker in both Marshall and Orange cabs (as well as the "special" one in your Matchless pack), it would be great to have something with the G12H30 from you.

The Zila pack has a G12-H75 in it.

The Zila pack has a G12-H75 in it.
I bought both the Matchless and the Zilla packs. I really like a lot of stuff in the Matchless pack (more so than most cab packs) but I didn't really connect with the Zilla pack.

I'll have another go at it... But the IRs seem very different to others I've used. I do seem to prefer the 55Hz variety.

I bought both the Matchless and the Zilla packs. I really like a lot of stuff in the Matchless pack (more so than most cab packs) but I didn't really connect with the Zilla pack.

I'll have another go at it... But the IRs seem very different to others I've used. I do seem to prefer the 55Hz variety.
I may have some something in mind that will make you happy. ;)

As far as the Creamback H75 vs H30 goes, they’re wildly different beasts, so it makes sense that H75 would t hit that sweet spot for you if you dig the 30w vibe.

Would love to see someone to 2x12 cab w/ElectroVoice EVM12L...I used this in Bassman 2x12 Cab and a Ampeg v4 guitar amp back in '72. This was a great rig!
I had a Twin with those. Heavy! But sounded great. Rolled it past the TV on the way out to a gig, and all the colors but green shifted to the bottom of the screen, where they stayed for quite a while after. I LOL'ed. The wife was not as amused....

Any cab with EV SRO 12" speakers would be fun, but particularly, an old Kustom 4x12 would be awesome. They had rear-firing ports that let the low end really project....

Lots of cool suggestions on here. And it’s fun seeing the poll numbers change so much, so thanks for voting. This thread is definitely not helping my Reverb addiction. :) And if some of you own these particular cabs and want me to capture them, shoot me a PM.

We’ve got such a diverse crowd here. It’s crazy that we all use the same piece of gear and stay excited about it.

I’ll make you a deal. If you can find one and you buy it, I would happily capture it for you. :)

If you could get your hands on one of these WEM Starfinder with Fane Crescendo and capture it, you would become the king of the IRs :)

I suppose that most of them shall be in the UK.

The last one seen on Reverb was sold two years ago, from the UK, for $5,105 :eek:
And that price was with with Fane 1970 speakers. If you wanted Gilmour's Crescendo 100A with aluminum dust caps, you had to contact the seller to ask for the price...
https://reverb.com/item/6109669-wem-starfinder-200-4-x-12-early-1970s

There is a page named Wem Owners Club where they mention that the new WEM cabs that are sold in the USA are not genuine ("not connected in any way with Watkins Electric Music")
http://wem-owners.com/wem-cabs-in-the-usa/

They have some interesting restoration projects. Some of them, unfortunately, beyond repair
Early-cab-as-bought-1024x768.jpg

One way to verify from outside that the have the Fane Crescendo 100w speakers is the reflection of the aluminum dust caps, visible through the grille cloth
Phil%20Ms%20WEM%20cab_sm.jpg

Interesting info here:
http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gilmour_Amplifiers_and_Speakers_2.html

WEM Starfinder 4x12 without speakers $2,200
https://reverb.com/item/30356117-wem-starfinder-4-x-12-empty-refurbished-1969

Last edited:
ok - first day back at work, so lots of caveats!

Fender - the Deluxe you did was great, I love that - how about adding other Fenders? Princeton is my go-to clean for example, 4x10 Bassman maybe

Marshall - so many people have targeted the late 60's era, agree more love for the 80s - I can't remember what my cab had then, but I suspect G-65 or similar as already asked for. I think people only concentrate on GnR for that era, but there was lots more than that going on and I don't think it's been captured yet

Cliché alert - SRV style cabs, whatever he used :)

Orange - I've recently done a few 'turn up and play' sessions with an Orange Hand-wired Tiny Terror - sounds great, be really good to have some of the smaller Orange cabs done, 4x12 is a whole different thing!

Sorry if some of these have already been done

On the bass front, what about an 18" Cerwin-Vega folded horn cab (W Bin)? John Wetton used it along with EV-loaded 4x12 cabs with his Hiwatts.

wetton.jpg

I posted a thread a while ago containing every single Marshall IR I could find. Here are a few that are not that common:

Any Marshall speaker made before 1968
60’s G12-M20
70’s G12-M25 (creamback)
70's graybacks
Late 70’s G12-65 (before JCM 800 era)
Mid 80’s G10-L35 (with faded tolex, I got one)
Late 80's G12H100
Late 80’s G12-T75 (great speakers, different from the 90's T75's)

And some other suggestions:

Fender:
Late 60’s Bassman speakers
Late 60’s Dual Showman speakers
Late 60’s Deluxe Reverb

Other:
Vintage WEM or Hiwatt cabinets

Last edited:
Marshall - so many people have targeted the late 60's era, agree more love for the 80s - I can't remember what my cab had then, but I suspect G-65 or similar as already asked for. I think people only concentrate on GnR for that era, but there was lots more than that going on and I don't think it's been captured yet
80’s is actually quite well captured, but not focused by many IR vendors. The only cabs I know that are not captured from that era are early 1965A/B’s with G10-L35 (brown tolex) and late G12-T75’s. Then there’s some not that popular H100’s and other H speakers that people don’t seem to care that much.

Here’s my list: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/list-of-every-marshall-cabinet-speaker-ir.155357/

EDIT: I just found out that there are no factory-brown cabinets made in the 80’s. The cloth has faded because of bad quality grill cloths. It’s fixed on the latter cabinets. Therefore I suppose all the 1965 cabinets sound the same.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom