POLL Ultra Res Vs Normal Res

Which Clip is Ultra Res?

• Clip 1

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Clip 2

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted for and preferred clip 1, but each sounded pretty damn good. Just proves you can't go wrong with the Axe!

The reason it appears louder is that the peaks in the frequency response are not smoothed off so the peak-to-average ratio is greater giving the impression that it is louder.

You can see that in the SoundCloud representation of the audio.

The muted thunk that happens several times through the clips has more boing to it in UltraRes. Cliff has talked about this before.

I'm working on an old combo amp for a friend (bad reverb pan), so I have a "real" amp in my possession at this time. I'm used to the sound of FRFR speakers at ear level now, so I sat on the sofa in front of the amp to get a more direct sound from it while I adjusted the EQ. I noticed the lack of "in the room" sound just doing that. Standing up in front of it brought all that back. The UltraRes clips kinda remind me of this difference. I'm looking forward to more experimenting with UR.

If you go back to my post on the first page my answer is there. I hid it in white font. Drag your mouse through my post to highlight the hidden text.

Cool trick. :lol

I played a set on the weekend and the UltraRes tones definitely stand out better in the mix for me. In fact the added clarity can be a bit intimidating at first, you have to be on your game. I found this both with clean tones and and a driven 50W Marshall patch I use. The single notes in an arpeggio played on the Marshall were for example, "cleaner" (i.e. greater clarity). I also found that my volume swells cleaned up really nicely, which may be more of an overall FW13 thing.

Terry.

Interestingly (debatable, I know), when I look at the "What's New" activity stream here or at the "Unread" posts using TapaTalk, these white font posts are clearly shown.

So, if really want to be sly, make sure your invisible posts are at least on the 3rd line of your posts.

That is all. Really.

If you go back to my post on the first page my answer is there. I hid it in white font. Drag your mouse through my post to highlight the hidden text.

It was pretty obvious to me. The clarity in the bass and low mids is the giveaway.

I thought it was a strange post as I read it on Tapatalk and wondered why nobody else picked up on it.

It's interesting that the poll is neck and neck. Considering that Clark's poll was a majority vote against UR. This must mean that ears are becoming more attuned to what UR is and the subtleties that can be heard when using it instead of a traditional impulse response.

It's not really clear if that's what that means, actually.

On cheap ear buds both clips are almost identical, the same with Clark's poll too. Now that the UR clip is pointed out I went back and listened carefully. The difference is very subtle but I can hear a little more "3D" in the first clip. The savings in the CPU alone would be worth it.

Just curious, would the difference be more pronounced when played loud? My ears so far are happy with either one, and they keep picking the HighRes :)

IT SEEMS LIKE THE FIRST PART BECAUSE IT BREAVE'S SOUND INTO THE AIR
Yep, I know what you are trying to say & picked the first one for the same reason - seems to breathe & be more 3D, a greater feeling of space while the 2nd one seems "flatter" in a way.

The first sounds and measures louder. Obviously sounds better if you listen on low volume. If you listen on high volume you might think differently.

There's a difference and that's one main thing. Still I think that the differences are smaller than small volume differences to most people. I'll try and do a mix test with UR vs. normal later today.

The biggest audible difference to me is the "thunk" in the first clip whenever he starts or (especially) cuts off a note. It's nowhere near as pronounced in the second clip.

Back
Top Bottom