POLL Ultra Res Vs Normal Res

Which Clip is Ultra Res?

• Clip 1

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Clip 2

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So, is it accurate to say Ur is less compressed? If so, is this where the sonic difference is? Or maybe a part of it?

Accurate to say that? No. Guitar players use the term "compressed" incorrectly. Compression refers to reduction of dynamic range. Guitar players will often say something sounds "compressed" if it is lacking highs and/or lows.

UltraRes is simply more accurate. It uses a proprietary technique to achieve 170 ms of IR resolution with no added latency or CPU usage. Whether or not this accuracy is audible or desirable is up to you. Personally I find it audible and desirable.

I would say clip 1 is ultra res. But they both sound good even though they differ:)

On a different note...what ultra res cab(s) are any of you guys using for heavier tones using amp models such as DAS Metall,5153,etc with a Drive block in front? I guess I haven't done a proper test of the 10 available. I really need to pick up more.

It's trickier to tell when theres reverb on it. But I'm gonna go with 2 because it sounds chunkier. Still haven't tried an UR IR myself yet tho haha..

ULTRARES

One of these clips is the OH 412 MAR-CB V30-EN LIVE_MODERN Ultra Res and the other is the OH 412 MAR-CB V30-EN SS LIVE-MODERN Normal Res. The guitar is my trusty PRS Custom 24 with HFS/VB pickups and the amp is a Bogner Uberschall. The preset is identical, only the Cab impulse is different.

This is a continuation of Clark Kent's comparison clip. Please forgive my sloppy playing.

IT SEEMS LIKE THE FIRST PART BECAUSE IT BREAVE'S SOUND INTO THE AIR

If you havetried to compare for yourself you would know.
If clip nr 1 is not Ultra I can might as well stop meassing around with my guitar!

It's interesting that the poll is neck and neck. Considering that Clark's poll was a majority vote against UR. This must mean that ears are becoming more attuned to what UR is and the subtleties that can be heard when using it instead of a traditional impulse response.

I Made a AB testing with a Blue Bogner preset by Kriig tweaked ti my taste.

Changed with 2 cabs in Parallel ... 1x12 and 2x12 Bogner Oh of course FN-42 both...

Switched between this UltraRes versus the same in Hires Format purchased at OH previously...

Closed my eyes, my wife switching between A/B without saying nothing

I felt a great sound of course on both but in one it.seem to have aguitarcombo in my home-studio ...brilliant

This sound was UltraRes

I was a little skeptic about purchasing the 3rd pack because of my extensive use of the 3 lubraries from OH ...SS T1 and T2

But I want to trust in Cliff as I did the day I taked the decision and bought the Axe Fx2 jumping in the rabbit hole of guitar modeling.

I'm still an analog guy too ..of course but what a wonderful journey!!

Thanks from a very satisfied customer to all this incredible Company and Community !!

Sorry if I passed over the OP

For me is take 1... Sound more
"real" ... Have a some kind of .less mono dimensional but maybe I'm wrong

And turned in an emotional junkie

It's interesting that the poll is neck and neck. Considering that Clark's poll was a majority vote against UR. This must mean that ears are becoming more attuned to what UR is and the subtleties that can be heard when using it instead of a traditional impulse response.

There's also a difference here. My clip was doubled so it's closer to a mix situation. I have a NGD going on so I might aswell make a mix test with both. Maybe some clean crunch and mhethul. :) I'll use one of those OwnHammer IR's.

Oh jeeze CK I have know Idea which is which - I choose # 2 just to be contrary , and root for the underdog being all ENTP and what not , but I see #2 is catching up.

I would have thought that after all the new mixes that are appearing on the forum and Cliff's comments, people would know for certain which is which.

Ultra Res was Clip 1. You could hear a more prominent bottom end and low mids in the tone. They sound much clearer when turned up and don't become mush if you crank the low end.

I for one are really impressed with Ultra Res and the new OH/Fractal Pack 3. As the technology matures and people record 170ms IR's for converting to UR, I foresee a plethora of great tones falling at everyone's feet with minimal tweaking. It really is an exciting time for me, as I've always struggled getting tones that sound great live and knowing how to tweak them to fir into a mix well. The hard work is already done. I can't wait to see what CK comes up with next.

They both sound great! The fact that we are trying to decide which of these two tracks is the "old technology" is cool. It is amazing to me how far this product has come in the last 18 months.

I would have thought that after all the new mixes that are appearing on the forum and Cliff's comments, people would know for certain which is which.
a real "giveaway" to me are really the mids in UltraRes. UltraRes so far has always sounded far more open and wide.

Ultra Res was Clip 1. You could hear a more prominent bottom end and low mids in the tone. They sound much clearer when turned up and don't become mush if you crank the low end.

I for one are really impressed with Ultra Res and the new OH/Fractal Pack 3. As the technology matures and people record 170ms IR's for converting to UR, I foresee a plethora of great tones falling at everyone's feet with minimal tweaking. It really is an exciting time for me, as I've always struggled getting tones that sound great live and knowing how to tweak them to fir into a mix well. The hard work is already done. I can't wait to see what CK comes up with next.

Just achieved to sell me the Pack 3 !!

With out reading the results i say clip #1, and i decided not to listen to it with my studio monitors or headphones but rather with my computer speakers since most of the music i hear when working is that way.++Clip #1 sounded fatter and a bit more dynamic, that about what i can hear with this setup.

It would be interesting to match the fatter sound of one cab to the other with the EQ block to even up things and them do another hearing to detect any further details that UR gives, because fatter and rounder are easily achievable tones.

Back
Top Bottom