• Clip 1

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Clip 2

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fabio KTG

Fractal Fanatic
One of these clips is the OH 412 MAR-CB V30-EN LIVE_MODERN Ultra Res and the other is the OH 412 MAR-CB V30-EN SS LIVE-MODERN Normal Res. The guitar is my trusty PRS Custom 24 with HFS/VB pickups and the amp is a Bogner Uberschall. The preset is identical, only the Cab impulse is different.

This is a continuation of Clark Kent's comparison clip. Please forgive my sloppy playing.

One of these clips is the OH 412 MAR-CB V30-EN LIVE_MODERN Ultra Res and the other is the OH 412 MAR-CB V30-EN SS LIVE-MODERN Normal Res. The guitar is my trusty PRS Custom 24 with HFS/VB pickups and the amp is a Bogner Uberschall. The preset is identical, only the Cab impulse is different.

This is a continuation of Clark Kent's comparison clip. Please forgive my sloppy playing.

I'm inclined to think that part 1 is ultrares, it appears to be a slight bit louder and its noted that ultrares can usually be louder.

2 is more smooth. 1 felt a little compressed. So we are all making the assumption that UltraRes is better?

Are these separate takes or did you use the looper? The sound like different takes, which distracts from the point of the test.

Haha... well I know that UltraRes is louder so based on that the first clip would be UltraRes but the second clip sounded better and tighter to me. Based on the tightness I voted for the second clip but don't take my word for it people. :)

UltraRes could be either one but the second clip sounded better and more focused for me.

Are these separate takes or did you use the looper? The sound like different takes, which distracts from the point of the test.

It was 2 separate takes. You're right, but I figured that you'd be able to tell which is which anyway by playing the same lick, even if every nuance wasn't identical.

Haha... well I know that UltraRes is louder so based on that the first clip would be UltraRes but the second clip sounded better and tighter to me. Based on the tightness I voted for the second clip but don't take my word for it people. :)

UltraRes could be either one but the second clip sounded better and more focused for me.

The 2nd clip sounds tighter, because I had practised the lick in the first take and ironed out the sloppiness for the second. Probably.

BTW, UltraRes is not louder. It may sound louder, it may even measure louder on an RMS meter but technically it's no louder. The reason it appears louder is that the peaks in the frequency response are not smoothed off so the peak-to-average ratio is greater giving the impression that it is louder.

clip 1 should be ultrares, you can hear it very clearly around 0:12 the muted low note, it sounds so much better (clearer, more responsive) than the same spot in the second clip

for a better understanding and comparison. if i load up an HI/ULTRARES IR and then switch to NORMAL RES it will be "scaled down" right!?
this way you could record a DI, and then reamp it with the different casb block settings, should be more accurate than two different takes...

Clip 1 is ultra. (and sounds far better to me.)

Surprised anyone says "2"... in fact it looks like the majority.

My experience with ultra-res has trained my ears to hear the subtle "mess" that can be clearly heard in clip two. A sort of smearing sound especially in the low mids.

BTW, UltraRes is not louder. It may sound louder, it may even measure louder on an RMS meter but technically it's no louder. The reason it appears louder is that the peaks in the frequency response are not smoothed off so the peak-to-average ratio is greater giving the impression that it is louder.

So, is it accurate to say Ur is less compressed? If so, is this where the sonic difference is? Or maybe a part of it?

Back
Top Bottom