Poll: MK1 owners, 1024 User 2 cab slots or 32 FullRes cab slots?

MK1 owners, 1024 User 2 cab slots or 32 FullRes cab slots?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I hope MK1 gets the FullRes. I think I've invested 3000+ euros in a very big piece of gear that should cover a decent part of life. Going obsolete after just a couple of years isn't that good of a deal right now.
Really? Obsolete, seriously? There's absolutely no reason to believe that the Mk1 is going to be relegated to a legacy device. The Mk1 and Mk2 share exactly the same modeling platform and has been said many times that they will both run the same firmware.

The only differences between the two models, that has been publicized, is the display and more memory (preset storage and expansion), which part of the additional memory is for FullRes IR storage. Don't know how people are drawing this type of conclusion other than sour grapes.

Not really.
Something this major in the "Axe Fx3" range makes me think more like there's already an Axe Fx 4.
Not really. The MKII has only been out for a little while & FullRes IRs are the first thing that have been implemented in it's expanded memory. You can sit & wait for the Axe Fx 4 but you will have a really long wait!

Yep. No user storage of FullRes IRs on the MK1, but you can use the Scratchpad slots to load them temporarily so we're not completely out of luck. The Cab and IR Player blocks will run them fine from there on the MK1, however they will be cleared out when you power down the unit.

It's yet to be determined if there will be any factory FullRes IRs added so there's a chance we could still get those as well since factory cabs are part of the firmware and are stored in a different location.

Not really. The MKII has only been out for a little while & FullRes IRs are the first thing that have been implemented in it's expanded memory. You can sit & wait for the Axe Fx 4 but you will have a really long wait!
I predict we will see an announcement for Axe Fx 4 in 18 months or less.

A few minutes ago I stumbled upon a vst plugin which can load reverb IRs in FLAC format (Melda MConvolutionEZ).
So I immediately wondered if implementing a lossless compression algorithm like FLAC for the IR slots (I assume normal/ultra/full-res is still a wav/PCM file under the hood) could be a solution to free-up some NV memory on the axe fx mk I without losing user banks.
@FractalAudio

Hoping it happens but seems like fractal could have a opportunity for a IR loader that takes advantage of this. Rather than 1000 IR files have it in a way you pick cab/speaker/mic and position but now with the room mic’s. Massive undertaking but would be brilliant

I guess maybe I was dropped on my head too many times as a youngling, but in a mix, I don't hear enough of a difference over just using a reverb block to be worth the CPU hit. If I "need" this sound it would only be for recording and that is possible with the MkI. I don't think I would ever need it in a band context. I'm completely content with my wonderful magic black box the way it is and again I love Cliif's beautiful brain.

I actually don't think that the Mk2 even warrants a distinction . When playstation do a revision within a console generation they usually don't even mention it. The Nintendo switch got a new faster processor and more memory and they didn't even put a sticker on the box because it was still a switch (same gen ) The Axe 3 and the Axe 3mk2 turbo xl plus version with go faster stripes and a free pen are still Gen 3 and unless you need more than 500 patches at a gig the same. Guys with them in the studio may find slightly improved workflow with the new one.

I don't understand this argument. So far, I haven't found anything a Fullres IR can do that I can't tweak out of the available reverbs. I think they will be a recording gimmick with no practical use live.

I don't understand this argument. So far, I haven't found anything a Fullres IR can do that I can't tweak out of the available reverbs. I think they will be a recording gimmick with no practical use live.
Correct about the live use. Same goes for more presets. Absolutely not needed live.

Back
Top Bottom