Poll: MK1 owners, 1024 User 2 cab slots or 32 FullRes cab slots?

MK1 owners, 1024 User 2 cab slots or 32 FullRes cab slots?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I bet the option 2 voters, "keep as it is", are the users that already have the MK2...
Nah. Mk1 here. It's great to have options and awesome that fractal are giving us more and more. My personal choice for recording has always been throwing a single close mic in front of a cab and adding reverb after. That gives me more control with the end product. Even people who use room mics will mix the room in as needed for the track. Too much can mush a track, too little and it's not really noticeable anyway. So I have no need to have room sound baked into my IRs. Obviously plenty of people want that, judging by the poll. Another negative for me is, if I'm going to have a room baked into an IR, that's going to force me to record every guitar track in stereo so that the room sound is not mono. On single mic, close miced IRs, that's no issue. I fully get that there are short IRs with multiple mics and in stereo already. Just talking about the reason for my vote. I have quite a few preset packs with many of their own IRs, along with stuff like Ownhammer and Redwirez, who can still have tons of IRs that are similar, but not the same. It's great to just scroll the wheel up and down auditioning IRs in real time to find the best out of what could be dozens or more choices for each cab. I also get that once that's narrowed down, I only use maybe 30 total, some of those tonematch IRs that I have in those slots. But everytime a major amp modelling firmware comes up, scrolling through them is a huge time saver to see what works with what with the new sounds. I'm not going to cry about it and get up-in-arms either way. I'd hate to be stuck with reducing a couple of IR banks down to 20 short IRs, or whatever, or even 20 of the new ones that may have too much room, or room I don't like even though the close mic is great, when I could just throw a room IR that fits the track (or algorithmic verb) as a plugin in my DAW during mixdown. Making banks user switchable might be the way to go if it's feasible at all. It would definitely keep both sides happy.

EDIT: Ok now I see what FAS is trying to do. Very cool option to add space to the IR blocks so that it can be used as Convolution Reverb slots instead of just speaker IRs. I thought the idea was intended to use as single IRs with the reverb baked in, but you're intending to put the room sound in separate IRs from the speakers so you can mix as needed. Very cool!

Last edited:
MK1 owner. I find the FullRes IR example sounding great from pure inspiration point. I just wonder why would anybody decide to record a guitar in a mix with ambiance + closed mic and not record a DI and then audition cabs & ambiance afterwards. I find FullRes IRs useful for pure mental stimulation in real-time, while recording DI on a separate output. I believe it would be very useful for real-time headphone practicing and why not for recording, if it suits the mix. Imagine having IRs from some of the best recording rooms in the world... down the road.

Anyhow, I hope FullRes IRs a included in future updates for MK1 owners.

On a separate note: I just installed iOS 15 on an old iPhone XS from 2018 and all new software gimmicks are included :p

One of the things I’ve done is take an acoustic and feed the axe the piezo signal. Then tone match referencing a recording to get rid of the piezo sound. Feeding the tone match to one of these ir’s seems like a good simulation then of a mic in a room on an acoustic. I dunno…

He's probably already seen them. He's on the forum all the time. Nothing to do now but wait and see what he decides.

I'd kind of expect priority would be to get FW 17 fully released and Fractal Bot and Axe Edit updated too, but we'll see.

Cliff said axing user bank 2 isn't going to happen & mkI users will be able to use the scratchpad to temporarily load full res IRS.

It's like your parent telling you, no desert because your full, but instead of listening you create poll to see what other kids think, assuming this will somehow make room for said desert.

It's been stated several times from Cliff himself, the MK1 will not be getting a fullres bank.

However, Cliff posted today that MK1 users can load 2 fullres IR's in the scratchpad and use them that way, but you can't save them.

It's like your parent telling you, no desert because your full, but instead of listening you create poll to see what other kids think
I don't think the door was closed until todays' comment - prior to this there was a "possibly" stated - so the poll was/is valid, relevant, and, given the number of responses, I'm guessing got some careful consideration.

Last edited:
Well folks, looks like we struck out on getting FullRes cab slots on the MK1, but thankfully we CAN use the scratchpad slots for FullRes. This will be plenty for my needs when jamming at home or recording. Adding cabs to the scratchpad slots is a snap using the audition feature in Axe Manage Cabs in Axe Edit.

Well folks, looks like we struck out on getting FullRes cab slots on the MK1, but thankfully we CAN use the scratchpad slots for FullRes. This will be plenty for my needs when jamming at home or recording. Adding cabs to the scratchpad slots is a snap using the audition feature in Axe Manage Cabs in Axe Edit.
Does that method work with the FullRes cabs?

Option 3 - none of the above. The IR difference is irrelevant for live performances.
I tend to agree.
Can a cab block (be made to) simply audition and load IRs from external sources? Why do I need ANY IRs stored on the unit full time if my use is only studio? I’d actually have a much better workflow working out of file folders than the current way IRs are stored. Couldn’t this solve this issue entirely, at least for guys like me?

Just keep enough memory/storage for what I’m currently loading up.

Of course for gigging folks this probably won’t work.
With a new version of Cab Lab on the horizon (which Cliff has stated will support FullRes), recording a track with a Cab Lab plugin would negate the need for a MkII completely because the IRs would be stored and loaded from the computer...no?
If you monitor via the track in DAW, with the added latency, it was no fun.
I've not experienced an unacceptable level of latency when monitoring anything in my DAW.

In any case I'm grateful to have access to two FullRes IRs at a time in scratchpad which for recording purposes, is all I need.

Last edited:
I hope MK1 gets the FullRes. I think I've invested 3000+ euros in a very big piece of gear that should cover a decent part of life. Going obsolete after just a couple of years isn't that good of a deal right now.

Back
Top Bottom