Poll: MK1 owners, 1024 User 2 cab slots or 32 FullRes cab slots?

MK1 owners, 1024 User 2 cab slots or 32 FullRes cab slots?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you there. FX3 has IR Capture, and about twice as much horsepower. It's the Flagship, and there will always be a market for it, especially in studios where real-time foot control isn't super necessary, or with larger acts where nothing but the best will do.

I think for many users, the FM9 is going to be the FM3 killer. Lots of AX8 users didn't want to go with the FM3 because it was too small and underpowered, and the FM9 fills in the gap between the FM3 and the FX3 perfectly.
Some parts i agree but from first hand experience i can tell you actually especially in a studio, recording situation Axe FX 3 is overkill for %99.99999 cases cause %99.99999 all those effects, reverbs, delays etc...will be done in DAW and most you need is pre amp fx, amp block and cab block. That's why i allways suggested and made also buy 4-5 friends (who are producers and mostly stay in their studio) the Ax8...they are/were happy and never missed anything from Axe FX 2.

I don't believe any product will replace or compete with the other. Fractal has grown to the point where they now offer multiple solutions depending upon need and budget. It used to be the only way to get FAS' modelling was to buy the rack mount unit. Now you can get a minimalistic floor unit (FM3) for half the price of the flagship, a floor unit with more power and footswitches (FM9) for roughly the same price as the competition, or the flagship for whatever reason you want.

There's no such thing as "overkill" if you get the Axe III and only use an amp, cab and a couple of effects. If the product does what the user needs, it's worth every penny. Others may go much deeper with routing and elaborate effects/sounds but doesn't mean they're using the Axe III more to it's potential. Never have understood this reasoning.

To say that FAS will lose money because a person chooses the FM9 over the Axe III is simply not true. I would say the FM9, and FM3, have generated more revenue for them by providing products that more people can afford or justify spending. They've set price points where they are comfortable with the profit they make from the sale of any of their products. Business 101.

I don't believe any product will replace or compete with the other. Fractal has grown to the point where they now offer multiple solutions depending upon need and budget. It used to be the only way to get FAS' modelling was to buy the rack mount unit. Now you can get a minimalistic floor unit (FM3) for half the price of the flagship, a floor unit with more power and footswitches (FM9) for roughly the same price as the competition, or the flagship for whatever reason you want.

There's no such thing as "overkill" if you get the Axe III and only use an amp, cab and a couple of effects. If the product does what the user needs, it's worth every penny. Others may go much deeper with routing and elaborate effects/sounds but doesn't mean they're using the Axe III more to it's potential. Never have understood this reasoning.

To say that FAS will lose money because a person chooses the FM9 over the Axe III is simply not true. I would say the FM9, and FM3, have generated more revenue for them by providing products that more people can afford or justify spending. They've set price points where they are comfortable with the profit they make from the sale of any of their products. Business 101.
who said FAS will loose money. I did not waste split second of my life thinking over financials of FAS :) And yes if you have 1 mic and and all you do is recording 2 tracks at a time you don't need to buy a 16 channel interface with 8 preamps. It is overkill and reasonless comsumption without smartly thinking your needs or knowing what you are doing. Life 101 ----- (SUV culture in USA, i see your similar logic everyday here in Austin, buy the biggest car to drive it to starbucks, very very unfortunate)

Last edited:
Just wondering, are there any other hardware manufacturers that are supporting FullRes IRs, if anyone knows? Or this is a new upcoming standard that Fractal is developing now?

Just wondering, are there any other hardware manufacturers that are supporting FullRes IRs, if anyone knows? Or this is a new upcoming standard that Fractal is developing now?
It's a Fractal creation, so no other hardware would have it... Although there may be hardware that supports longer IRs like FullRes.

Can a cab block (be made to) simply audition and load IRs from external sources? Why do I need ANY IRs stored on the unit full time if my use is only studio? I’d actually have a much better workflow working out of file folders than the current way IRs are stored. Couldn’t this solve this issue entirely, at least for guys like me?

Just keep enough memory/storage for what I’m currently loading up.

Of course for gigging folks this probably won’t work.

Can a cab block (be made to) simply audition and load IRs from external sources? Why do I need ANY IRs stored on the unit full time if my use is only studio? I’d actually have a much better workflow working out of file folders than the current way IRs are stored. Couldn’t this solve this issue entirely, at least for guys like me?

Just keep enough memory/storage for what I’m currently loading up.

Of course for gigging folks this probably won’t work.
i went your rout for a while. Was using CabLab or MixIR(smth like that) in the DAW but was still using the cab block to monitor. If you monitor via the track in DAW, with the added latency, it was no fun.

And for me it makes things way easier to commit to a core sound and not to deal with options later on...but it’s just me, looks like works pretty well for you.

(just reread your post, i might be not responding to what you are actually saying🤭 if so, my apologies.)

who said FAS will loose money. I did not waste split second of my life thinking over financials of FAS :) And yes if you have 1 mic and and all you do is recording 2 tracks at a time you don't need to buy a 16 channel interface with 8 preamps. It is overkill and reasonless comsumption without smartly thinking your needs or knowing what you are doing. Life 101 ----- (SUV culture in USA, i see your similar logic everyday here in Austin, buy the biggest car to drive it to starbucks, very very unfortunate)
There's always one in the crowd.

i went your rout for a while. Was using CabLab or MixIR(smth like that) in the DAW but was still using the cab block to monitor. If you monitor via the track in DAW, with the added latency, it was no fun.

And for me it makes things way easier to commit to a core sound and not to deal with options later on...but it’s just me, looks like works pretty well for you.

(just reread your post, i might be not responding to what you are actually saying🤭 if so, my apologies.)
Yea I think my point or feature request was confused.

I’d like to store ZERO IRs on my Fractal and instead pick from folders on my PC, be they full res or otherwise and load them that way. It would also address the file management request that seems to be popular, too.

Yes, you can. You select one of the Scratchpad slots in cab block in place of a cab. You can then load whatever cab you want in that scratchpad slot from Axe Edit. I can't remember for sure if the scratchpad slots are NV memory based though, so they might clear out when you turn off the Axe III.

Edit: Yes the scratchpad slots do clear out when you power off the Axe III. To load them, you use the audition features in the Axe Manage Cabs browser.

Last edited:
Yea I think my point or feature request was confused.

I’d like to store ZERO IRs on my Fractal and instead pick from folders on my PC, be they full res or otherwise and load them that way. It would also address the file management request that seems to be popular, too.
Zero IRs on board in NVM would definitely not work for me and I suspect would not work for many.
The key distinction to me is
1. where to manage the full/big libraries of raw IRs purchased from IR vendors (best done on a computer I believe - Cablab recognizes this concept also by bridging between computer and Axefx) - the absolute best option for this is solutions like Mikko but that's another story, VS
2. where to manage the active IRs / IR Mixes being actively used in on board presets (best done in the modeller I believe) .
I don't think we need to go into extreme solutions. The option being polled here is a good compromise judging by the voting so far, leaving plenty of Hirez IR slots (1k) available in ubank1, while opening up ubank2 for 32 Fullres IRs in order to make that feature available in mk1 and keep the mk1 fully capable in all respects. Fractal may not do it regardless of what we say (particularly if everyone is dumping their mk1 to buy mk2 for that feature lol!), but I'm betting they will as they have made efforts in the past (ie Ax2) to keep earlier "mk" models current. If we are real lucky they will code in an option path where users can convert ubank2 or not depending on their preference (yes - I know they said no..., but, many times, when I led a development team, my "no" became a "yes" after "vigorous discussion and negotiation with various factions etc " lol - my other favourite was "anything is possible - it's the practicality and effort level that may get in the way".

Last edited:
I literally have been using only 2 cabs for the entirety of my FAS career lol. I voted for the option to have the longer IR's, but I'm still on Cab Pack 7...so take that for what it is lol. I still get compliments on my tone, even though I'm using IR's from 2014 LOL.

I literally have been using only 2 cabs for the entirety of my FAS career lol. I voted for the option to have the longer IR's, but I'm still on Cab Pack 7...so take that for what it is lol. I still get compliments on my tone, even though I'm using IR's from 2014 LOL.
You're not alone - some of my preferred IRs are Redwirez I bought in 2009 - regular rez run at 512. I abandoned hirez
some time ago - could not hear a difference + get a cpu refund.

You're not alone - some of my preferred IRs are Redwirez I bought in 2009 - regular rez run at 512. I abandoned hirez
some time ago - could not hear a difference + get a cpu refund.

Which ones, if I may ask? :)

I'm not in front of my AxeFxIII, but I was finally updating to Cygnus Monday night, (had a huge summer of shows and not enough time to re-level my global blocks), but I do know it was an R121 and an E906 panned hard left and right respectively. @ML SOUND LAB (CK back then) nailed the sounds I needed back then, and it ain't broke so... I did purchase a newer MESA cab pack from him, but I have yet to audition it. I had 94 shows on the books this year, 3 toddlers ( a 4 year old, and 2.5 year old twins, all girls btw...) full time job, and a wife to keep somewhat happy, so time has not been on my side lol...

A couple of mixes from Soldano412... from the orignal "Bigbox" bundle. Soldano Cab IRs seemed rare for a long time so i'd used these but I lost the rest from my computer. After going back to short IRs at 512 last year I thought I should revisit the bigbox IRs but figured I would not be able to retrieve
them from rw after so long - sure enough though, my account was
still there on the legacy rw website so I was able to retrieve the bundles I had purchased waaay back - lots of treasures in there - huge number of files.

Back
Top Bottom