Poll: MK1 owners, 1024 User 2 cab slots or 32 FullRes cab slots?

MK1 owners, 1024 User 2 cab slots or 32 FullRes cab slots?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
About a 90% to 10% split so far. I wonder if splitting the User 2 bank in half would be an option.
Not possible, according to Cliff. It's one OR the other. I know that it's easy to fill up the IR slots once you've bought packs from the various dealers (York Audio, yessiree!). So my User 1 is at 737, but I could easily pare that down to less than 100. And I probably should.

Fishing thru 9000 IRs is hugely counter productive
The Mikko model is great but not likely to happen in Axefx. Those who see the search for an IR as embarking on a hunt through 1000s of sound auditions I think are on the wrong track and will not get much use from their IR libraries. I think the idea is to 1. get to know what the various cab styles, speakers, mics, mic placements ... sound like, 2. understand what sound your looking for and match that to your knowledge of 1 above. Then, having done 1 and 2 you can narrow down your IR possibilities to a dozen or so and audition/mix with those.

The Mikko model is great but not likely to happen in Axefx. Those who see the search for an IR as embarking on a hunt through 1000s of sound auditions I think are on the wrong track and will not get much use from their IR libraries. I think the idea is to 1. get to know what the various cab styles, speakers, mics, mic placements ... sound like, 2. understand what sound your looking for and match that to your knowledge of 1 above. Then, having done 1 and 2 you can narrow down your IR possibilities to a dozen or so and audition/mix with those.
I’m intimately familiar with cabs, micing, micing techniques and all that. I’ve been around the block and do more mixing/producing than guitar playing these days.
One 57 IR is most certainly NOT the same as another shot by someone else. Often not even in the same ballpark. I do like the approach of blindly listening to IRs in a looped audio event, but this is overly time consuming. I guess not as time consuming as physically getting some mics out, but just think there’s a better way (actually know there’s a better way) than libraries of thousands upon thousands of IRs (which I happen to own, too). In other software, I know within a couple minutes if the cab I’m selecting is right for the amp or amp model and can then either dial it in from there or move on. It’s quicker than testing out the first 100 or so IRs.
anyway, don’t want to derail further. Hoping this new feature makes it into the AxeFXIII MKI. Also as stated above, no one HAS to update if they’re happy with the current state of the product. Buying into a digital platform like this requires a certain amount of trust in the developer(s). I don’t think cliff would ever dream of adding a feature that doesn’t make this product better. Especially if it’s at the expense of an existing feature.

I'm all for having the User 2 bank for FullRes IRs.

Where does one get FullRes IRs though? Is this going to be something that is released if/when the FW is released, like, "hey. come grab your 32 IRs!" or something? Because I currently don't use Bank 2 and, unless one can even find FullRes IRs, I won't be using it either way.

Yep, I’m up for losing bank number 2 here as well. Seeing as I have a whopping 20 or so loaded in bank 1, and still always come back to the same two trusty factory IRs every time.

I voted for the new stuff.. then started thinking about it... I don't really mess with user IRs, and I would likely not mess with these New IRs either. Then, I don't upgrade firmware that often, as I don't want anything changing with how I have stuff set-up and sounding - mainly because I don't Need anything changed.

I bought this spendy piece of kit for what it was at the time, and we have grown accustomed to each other, the Axe & I, and I really don't require it to change.

Something to consider along Those lines is that a lot of people bought this machine for the capabilities at the time, and, over the years, they have invested heavily in these Old School IRs for their live work and studio sounds.. and their sound revolves around having access to their Old School IRs. To say they cannot have what they initially purchased in the Mk1 if they upgrade to a newer firmware is a little grim if there cannot be a split in the user banks, or a separate firmware to please everybody - and there really shouldn't be an expectation that any company write separate firmware to please everybody, or cater to older gen products to debilitating degrees.

I think half of it is that we have been spoiled here. Fractal - as a professional business - is a little weird in that they actually give us a lot of things for free - the cynic in me (the miserable bastard that he is), whispers to me that a higher level of professional requires a fully road tested firmware (and we're the guinea pigs). But it's worth it to many, and we have been getting a lot of stuff for free here that we're not entitled to.

But we're not entitled to all these new things that come along.

We got what we paid for, and if we can't have "that something new" every five minutes as these guys churn it out, we might just be thankful for what we already have. These things were great before The Man said, "Hey, listen to this" - The AXE III Recordings thread is a testament to that. The world won't end for us if any newer thing cannot be shared. I think we could all agree we got what we paid for - and then some.

Happy Monday, Everybody! :0)

I've made a folder for my IR's on my Mac, i have them named by manufacturer and sorted from there.
When I try cabs, I use the scratch function and try out a bunch. If I find a cab I like, I load it in now for my FM3, for my Ax8, previous for AxeII and Standard. So my cab user space is minimal on device. But notice the FM3 has one cab user bank of 1024. Even though I know its still a work in progress, maybe too CPU intensive for the FM3 and I haven't totally heard the improvement (takes me a while to absorb), here's to hoping all current units get a taste.

World would have better musicians, guitar players if Cliff limits the number of Amps, IRs, Drives etc....all to 10:) Unless you are an IR vendor i can't come up with any logical reason why you would need 1000s of IRs.

I went to studios, worked with producers who had 5-6 drum kits, cymbal sets, 10-12 guitars, 10-15 amps, cabs etc...

If i call a studio and they say "we have 90 drum kits, 125 cymbals, 103 amps, 89 Cabs, 56 guitars."...i think i would just walk away. Hence i would also walk away from musicians saying they use 145 amps, and 2000 IRs :)

Still i understand also its not a THAT SIMPLE decision for Cliff to make, there will be people giving him headache. (cause they lost their mind going through 4000 IRs)

Last edited:
As a Mk 1 user, I couldn't try FullRes (yet). Although I cannot estimate whether I will use FullRes, I voted for it.

IMHO the greater flexibility of being able to use FullRes outweighs the loss of a user cab bank in my opinion. I also think that Mk 1 and Mk 2 should (continue to) offer the same qualitative possibilities and - where unavoidable - should only differ in the quantitative possibilities.

I have User 1 and User 2 full, but I only use like 12 IR's at the very VERY most. I could downsize for some cool extra goodies.
Takes 5 minutes to fill them up, would take 5 life times if not more to try and understand them all:)

Same here, i use 5-6 Amps, maybe 10 or so IRs and O/Zero drives beside fuzz...why would i put a drive block infront of a fender to make it sound like a plexi...when i have the real deal, plexi in the box. (ladder is kinda joke to stir the pot)

This poll is sending a pretty clear message at this point with 350 votes and 10:1 in favour of swapping ubank2 to Fullrez.

Best outcome would be a built in option so everybody can be happy - we'll see.

I totally agree that going through a huge pile of IRs is way worse than being able to play around with mic positioning on a virtual speaker. The Quad Cortex has a simplified version of what MIKKO offers and it works very well for fine tuning the sound of your cab sim.

But the Fractal system in its current form is what it is and I don't see them changing it for this generation of products. Even if they did it would be a big undertaking and that's not going to solve any issues for people wanting the fullres IRs on their Mk1 unit.

Would love to see a better system for cab sim management in a future product tho.
As a QC user it’s much more friendly

An even better option would be a couple of parameter choices
1.Cab type 1x12,2x12 etc
2.speaker type
3.mic type
4.front on position of mic to speaker you can move

This would internally house all the IRs

It would be a massive undertaking but the streamline for a user would be incredible

Something to consider along Those lines is that a lot of people bought this machine for the capabilities at the time, and, over the years, they have invested heavily in these Old School IRs for their live work and studio sounds.. and their sound revolves around having access to their Old School IRs. To say they cannot have what they initially purchased in the Mk1 if they upgrade to a newer firmware is a little grim if there cannot be a split in the user banks, or a separate firmware to please everybody - and there really shouldn't be an expectation that any company write separate firmware to please everybody, or cater to older gen products to debilitating degrees.

How would they not have access to their old school IRs? The factory banks are untouched, and the user banks get filled by IRs that you have purchased and/or downloaded. All of your user banks should still exist on your computer, if you back them up.

I have yet to hear one person explain why they need to have 2048 user IRs on their FX3 at all times. I’m truly curious to see a real-world example of why 1024 User IRs is just not enough. I should say that my perspective is colored by my past, which consisted of using 1 amp and 1 cab with a few pedals for an entire gig. But even if I could swap out a new rig for every song, it would still “only” be 40 amps and 40 cabs. Stereo? Okay - 80. So a bank of 100 IRs would suffice. What am I missing?

Sorry for my lack of experience with irs but what's the difference with the higher res versions is really that much of a difference ? thanks much

Also higher res versions are payware correct ?

Back
Top Bottom