Poll: MK1 owners, 1024 User 2 cab slots or 32 FullRes cab slots?

MK1 owners, 1024 User 2 cab slots or 32 FullRes cab slots?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mr_fender

Axe-Master
Just a quick informal poll to test the waters if most MK1 owners would rather replace the existing 1024 User 2 cab slots with 32 FullRes slots for FW 17.0 and up or to keep the User 2 bank the way it is in leu of FullRes support.

This is of course IF Cliff decides that is ultimately an option, so don't expect anything to happen unless Fractal says it will.

Last edited:
Same here, but I know some folks do use it. Just trying to get some informal numbers for Cliff's consideration.

Ideally it would be user selectable or we could split that bank to compromise between the two, but I would imagine that would make for a lot more work and simply may not be possible with the current storage architecture. Cliff's the driver here. We're all just along for the ride like dogs with our heads hanging out the window.

I use both banks, so I voted to keep the second bank. Honestly, I think having a setting that allows you to choose is the best option. Don't know if it's feasible, but it would satisfy everyone.
Might involve two separate firmware releases - FullRes/StdRes - but yes, extra overhead for the developers.

The idea of storing hundreds of user iRs in the AxeFX without providing an efficient way to manage/browse them was probably not a worthwhile feature to begin with.
you do enjoy twisting that little knife, dontcha ….(not that I disagree..IR management has long been desirable);)

you do enjoy twisting that little knife, dontcha ….(not that I disagree..IR management has long been desirable);)
Confusing me with somebody else? I think I posted a wish a couple of years ago that is somewhat related, but I don't recall mentioning anything on this topic since then. In any case, no, I'm not trying to twist anything, just offering an opinion on whether anything of value would be lost if that memory was repurposed for the new kind of IR :).

I'm all for using the second User IR bank for FullRes IRs, it's especially nice for us headphone users that need some of those room reflections to sweeten the dry tone.

It still amazes me that Cliff is even willing to listen to our opinions in that regard. Unparalleled customer relationship management to say the least. I'm just happy that the tonal boundaries are once again pushed - even if I as an MK I user might* not be able to use it - I'm happy for the MKII owners that can take full advantage of this!

Last edited:
Confusing me with somebody else? I think I posted a wish a couple of years ago that is somewhat related, but I don't recall mentioning anything on this topic since then. In any case, no, I'm not trying to twist anything, just offering an opinion on whether anything of value would be lost if that memory was repurposed for the new kind of IR :).
Perhaps that 1 wish had a more profound effect on me than intended….but it is you I reference. All in good humor, sir.

Hey there

I am All-in for the 32 fullres support as stated in the poll. However, it would be great to use the usb B port on the back of the unit to hook up external memory.

This usb B port is not used besides for hooking up to a computer right? A formatted partition on a pc, mobile phone, flashdrive or whatever memory holder could be external memory to the unit as ext4 or zfs format or whatever is needed.
Software does the rest... but Fractal OS / firmware should then support such an option.

It could be a solution like a hardware unlock key and a tool to create the Fractal external memory partition.
Buying a "Fractal" hardware unlock that is only usable for that unit. My guess it would be a ++ for the money. +memory and +unit value.

Just my thoughts ...

Cheers

Last edited:
An option to choose inside the firmware is the ultimate.
Mk1 users can pick and choose how they use bank 2.

Why not mk2 users can also pick 3 user banks, or 2 full res banks.

Pretty please Cliff !

And to be honest, I'm not against paying a yearly fee to keep my legacy (mk1) unit open to updates. I understand the latest gets the best, but that doesn't mean the existing users can't help reward you for the time taken to keep legacy products updated.

What's the point of this poll, when the poll is not proven to represent all (or a large part of) the MK 1 owner's positions?

I don’t think now is the right time to make decisions on implementing FullRes on MK 1, because not all the risks and trade-offs for the irreversible change (to eliminate the half of User IR slots) seem to be clear as of now.
In my opinion, the discussion on what MK 1 should catch up with MK 2 should take place AFTER more differences between the 2 versions become apparent and therefore more options are available.
For instance, I've been expecting the update of Speaker Impedance Curve to have more types or User slots, as I use IRs of “minor” cabs that have no corresponding SICs as of now. In fact, SIC update is a higher priority for me than FullRes IRs as it improves the accuracy of the simulation. I guess SIC update needs further NV memory and it would no longer be able to implement once FullRes IRs occupy half of what used to be User IR slots. (I doubt if MK 1 users agree with decrease of User IR slots less than 1024.) FAS may come up with more features using additional NV memory that contribute to as/more important improvements as/than FullRes IRs.

… It still amazes me that Cliff is even willing to listen to our opinions in that regard.
Srsly? Unless @FractalAudio and Fractal workers are generously funding the operation of the company with their personal money/labor (and not making enough profits as a company to survive) then it’s us — the Axe FX customers and especially the repeat buyers who at some point flip their older units at a loss — who provide Fractal’s profits and support their continued operation. No, Cliff doesn’t have to listen to anyone at all ever but it would be damned foolish not to — and that’s one thing I am absolutely certain he is not.

Pretty please Cliff !

And to be honest, I'm not against paying a yearly fee to keep my legacy (mk1) unit open to updates. I understand the latest gets the best, but that doesn't mean the existing users can't help reward you for the time taken to keep legacy products updated.
to be honest, I'm against paying a yearly fee, very honestly against it. The Mk1, at only 3+ish years since introduction, is exactly the same as MkII except for moderately less NVM, and no pink light (or purple, or whatever, not that there's anything wrong with pink if it's pink). It is not by any stretch of imagination, a legacy product where it no longer gets any key updates - if it were to become so after this short a time (even by fast marching tech standards), then, from my perspective, I'd be thinking: "Houston, we have a problem". I voted to re-purpose bank2 cuz I think dedicating 2k slots to IRs is a waste when managing large IR libraries is much better done on a computer and 1k slots is loads of choice IRs/Mixes to have on board, but if it doesn't happen I don't think mk1s will be missing out on all that much in the next year or 2 + I stop short of "pretty please Cliff" - 🤮 sorry, just can't do it.

Back
Top Bottom