Poll MFC vs LiquidFoot vs Something else

Which Controller would you buy, or wish you had bought (money is not big a factor)

• Total voters
Yes these are in production! RJM is tring to get these out for beginning of february. I read somewhere that it had silent switches.

It still in pre-sale, 150$ off.

Buy the Mastermind GT/16 MIDI Foot Controller - RJM Music Technology, Inc.

Got this email today

Mastermind GT/16 News

(Mastermind GT/16 before the black powder coating and silk screen)

Mastermind GT/16 are almost here. We are now only waiting for the powdercoating and silk screening for the metal enclosures. (less than 2 weeks we think)

If you order before we get the enclosures, you can still get a discount for the prepayment. You can also order it in RED for a limited time

ok I am interested now too. I do have 2 questions about these controllers. 1. Is their performance the same on all these? meaning is there any latency in one design opposed to the other? 2. How expensive would cracked/damaged lcds be to replace?

I don't think that latency plays a role with midi controllers being that it's not sound we're dealing with, but rather a data transfer. It's instantaneous to when you click the switch.

As to the LCD screen cracking... According to both LF and RJM, they have never had a screen crack, even with their products on world tours, as it has a 1/8" clear acrylic cover to protect. IF you do ever have a screen crack (clear cover), they are easily replaceable, according to the manufacturers.

I don't think that latency plays a role with midi controllers being that it's not sound we're dealing with, but rather a data transfer. It's instantaneous to when you click the switch.

All the controllers mentioned in this thread are what I would call "smart" controllers. So in that regard they are internally processing and analyzing midi commands etc. via whatever chip and firmware code they have.

This processing could potentially cause latency. But obviously no latency would be the design goal.

MIDI is slow. There's nothing instantaneous about it, LOL! Now, it's fast enough for most music control purposes but it's far from instantaneous. Majority won't notice any lag under simple use cases. I'm not bustin yer chops, but it's not instantaneous.

liquid foot... works with anything, down the road you could change preamps add stuff in your rack, get rid of axe, great support.

I'm trying to get along with my LF+ Jr+, I really am. For the record I've had a support ticket open for 7 days now with no resolution yet. I'm not trying to do anything complex either, just trying to get basic syncing of IAs and preset names to work.

maybe try a different midi cable. I always thought my LF editor was slow. I used a USB for the LF editor, and a USB for Axe Edit. One had an inline filter, so I could tell them apart, and I always used the non-filtered one on the LF.

One day I grabbed a completely different cable and the LF editor was 10 times faster. I had gone for over a year, at a Turtle's pace, due to a bad cable.

It worked, and I never lost data, but man, was it slow compared to the other cable.

Good luck, and I hope it works for you.

I also bought a MMGT16, just the right size and features I need.

photo55.jpg

RJM makes good stuff, but for this price you can get 2 MFC's :)

maybe try a different midi cable. I always thought my LF editor was slow. I used a USB for the LF editor, and a USB for Axe Edit. One had an inline filter, so I could tell them apart, and I always used the non-filtered one on the LF.

One day I grabbed a completely different cable and the LF editor was 10 times faster. I had gone for over a year, at a Turtle's pace, due to a bad cable.

It worked, and I never lost data, but man, was it slow compared to the other cable.

Good luck, and I hope it works for you.

Thanks, but I've tried different cables. I'm a great troubleshooter. Not at all meaning to "toot my own horn" but its just the reality of what I do and the experience I've accumulated. I'm not being conceited, I'm just pointing out that I never would even ask for help without trying all the usual things and then some. I think the fact that I've had a ticket open for 7 days either means that I've uncovered a problem that FAMC is working on or I'm being ignored. Either way, it's not working as advertised. I hope they get it working because I much prefer this pedal over everything else out there, but quite simply it needs to work.

MIDI is slow. There's nothing instantaneous about it, LOL! Now, it's fast enough for most music control purposes but it's far from instantaneous. Majority won't notice any lag under simple use cases. I'm not bustin yer chops, but it's not instantaneous.

Stop bustin my chops! Haha just kiddin.

What you say makes sense. I'm by no means an expert on any of this stuff, but what I should have said is that when I click the switch, the programmed changes are made and I've never noticed any lag with my prior controllers going back 15 years or more. With that being said, I'd assume that these new "smart" controllers would be quieter, smoother and faster... If that's possible.

Stop bustin my chops! Haha just kiddin.

What you say makes sense. I'm by no means an expert on any of this stuff, but what I should have said is that when I click the switch, the programmed changes are made and I've never noticed any lag with my prior controllers going back 15 years or more. With that being said, I'd assume that these new "smart" controllers would be quieter, smoother and faster... If that's possible.

From the midi spec, "MIDI is an asynchronous serial interface. The baud rate is 31.25 Kbaud (+/- 1%). There is 1 start bit, 8 data bits, and 1 stop bit (ie, 10 bits total), for a period of 320 microseconds per serial byte."

To be midi is to be 32Kbaud. That's slow in today's gigabit ethernet world.

These new "smart" controllers aren't necessarily ANY quieter, smoother, or faster than anything going back to 1983, but they definitely do a lot more, LOL!

From the midi spec, "MIDI is an asynchronous serial interface. The baud rate is 31.25 Kbaud (+/- 1%). There is 1 start bit, 8 data bits, and 1 stop bit (ie, 10 bits total), for a period of 320 microseconds per serial byte."

To be midi is to be 32Kbaud. That's slow in today's gigabit ethernet world.

These new "smart" controllers aren't necessarily ANY quieter, smoother, or faster than anything going back to 1983, but they definitely do a lot more, LOL!

Yup, which makes me wonder why manufacturers seems to know about the TurboMIDI...?

Audiofile Support

Foot switches are virtually silent! One of the huge selling points to me when i switched to the MMGT. At the time I had an original Mark I MFC. I had issues with a few switches sticking, there was also a noticeable click, and tapping in tempos wasn't as easy. With the MMGT I am totally satisfied! Set up is a snap, the color customization makes navigation during gigs a breeze, and its silent. Great product and great company support!

Stevieray,
I too have had some issues with updating and changing setups on my lf+ jr+. I finally figured out that "for me" I have less issues if I connect my computer directly to the axe (leaving the lf physically disconnected). I do all the work on the editor. Then I unplug from the axe and connect the computer to the lf w/ the axe physically disconnected. I then send the data to the pedal and all is good. I'm having a weird issue with some of the screens above the switches loosing their names but that's another topic there :)

I hope this on topic and not a hijack. I can use some advice myself. I got on the MFC waitlist less than two weeks ago and got an invitation today. I thought for sure I had more time to get the cash together and research the LF a bit. The LF+12 is smaller, lighter and less expensive than the MFC which are important factors for me. Am I missing the forest for the trees? I currently use an old Ground Control (not pro). I've only used it for preset change. I had rack gear and turning individual effects on and off were not necessary. Any good rationalizations to choose the MFC over the LF? Although I have not worked with scenes and X/Y yet I plan on using that feature because of the preset change delay I have now. Does one controller have an advantage over the other in that regard?

MMGT all the way! Used the MFC for about a year until the MMGT came out. Never looked back! Use it to run my AXE FX II and RJM Mini-Amp Gizmo. Love it!

BTW, I have the Mark I so I'm not sure if they use the same foot switches still. Mine was very noisy compared to the MMGT (pretty much silent switching). Plus I had a few switches on the MFC that were beginning to stick and it was damn noisy switching or tapping in a tempo.

Yeah order an MMGT 16 (due to this thread) and currently waiting for it to delivered hopefully mid April

I would have loved to have bought the MFC and support fractal in this area, however the MMGT (although expensive) is just way more configurable, lcd screens, and works with the AXEFX out of the box

I'm expecting good things from this unit and really hope it wont give me troubles

Placed my order for a MMGT 16 yesterday, Liquid Foot looks good, but are they even open for business? All I've seen for the Pro+ has been "Add to Wait List"...

I own a MFC-101 Mk2 and it works fine, but...
I use scenes and have been asking/wishing/hoping for the ability to move the scenes to the front row of buttons, closest to my feet.
I use Tap Tempo for setting delay times, would love to have that button in the front row, where it is easily accessible.
I think the reveal button is a great idea, but the labels on my MFC never change when i press it.
I waited for the MK3, no editor, no scenes moved to the front row.

With the MMGT-16 I can have my cake and eat it too.

The editor made it a breeze to customize my ideal layouts.
I can create multiple layouts in the editor and then switch to the one I need for a practice, for the weekend worship service or a local gig.
Here are a couple shots of one of my layouts in the MMGT editor:
The main page has amps and scenes, when I press the IA button, the page switches to pedals and then back to the main.
Bank Up & Down move to another page of Amps.

View attachment 21377 View attachment 21378

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom