Poll: Improving the Fuzz - Fuzzface Model

Poll: Improving the Fuzz - Fuzzface Model

• Total voters
I'm interested to know how many others would like it if Cliff enhanced the fuzz capabilities of the Axe, both in accuracy as well as adding some of the variables that some of the best fuzz people out there are adding.

There are some great fuzzes out there. Analogman Sunface, Fuzz Factory, Devi Ever, the original Fuzzfaces, etc.

The circuits are simple, but the nuances and the interplay of the different controls, mixed with the signal strength from the guitar, aren't completely there yet in the Axe.

The pedal is a staple of guitar tones through the years, I think the Axe would benefit from being able to replicate this.

Tony

Maybe we should assemble a list of 2 things here that could help Cliff if he decides to put some time in to the fuzz.

1.) Which fuzzes stand-out as unique and deserving to be copied,and 2.) Which features/variables/knobs of the more creative fuzz pedals are helpful or just plain fun to have (bias control, "battery" voltage sagging, transistor type... not just si or ge but different types and combinations... NKT-275 AC-128 BC-108 [actually it'd be cool to be able to control the characteristics of the transistors if this is even posible], the "Pinch" knob of the ZVex Wooley Mammoth that controls the pulse width of the waveform, Hendrix/Roger Mayer modifications, etc...).

I'll provide a link to the page from Beavis Audio Research dealing with a few mods, includes schematics:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/BYO ... BEAVIS.pdf

Have to run right now but later I'll add my votes for the best fuzzes, and more of the best features:

Fuzzes:

Features:

The load control of the MI Audio fuzzes is fun:

Copied from the manual...

Load
One of the unique features of the G.I. Fuzz is the load control. This control
gives you precise control over just how much load your pickups see. For a
traditional fuzz face sound, keep the load control set to approximately 10
O’clock. This will keep that vintage low-pass or ‘muffled’ sound (in a good
way!). If you’re using humbuckers or high impedance pickups, try winding up
the load a bit to match your pickups. If you want to get that low gain overdrive-
ish tone I was talking about, keep the load control maxed to get the brightest
tone and fastest response from your pickups. One thing to keep in mind is
that the load control is very interactive with the fuzz control. If you want to
keep the same amount of gain, you need to turn up the fuzz control as you
turn down the load and visa-versa.

I like the Fuzz, but I always have faith that Cliff can make it even better. Since I like fuzz and I'd like it to be as good as possible, I voted yes.

One note, the fuzz sounds good but it doesn't clean up well.

Absolutely not - I vote no. I hate the sound of fuzz. Proper distortion is awesome. This is one of the reasons I cannot listen to Jimi Hendrix, I hate fuzz! And I don't like his voice either. Maybe if I had listened to him when he was a new artist, I would have liked it. We will never know.

jerotas said:
Absolutely not - I vote no. I hate the sound of fuzz. Proper distortion is awesome. This is one of the reasons I cannot listen to Jimi Hendrix, I hate fuzz! And I don't like his voice either. Maybe if I had listened to him when he was a new artist, I would have liked it. We will never know.

:)

I used to hate fuzz tones. Couldn't understand why people liked the "cartonboard" tone of it.
Now I love it. The Hard Fuzz and the Octave Divider fulfill my needs.

jerotas said:

LOLKTHXBYE!

Reddy Kilowatt said:
jerotas said:

LOLKTHXBYE!

hahahaha... I love it

jerotas said:
Absolutely not - I vote no. I hate the sound of fuzz.

Oh man. I can see this.

"Hi! I'm Cliff Chase, and I've been experimenting with digital algorithms that accurately model the sound and response of tubes -"

"Absolutely not. I hate the sound of modelers. Goodbye."

" :cry: "

Aren't you glad we didn't make you king of the world?

FreaqyFrequency said:
jerotas said:
Absolutely not - I vote no. I hate the sound of fuzz.

Oh man. I can see this.

"Hi! I'm Cliff Chase, and I've been experimenting with digital algorithms that accurately model the sound and response of tubes -"

"Absolutely not. I hate the sound of modelers. Goodbye."

" :cry: "

Aren't you glad we didn't make you king of the world?

Well yeah I wouldn't have answered that theoretical question that way at all. I've used "modelers" longer than just about everyone here, and always loved them. I have also had Fuzz sounds in a few products before, and they've all just been "why the hell would anyone use this" sounds that I play with for about 5 seconds before almost throwing up from the nastiness of the sound. Not to say that there couldn't be a good fuzz sound made, as long as it was drastically different that all the ones I had. I heard that the hex fuzz on the old Kramer Ripley guitar was pretty good. Maybe it was...

ok fine, prove me wrong and make a great fuzz sound :) Jimi's fuzz is still terrible-sounding though on most of his songs. I understand that back then amps didn't have modern distortion, but that doesn't negate my point.

How about we not turn this into a "prove it" thread, OK? ;) Some folks like the sound of a fuzz, some don't. Some folks like their eggs scrambled and others want sunny side up. That's what makes the world go around and there is no need to get into whizzing contest over this.

I voted "for" BTW. I would also love a Maestro but judging by past posts I have made I must be alone in this. :lol:

Right, the thread concerns adding a fuzz face model. Not whether one likes fuzz or not. jerotas voted no because he doesn't like fuzz in general, enough said. I can see why he wouldnt want resources applied to it. I disagree; however, we are all entitled to our opinion especially when there is a poll for it. The merits or lack thereof of fuzz can be discussed in the lounge.

OK, how about we try and move this thread into some win/win positive territory here...

I can understand how some folks aren't too partial to the Jimi Hendrix fuzz sounds (especially those born post 60's). Personally, I think some of Jimi's tones are too fuzzy, but being born in the 60's, I was breast feed on the likes of Hendrix, Page, Clapton et al, so I do dig a bit of fuzz every now and again. :)

So, how about players like Eric Johnson and Joe Satriani? They have been know to use Fuzz to great effect (especially EJ)!

Shouldn't we have as many colours available on our tonal palette? I'm definitely not an expert on fuzz though, so I will leave that to the experts to decide if the Axe FX fuzz requires more improvement.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom