Poll: How many people use screen protectors?

Do you use screen/display protectors?

• Main display only.

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • Foot switch displays only.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Both main and foot displays.

Votes: 46 30.9%
  • No covers at all.

Votes: 90 60.4%

• Total voters
I made my own - bought a sheet of clear 3mm perspex and self adhesive magnetic tape from my local Hobbycraft. Cost me about £8 all in plus about 30mins of my time to cut to size.
That's a good idea. Easy to remove and wipe down in case dust gets behind it.

The protectors I'm using cover all the displays, but I think the LCDs are sturdy enough to go without. The main display really does need the protection, IMO.

Where to get good protectors? I’ve seen some FM3 with all plexiglass around them.
I used IQ Shield cell phone screen protector. Just make sure you get one large enough to cover the main screen in one piece. If I recall, I used the Samsung S9+ size. For less than $10 the package came with two protector film sheets. I just cut them to have pieces for the main screen and the foot switch screens. Works great. Can't even tell it's on there.

Will the displays eventually get scratched
Yes, unless they're a lot harder than the material rubbing against them. How often and how much pressure is applied when something contacts the screen/display/lens are the questions. Will they be unreadable? That's highly unlikely because it'd take repeated abuse across the lens.

, or are these 3rd party screen protectors kind of an internet craze?
Do you mean like switch toppers?

Lots of electronics have some sort of cover over their displays, keypads, knobs, connectors, etc., when they're used in extreme environments. I guess the question is to define "extreme" in our own individual use. Where I live airborne dust is the most likely problem and it's pervasive, and even wiping it off can scratch plastic, and, no matter what we use to remove the dust it is going to scratch at some point, even a microfiber cloth because it'll trap dust and that will get dragged across the display. So, dealing with my own particular OCD, I use the display protectors to help remove the majority of the dust when I lift the protector off, then very gently dust with the rag, then clean the protector, sometimes using a rinse of water, then the microfiber.

Potential market research, maybe.
Not at all, just simply wondering how many people are doing it. Looks like the majority aren't doing anything. I might make a simple plexiglass cover just for the main display. ...after typing that, I think I realized that I'm overthinking it. :)

I cut the nib off the one that was on the main screen from factory and left it there. I cut up an old phone screen protector sheet and stuck it on the footswitch screens... (FM9 btw).

Hey guys, just curious how useful screen protectors are. Will the displays eventually get scratched, or are these 3rd party screen protectors kind of an internet craze?

Lets see how many people are using them!

-c
I don't but I don't move mine. I bought it for use in my music room so I could play at low volumes but have it sound like it would when I use to gig all the time with tube amps. I also play barefoot so it's highly unlikely that I'd scratch the FC-12 either.

Not at all, just simply wondering how many people are doing it. Looks like the majority aren't doing anything. I might make a simple plexiglass cover just for the main display. ...after typing that, I think I realized that I'm overthinking it. :)
I think the idea of using a tablet or phone screen protector that has been cut down to fit is a valid solution.

I think the idea of using a tablet or phone screen protector that has been cut down to fit is a valid solution.
That's my preference from the above options. It's very economical and you usually get at least two such protectors in a pack. Once installed you won't even know they're there.

Back
Top Bottom