Poll: Axe FX II vs EZmix2 (Full song mix)

Which one is the Axe FX II

• SAMPLE 1

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • SAMPLE 2

Votes: 39 83.0%

• Total voters

DTS

Experienced
Here is a interesting comparison especially for homerecorders. I have recorded and mixed this song with Axe FX II. I also recorded the DI tracks and that gave me an idea to make a little comparison, that how good the EZmix 2 holds up agains the Axe FX II.

I used Guitarjons Meshuggah tonematch presets on the Axe FX II recording and EZmix 2 Meshuggah presets on the EZmix 2 recording. So they should be on the same ballpark. Both samples are mixed the same way. Only some minor EQ changes in the guitar tracks Hi-Lo pass filters. The short "broken radio intro guitar" is from Axe FX II in both Samples. Just to let you know. :)

Gear:
Ibanez M80M
Ibanez BTB Bass
Axe FX II

Here are the clips:

SAMPLE 1

SAMPLE 2

Just say which one do you think is Axe fx II. You can also share your opinion, that is it easy to separate these two from each other.

The right answer will be released, when we have enough entrants.

(PS. This is my first poll, so let see how it goes.)

Last edited:
i prefer the 2nd one (damn i hope its the axe-fx! lol)

sound much fuller to me, could be all about settings too of course...

both sound good, but i prefer the 2nd one

listening on ADAM A7x...

Reactions: DTS
i think you could get both sound with just s switch of IR,

but damn, if that is EZ mix, this is realllly good

I also like the second sample more.
The first one is "colder", which is something that one could want, but I like the other one more ;) (Which doesn't mean, that I necessarily think it's the Axe Fx)

Good recording.

Both sound good, which means Axe can be any of them..
And remember that you can ALWAYS sound like shit even woth good equipment.. hahaha

I liked the second one more, but but my ears also told me that the guitar was mixed louder in the second clip. If so, it's not an even comparison....?

I like number 2 as well cant say axe or not cant tell , something fuller going on . both sound really good.

I prefer 2 a lot more, so I hope it's the Axe II. THe good news if it's not, Cliff is always working to improve it at lightning speed so I can tell you with full confidence if it does seem the II is not the best, and If Cliff finds out why he'll make it so haha.

The Deuce.
#2 has waaay more treble peaks and a high shelf tone, #2 also has bump in the lower register for that power "chunk".
#1 is uber-compressed and has both top and bottom roll-off. #1 is also lower volume.
This test is not really a test, more of a which mix do you like better. Add some vocals and everyone may prefer #1 for anything with vocals and #2 for any fills, I know I would. So is it a tie then? Nope, #2 sounds best.

Well they both sound great. Something in the first clips presence sounded a bit digital to me so that's why I voted for SAMPLE 2. But then I listened again and they were pretty close. :) Judging with only ears.

Thanks guys for your input! I'll release the right answers later today. You still have couple hours to give your vote.

The second one sounds better, which one that is I have no idea. Many times these Tone Match presets sound like garbage so I wouldn't be surprised if the first one is the Axe-Fx.

Axe-Fx creator covers his ass in case he blindly picks a competitors product over his own - Check! ;):mrgreen;)

Let me qualify this by saying that I'm listening through laptop speakers, but the second example seemed to have better stereo separation (or at least through my laptop speakers). Maybe more of the high end was cut in the first example causing it to be slightly less directional? Both sounded good but the second example definitely sounded better to me.

Back
Top Bottom