PODHD500 AND FCB1010

sprint

Axe-Master
Experimented last night with using both PODHD500 and FCB1010 to control Axe-fx. I connected both units as follows:

Macbook --> FCB1010 Midi In (via Emu 1x1 Midi cable (out))
FCB1010 Midi Out --> Midi Solutions Midi Merger box Midi In2
PODHD500 Midi Out --> Midi Solutions Midi Merger box Midi In1
Midi Solutions Midi Merger box Midi Out --> AxeFx Midi In
Axe-fx midi Out --> Macbook (via Meu 1x1 Midi Cable (In))

Works Great!!! I now have the following resources to control my Axe-fx:

On FCB1010 (with Uno):
- 5 control switches that retain status.
- 5 control switches that do not retain status (I use these for the looper).
- 2 expression pedals.
- The above X 20 banks of control variation if desired.

On PodHD500:
- 10 control foot switches that retain status (in stomp box mode).
- 1 Toeswitch (can't seem to get this one to work yet).
- 1 expression pedal.
- 1 extension expression pedal.
- Patch Switching - even in stomp box mode I can use the HD's bank / patch selector to select patches on the Axe. The HD500 arranges patches in the familiar 16 banks of 4 tones each labelled A,B,C,D. I'm thinking, I'll arrange the first 64 patches on my Axe-fx into this pattern (including A,B,C,D in the patch titles) to align with the PODHD500's patch labelling. That way I can make use of the PODHD500's super large Patch ID display (i.e. will display "3B" in huge font on it's display for older visually challenged folks like me).
- The above X 16 banks of variation in controll messaging if desired.

On Axefx:
- 2 expression pedals.

So in total 20 control switches (15 of which retain status indication) and 6 expression pedals!!

The FCB1010's merge mode also allows use of Axe-Edit while controlling the Axe via footswitches through this setup.

The HD500 also works well as an audio interface to the Macbook and of course has its own modelling capability editable via the Macbook/Lne6 Editor through usb interface.

As far as the PODHD500's capabilities as a modeller go, to my ears, not in the ballpark of the Axefx (as expected for 1/2 the price) - I find the dynamics better than a previous pod I owned but still no-where near the Axe. The HD's crunch + high gain tones sound good to me (again better than previous pods) but lack the depth and pleasing "artifacts" that I hear in the Axe distortions. Overall I would say the tone is not nearly as refined in the HD compared to the Axe.

For 500$ though, I find ithe HD500 a pretty good companion to the axe for a basement and occaisional jam player like me + for pro's I guess it could be a good backup (or additional controller as described above but the net real estate used when using both HD and FCB seem prohibitive).

I have my signal 1st routed through a radial BigShot ABY amp selector with one path to Axe Fx and the other to PODHD500 so with one click I can switch beteen the two modellers. Cool!!

For those with an HD500 or thinking of getting one - hope you find this post useful.

Sprint

My head hurts reading it! :lol:

You really know what you are doing.

I do have a FCB1010 and an HD500, and an Ultra Axe Fx.
Just recently got the FCB1010 working pretty well for the basics.
Still figuring out the stompbox status settings and wah pedal setup.

I picked up an HD500 on sale at GC and really like how it sounds and feels.
Have not dug into using it as a MIDI controller.
Was hoping somebody would do a basic tutorial on that here somewhere. :D

As for how it compares to an Axe-Fx-quite well IMO.
I have had Line 6 products for years. This is the best work they have done in many ways
and the previous stuff was already good IMO.

Take a listen to these clips done by a buddy of mine. He is an exceptionally musical player.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1112738&content=music

Back
Top Bottom