POD XT Live as Controller/Backup/Headphone Amp

Chris Hurley

Power User
While I'm waiting on the Axe-FX Ultras to get in stock, I've been looking for a controller that I could afford.

I hope I haven't made a mistake in buying a POD XT Live, but I can always (r)ebay it.

I believe that I read a couple of people indicating that the XT Live can be used for program changes and (through the learn facility of the axe-fx), effect/parameter toggles.

While I don't relish the idea of using it as a backup, I think I could survive with the POD XT. I once did a show with a Boss DS-1 into a H&K Redbox, and on another occasion used a V-Stack direct to PA. Both were awful, but I survived and got paid the same as normal. :)

A third benefit occurred to me as well- crackerjack headphone amp...

Hopefully I haven't misunderstood the capability of this unit, but for just a bit more than a MIDI Mate, having a backup unit sounds promising. If the POD XT Live fails, I'll need to use a generic patch on the Axe-FX and regular effects pedals, perhaps...

i used the XT LIve as a midi controller for more than 6 months. worked just fine. it can also do IA (4, if i remember corectly), which is pretty cool

I owned one (sold it long before I even heard of the axe) but I do remember it being fairly heavy. You could probably do better in that sense, and would be better off with the midimate. However the expression pedal is decent for a built in pedal. I would however skip using it as a headphone amp. Going analog into the PODxt would be creating a generation loss of analog > digital > analog headphone outs. The ADA converters on the PODxt aren't as good as the Axe and besides the point you don't need to be running your signal through a digital device just to use headphones no matter how good it is. Oh and last I checked the podxt only has a mono instrument input. Get a small analog device for that, a lot of people here use a 20-30 crap-henger device they report back positively about. I also find it really annoying to have headphones jacked into a device at my feet. I prefer to keep that closer to control or eye level.
Speaking of crap-henger why don't you just get the FCB1010 and matching headphone amp?

Firstpenguin said:
Oh and last I checked the podxt only has a mono instrument input.

Correct, but it has an "aux in" for CD player, etc...

Firstpenguin said:
Speaking of crap-henger why don't you just get the FCB1010 and matching headphone amp?

Same money... can't act as a backup unit... poor QC experience with Behringer in the past.

I may go there still though.

Well, my Axe-FX isn't here yet, but the PODxt Live arrived. It sounds like I remember PODs sounding... blech.

I'm surprised to find after testing with some computer-based plugins that the XT live amp control knobs also send MIDI messages, though. That might make it possible to have convenient knobs for oft-needed features like gain, bass, mid, treble.

Strangely, the knobs are sort of modal. If the PODxt live believes that you're in "amp is bypassed" mode, the knobs don't transmit. Fortunately, configuring the amp switch as the compressor switch keeps it from getting in that mode and the knobs transmit like one would expect.

I'm a bit disappointed that the POD sounds are really quite poor (as I remember), but the control features seem promising. Looking forward to trying it out with the axe-fx...

I wonder if there are any other pedal solutions that include a few knobs. That might be sort of handy.

Back
Top Bottom