Pod X3 Live as MIDI controller for AxeFx questions

brain21

Inspired
OK, so I have a few questions for those of you using your X3 Live (with the latest updates) as a controller for your AxeFx:

Can you configure the upper row of 5 switches on the X3L to act as Instant Access Switches on the AxeFx?

My main concerns are this:

- Switching to the right patch (duh - wouldn't even be entertaining the X3L if it couldn't do that)
- Displaying the preset name on the X3Live - not interactively, but I can kludge it by creating an X3L patch in that location and name it to the same name as the patch on the Axe Fx. I just have to keep them in synch if I move them around or rename them. No biggie.
- Use stomp buttons as IA switches on the AxeFx
- Add at least 1 more expression pedal (I know you CAN do this)
- 2-way communication. I'd like to have the LED on the IA reflect the status of the IA on the AxeFx. I suppose I could kludge this like the preset name display...

Nice to haves:
- Ability to control other MIDI devices (like send program changes on different channels)
- More flexibility to re-assign functions to stomp switches

I believe the FBV has ALL of those capabilities, but at this point I'd have to run the FBV into a PC and then back out via MIDI, which is a pain. I mean I have a tiny 1U 1/2 rackspace PC, and I could put XP Embedded on it and optimize it to boot very quickly and do nothing but translate MIDI over USB to MIDI over MIDI, but bringing PCs to gigs kinda frightens me, they are so unreliable and tend to add yet another level of complexity to the whole shebang. I shouldn't have to bring a backup for my MIDI pedal too! It would be REALLY nice if Line6 simply made a small MIDI-over-USB to MIDI-Over-MIDI converter box. It would open up a host of new possibilities

Im trying to do the same thing but I have not given it too much effort because I dont understand the THRU function well enough and dont want to lose my axe-edit connection.

I did manage to get the expression pedal to work (with the toe button), change patches and a few other things but I really need to figure it out sometime soon.

If anyone is doing with an X3 live successfully, I would love to hear how you have it setup. Especially how to set it up where axe edit still works. Also if the the stomp buttons can be lit when on, and dim when off?

I did a google search on fractal for midi thru but got overwelmed. I may try to spend some time with this over the weekend.

You can do all the things you ask. I am doing this with a POD XT Live. It works fine.
I did buy a FBC10101 but haven't actually used it yet.
I would prefer a couple of extra stomp boxes than the 4 I can do on the XT, but it really is a good option, and provides a backup.

Andrew

hello guys...

i have an axe 2 and a pod x3 live.

i don't understand much about midi parameters, and CC stuff... i hooked up the midi cable from pod out to axe in. i can change presets, and that's it... I SUCK. hehe

i read that line6 midi reference, but can't figure out how to set up the midi parameters in the pod.

i would like to assing the expression pedal to volume and wah on the axe fx... can someone give a few pointers?

thanks

Not sure if the question is still open, but just in case someone else is wondering...

X3live CAN work as a continuous controller (like if you tap "delay", or "stomp" buttons and it will toggle on/off the corresponding effects on the axe-fx). I have my x3 live set and it works just great with my axe-fx ultra, both as presets foot switch and as the fx controller. I can even use the expression pedal, use it as volume or fx tweak, turn wahs on/off by pressing the pedal and control them, can control rev mix with "verb" knob, drive level, and even the tap tempo is working..

So how do you set it to work? With your line6 turned on and connected to the axe-fx via midi cable, press I/O button on the axe-fx, go to 'control' page. This is where the midi control message numbers are stored. Scroll down to any effect or function needed to assign, then press enter button. The "learning' message will go flashing on the screen. Now press the desired button on your line6, so that Axe-fx can 'learn' this button and assign it to the chosen effect. Now you can buy me a beer )).
Likewise you can assign your onboard pedal to work as input level controller, use onboard knobs to control corresponding parameters on the axe-fx. Let me know if anyone needs this information.

Last edited:
hello guys...

i have an axe 2 and a pod x3 live.

i don't understand much about midi parameters, and CC stuff... i hooked up the midi cable from pod out to axe in. i can change presets, and that's it... I SUCK. hehe

i read that line6 midi reference, but can't figure out how to set up the midi parameters in the pod.

i would like to assing the expression pedal to volume and wah on the axe fx... can someone give a few pointers?

thanks
Hi, how exactly do you change presets with the Pod X3 live?

Back
Top Bottom