POD HD500: The next best thing for midi!

TNX Drop for your answer... ehmmm be patient and kind and let me well understand

you say that you copy the same patch into the PODHD500 in all bank/preset locations of a SET so you can control as many Axe patches as you can with the POD
Ok
but if the POD "controller" patch is alway the same in every POD memory slot... you have always the same Axe patch controlled by the POD...
I mean... there is some midi command that you modify in each location... or is just the switch action from a patch to another patch (the same) on the POD that recall another Axe patch?
TNX in ADV

Yes! My HD500 midi patch is always the same. But my AFXII patches have different scenes, that i can control.
Example:

Clean patch
scene 1 = only amp + cab
scene 2 adds Reverb and delay
scene 3 adds chorus and delay2 (and at same time it turns off the effects in scene 2)
scene 4 adds reverb2 and delay2 (turns of chorus etc.)

Hope this clears things for you.

If someone has got the fs1-fs4 lights work, when changing scenes, i would be happy to hear how it's done. I haven't foud a way to get them work.

Don't have an HD in front of me now but did you set the scene IA switches up as a group, so that only one can be lit at any time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: DTS
Don't have an HD in front of me now but did you set the scene IA switches up as a group, so that only one can be lit at any time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I guess i have not, 'cause i don't know how to set them as a group. Can you give me an advice, how to set them in HD500?

I've got everything to work right! :p But is there anyway to have the Pod Hd500 control the axe fx 2's looper function?

Great to hear, that this setup is working for you. :)

Edit:

I have found a solution to make the looper work, just like in POD HD500. You'll find my guide from this page 2.

Last edited:
This patch works only with Pod HD. I don't know, if you can program XT Live to work as an midi controller for axe fx, 'cause i don't own one.

Almost any floor based multi fx with a midi out port will do the job.
I had an HD500 controlling a rack with TriAxis + g-major, also used an old GT-3 to control the g-major and Carvin Quad-X pre amp.
I have a friend how uses a crapy zoom, to control his rig.
It works.

I used mine like this before getting my MFC a year ago. The HD collected dust for a few months, BUT, then I wanted more MFC buttons, SO, back out came my PODHD - midi out to Axefx midi in for 8 more fx buttons and another expression pedal. Works great this way as well.
How would you ever need more than the 15 buttons on the MFC? I will never understand. Are you guys like an octopus from the belt and below?
I simply don't have enough feet for all those buttons... o_O

Hey DropTheSun, thanks for all the work. I hope you don't mind us asking questions...

I just got hold of an HD500x and plan to attempt to use your method for using it as a midi controller for my Ultra. I hope your instructions are applicable to gen 1 units.

But one very basic thing escapes me: Why do you even need a patch on the POD? Do you actually feed your guitar through the HD500? Or is your guitar jack plugged into you Axe-FX, entirely bypassing the HD500's audio path?

My intention is to use the HD500x only as a midi controller. If ever I'm in need of a backup, I'd like my HD500x to be ready to use as a standalone rig, so I'll need to set up several patches on the HD500x that are a "poor man's substitute" to my Ultra's patches. As such, I don't want all 64 of my HD500x presets to be copies of your midi patch... or am I missing something? In other words, all I want is to use the HD500x to allow me to (a) select presets on my Ultra, (b) provide some IA's for effects on/off, and (c) feed the CC data from the built-in expression pedal plus one additional external exp pedal to my Ultra.

Is your setup radically different (and then perhaps not of any use to my application)?

Hey DropTheSun, thanks for all the work. I hope you don't mind us asking questions...

I just got hold of an HD500x and plan to attempt to use your method for using it as a midi controller for my Ultra. I hope your instructions are applicable to gen 1 units.

But one very basic thing escapes me: Why do you even need a patch on the POD? Do you actually feed your guitar through the HD500? Or is your guitar jack plugged into you Axe-FX, entirely bypassing the HD500's audio path?

My intention is to use the HD500x only as a midi controller. If ever I'm in need of a backup, I'd like my HD500x to be ready to use as a standalone rig, so I'll need to set up several patches on the HD500x that are a "poor man's substitute" to my Ultra's patches. As such, I don't want all 64 of my HD500x presets to be copies of your midi patch... or am I missing something? In other words, all I want is to use the HD500x to allow me to (a) select presets on my Ultra, (b) provide some IA's for effects on/off, and (c) feed the CC data from the built-in expression pedal plus one additional external exp pedal to my Ultra.

Is your setup radically different (and then perhaps not of any use to my application)?

Hi!
I'm not sure if Ultra has different CC commands, than AFXII. I guess not, so most likely my patch will work just fine.

You need my patch, 'cause the CC commands in that patch are customized to work with AFXII the way OP says. I connect my guitar normally in the AFXII front input. HD500 is connected to AFXII using one midi cable. I keep my hd500 midi patch empty from amp and effects, 'cause otherwise the Scene command IA's would turn lights on/off in wrong way, when operating my AFXII. I don't want that to happen.

You don't have to copy my patch in every slot in your HD500X SET list, if you don't need that many Axe FX patches to control.
You can control your axe fx effects if you set them to function on/off using scenes.

Example:
Scene 1 chorus on and reverb on
Scene 2 chorus off and rever on
Scene 3 chorus on, reverb on and delay on
Scene 4 .....

Expression pedal works as volume pedal and wah. You can also change it to work ather way, if you customize your CC commands in axe fx midi menu.

This is a good day... No! This is a amazing day to own POD HD500!

I have now taken all the midi power, that is possible to take out from the HD500! Are you ready my friends?

Drum rolllllllllrollllllrolll! :D

I managed to make the looper work, like it works in HD500. Every preset can now control the looper, if the preset has the looper block.

This is how it works:
To enter Looper mode, just press the Looper switch in HD500. Now the looper block is On and you are ready to control the looper.

How the switches work in looper mode:
Press A switch to Record (autoplay is on as default in the looper block, so when you stop recording the playback starts automatically.)
Press B switch to Play
Press C switch to Overdub
Press D switch to Reverse
Press FS2 switch to Play once
Press FS3 switch for Metronome

How to make this awesome looper mode to work:
(Make sure, you have set your POD HD500 and AFXII as guided in the OP, before you continue)
1. Go to Axe FX midi control page
2. Turn CC commands from 60 to 69 to "none" and 122 to "none"
3. Search looper CC commands from the midi control menu and change them to:
- Looper Bypass = 15 (you will lose Tuner function, that was working before pressing the looper switch in HD500)
- Record = 60
- Play = 61
- Overdub = 68
- Reverse = 65
- Play once = 62
- Metronome = 67
- Turn rest of the looper cc commands to "none"
4. Put a looper block in your patch and start looping!

ENJOY!

Last edited:
Hey guys! Nice to meet you! First post here... Sorry for disturbing but Im brazilian and dont have many sources of info here for the axe fx 2...

I would REALLY appreciate your help in my set up...

I have a boss gt-100 as a midi controller for the axe fx 2. Basically for switching presets. Thats ok! My nightmare is when trying to use the wah and its footswitch to turn on and off the effect! Ive seen a video tutorial on that subject with the MFC and the mission sp-1 pedal (watch?v=YVTDJGCmFdM). I could assign the exp pedal to control the wah block (Ext Crtl 1 = CC16). But only with the autoengage option. The exp pedal switch is acting like a momentary switch (Ext Crtl = CC17). Eventhough in the gt100 its set to toggle. I mean that I can assign it to turn the wah block on and of, but it doesnt stay on or off when I press it. It insist to be momentary... It sucks! I cant use my wah block with this set up. I dont like the autoengage... This is sad because I need to do the same thing for the whammy.... And also would like to use the exp pedal as a volume pedal plus wah or whammy together...

In my gt100 it works flawless. So I hope there is something in the axe fx 2 programing that Im not quite mastering...

Clearing things up...

what I cant do is to set the exp pedal switch to be set to on or off like you did with the mission sp-1 pedal on this video at 13:04

(watch?v=YVTDJGCmFdM)

Thanks very very much!

regards!

Back
Top Bottom