POD HD500 controlling Axe FX - a new report

Wolfy

I bought a new HD500 yesterday (birthday!) and after a long night I have it up and running with the Axe FX Ultra (10.03). I searched around a lot for info about this setup, but what I could find is old. Here's a not at all concise report of how my rig is working:

My goals were:
-Patch changing in the first 64 patches of bank 1 on the Axe
-At least four assignable footswitches for turning effects on and off
-Make use of the HD500 looper (48 seconds, reverse, multiple recording, undo, 1/2 speed, etc)
-Two continuous foot controllers, switched between using the toe footswitch on the HD500.

I have not tried any of the HD500 modeling, but my impression on taking it for a spin was that the clean models sound nice and the fancy/gainy models sound like a cat barf contest.

My current setup is:
Axe FX:
Guitar -> Analog front
Output 1 (XLR->XLR) -> powered studio monitors
Output 2 (FX loop send, 1/4"->1/4" cables) -> HD500 FX Return (line level)
Input 2 (FX loop return, Female XLR -> 1/4" cables) <- HD500 XLR Out
Input 1 level knob: 5:00 (dimed for weak strat+ deluxe pickups...)
Input 2 level knob: 5:00 (dimed for return from HD500)
Output 1 level knob: ~12:00 for reasonable studio monitor volume, can change at will
Output 2 level knob: ~12:00, controls level that gets sent to the HD500 effects return

MIDI options:
MIDI channel: 1
Prog change: ON
Display offset: 1
Send realtime sysex: OFF (otherwise I get a nice metronome from the tap tuner...)
MIDI PC offset: 0

I left the CC values on the control tab alone, why complicate things.

Axe patches:
Whatever you want, just make the last patch the Effects loop, leave levels alone

HD500:
Start with factory settings, upgrade to firmware 1.20 via a USB connection (nice!), could have done with my MIDI->USB cable that I use with the Axe

Master volume knob on HD500: 4:00 to 5:00, you can monitor the level with the Axe FX Input 2 LEDs on the front.

MIDI channel: 1
MIDI mode: ABCD

HD500 patches: User Bank 1 contains all empty User patches, so I used that.
Looper is set in the post position, so I can loop the output from the Axe
FX return is right before the Looper, set level to +19, make sure it is a Return block.

You have to name the patches on the POD or using the POD Edit software.

Assigning MIDI footswitches:
The 1.2 firmware has a nice setup, which is on a per patch basis. You just assign the MIDI channel (in this case always 1), data type, and value to FS1-FS8, the toe footswitch, and EXP1 and EXP2. I use the CC Toggle capability, which toggles between values (0 and 127), and you can set which is which (light on or off when effect is off). You have to set it correctly so that the OFF switches relate to OFF effects in the patch, and vice versa. I haven't had to use the Axe FX learn option for anything yet.

Previous reports indicated that you had to build patches with the appropriate effects in them for the lights to work right, as far as I can tell that isn't true with firmware 1.20.

I assign EXP1 -> CC 16, EXP2 -> CC 17. The toe switch does nothing so far, as the HD500 internally switches between EXP1 and EXP2 when you hit it. The toe switch is ridiculously hard to press from a sitting position!!!

I haven't done the tap tempo yet.

Result:
Everything I was aiming for works. The footswitches are nicer than many MIDI pedalboards, and they light up correctly. The foot controller is smooth. The looper has full functionality. My output is from the Axe and not the POD. The 4 patches per bank layout is actually really nice, as each bank can be named and when you hit the bank up/down buttons you get a list of preset names on the POD screen. Switching between patches in a bank is fast and easy. I assume I can replicate my patches and have an OK backup to the Axe. I can also bypass the routing of the signal through the POD from the POD itself by bypassing the Axe Effects Loop block... wacky.

Price for the HD500: $450 new, drove to New Hampshire so no sales tax Awww Yeaahh. Used ones run ~$300-$350, equivalent to a GCP or so. Really durable, fairly light, pretty big for what it does as a pedalboard.

Downside: no power switch on the POD (Really Line 6?), the wall wart is actually really small and light, but the power cable is ~8 feet long.

Another upside? There's a USB connection that you can record off of, some people say it works just fine.

Last edited:
OK, got tap tempo working (CC 14). You set an option on the HD500 to display the tap tempo light. The tempo is the same between the HD500 and the Axe but the lights are not exactly synchronized.

Another update, this time BAD NEWS.

The HD500 sends Bank Change MSB commands when switching to a patch that has EXP1 or EXP2 configured for MIDI output. It is unclear why it does this, but it changes to bank 127 (!) and 0 alternately, causing the Axe to retrieve patches from Bank 3 and Bank 1, in a predictable but very annoying fashion! The MIDI commands are B0 00 00 and B0 00 F7. No help from Line 6 understanding this behavior, but it appears to be the HD500 trying to initialized the position of the foot pedal upon patch change. Odd.

Some half-solutions:
1) Deal with it, learn to change patches twice to get to Bank 1. :(
2) Program the tap tempo button to send a Bank 0 command when you press it, then hit it when you get a Bank 3 patch. :(
3) Use a MIDI Solutions Event Processor (Yek has a thread on this one) or Router to filter out the B0 00 commands from the HD500. I'll test this later this week. This should restore full functionality.

Maybe L6 will change this in an update, if I complain loudly enough... yeah right. It is clearly not an Axe FX problem, although it is kind of annoying that the Axe will respond to Bank Changes > B0 00 02 by switching to bank 3, instead of just ignoring the bank change command. This would fix the problem as well by ignoring the Bank 127 command.

So lonely...

Final report.

The HD500 is working perfectly now, but only thanks to a Midi Solutions Event Processor. Without the MSEP or another way to filter out bank changes (CC #0), you cannot use the HD500 foot pedal as a continuous MIDI controller! Fortunately, the MSEP lets you do all kinds of neat things. I have it set up to take a MIDI CC from FS4 on all patches, and send a combination of CC messages to the Axe, allowing me to toggle several blocks on and off with one footswitch. I can also send sysex messages to the Axe, but I haven't delved into that yet.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. There's a new firmware for HD500, version 1.22. This is what Line 6 says, among other fixes:

Minimum MIDI CC value for EXP1/EXP2 not saved with preset – FIXED

Have you tried it now? Do you think the exp pedal will now work without the Midi Solutions Event Processor? Only thing that keep me away from using the POd to control the Axe is this bug, I hope it may be solved with this new firmware.

I am in sporadic contact with support at Line6 about the expression pedal sending Bank Change messages. Maybe it will trickle up and get incorporated into an update (which are pleasingly common!). The 1.22 firmware update does fix a problem with the foot pedal not storing it's minimum value correctly, but the Bank Change messages are still being sent and the Event Processor is still necessary for me.

If Line6 really takes a close look at MIDI control with the HD500, they could definitely be a very good alternative to the pricier controllers. I suggested that they implement a "last patch selected" feature, as discussed on this forum, which would go back to the previous patch if you hit the current patch's footswitch.

The link posted by JohnnyGuitar about setting up the HD500 with the 11R is really useful.

Hey Wolfy! Thanks for the interesting information!

I'm not sure if I've missed this in reading your post, but have you been able to use the knobs on the HD500 as cc controllers for the axe-fx?

It would be sweet to tie them to different things, like feedback and delay time, to do some fun delay stuff.

Also, while in Midi mode, are you still sending audio from the HD500? I'd be interested in using some of the delays and weirder effects that aren't available on my standard. Seeing that you're using the looper, it would seem that that's definitely a yes.

On a scale of 1-2 how would you rate the difficulty of getting this running?

Thanks for bumping this thread, I was looking for it!

The control knobs do not send MIDI data, unfortunately. The way I have it set up, the Master Volume knob does allow you to easily vary the level sent to Output 1 on the Axe from the floorboard. The 1.31 firmware resolved my issues with MIDI bank change commands being sent on some patch changes, which is great.

I am using a 4 cable method, routing the Axe output through the HD500 and back into the Axe. Since you can place the effects return anywhere in the HD500 chain, you can use POD effects on your signal.

This is a very easy setup to get running. You just create a single blank patch in the User 1 bank, with an effects return block at the end with the level set high and the looper in the post position. Also, you should set your standard MIDI footswitch parameters in this patch. Then copy this patch to all of the patches in the User 1 bank, and rename them to match your patches on the Axe using the HD500 Edit software. Presto chango, you're pretty much done.

Interesting! Thanks for the reply!

So, you have a row of buttons for patches, and another row for stomps? Sorry if you've talked about this already but I'm pretty ignorant in terms of midi.

It would be amazing if those knobs could send midi data.

Would you consider making a video of the functionality?

Last question - have you found any difference in audio quality, using the Line6's converters? This whole thing is pretty intriguing to me as I don't need a whole pile of buttons, and need a backup. I just want something that's really functional in the same swipe. The mfc is always tempting...

I recently received Axe-Fx II and I am trying to use my HD500 as the MIDI controller. Based on the information in this tread, and the Gearpage thread about using the HD500 to control an 11R, I have everything working really nicely including the HD toe switch to turn the wah effect off/on. Unfortunately I can not figure out how to control the actual volume or wah effect with the expression pedal. I have everything setup as described here, but moving the pedal has no impact. Being new to the Axe I am sure I am doing something wrong. Just not sure what exactly it is. Do I need to add a volume pedal effect block in the Axe2 preset to control the volume using CC#16? Why is the wah not responding to CC#17? Are there some unmentioned settings on the Axe2 that I am missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am really close to getting this to work great. But this expression pedal issue has me scratching my head.

I recently received Axe-Fx II and I am trying to use my HD500 as the MIDI controller. Based on the information in this tread, and the Gearpage thread about using the HD500 to control an 11R, I have everything working really nicely including the HD toe switch to turn the wah effect off/on. Unfortunately I can not figure out how to control the actual volume or wah effect with the expression pedal. I have everything setup as described here, but moving the pedal has no impact. Being new to the Axe I am sure I am doing something wrong. Just not sure what exactly it is. Do I need to add a volume pedal effect block in the Axe2 preset to control the volume using CC#16? Why is the wah not responding to CC#17? Are there some unmentioned settings on the Axe2 that I am missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am really close to getting this to work great. But this expression pedal issue has me scratching my head.

You need to attach the controller to the desired parameter via a modifier. The manual explains this but the basics are:
1. Select the parameter to control, i.e. CONTROL in the Wah block.
2. Press Enter
3. Select the Controller to modify the parameter, i.e. Extern 1
4. Edit the modifier curve, if desired.
5. Enjoy.

Just sold my HD500 - after neither my bandmates nor I liked the sound of it direct to the mixer.

Yes, it could be used as controler and backup...but...

I ordered a FA controler because of this:
-much more functionality
-easier to connect (only one cable for the II)
-Tuner display
-two way communication

Yes, the tuner (as well as the looper) in the HD500 can be used - but why buing an high end AxeFx with an advanced analogue section and converters and then send the signal via an Pod HD500?

Don't set the wah to turn on when you press the toe button, this will just turn the wah on and off. Set External Controller 1 to whatever Midi message the HD 500 wah sends out. Then go to the frequency knob in the Axe Fx wah and tell it to respond to Extern 1, then scroll down and tell it to auto-engage. This way, whenever you move the HD 500s wah pedal it will automatically turn the Axe Fx's wah on. Save the patch with the wah off so you just select the patch again to turn the wah off. I just went through all this trying to get my Vetta to do the exact same thing and I am really excited about how it is working now!!! Hope this helps.

You need to attach the controller to the desired parameter via a modifier. The manual explains this but the basics are:
1. Select the parameter to control, i.e. CONTROL in the Wah block.
2. Press Enter
3. Select the Controller to modify the parameter, i.e. Extern 1
4. Edit the modifier curve, if desired.
5. Enjoy.

Thanks for the reply's. I now have pretty much everything working well with the first preset.

However, I am now scratching my head and wondering if there is an easy way to make these settings stick globally? I am not thrilled with the prospect of having to manually set every preset on the Axe to respond to the MIDI expression pedal on the HD500.

HI all ...fractal-ized ppl!!!
hope is not too late to bump up this 3d!
My "beast" is on the way right now (think -6 days to the splash-down) and I try to sedate my GAS reading everything about the AFXII. And... yes... as a owner of a Vetta HD and a POD HD500 I try to figure out how save some ca$h using:
a) the Vetta HD power amp section (with my 2 4x12s Marshall cabs) and the long FBV as a pedalboard to control via midi the AFXII (yep... throug the Vetta)
b) the HD500 as a midi pedalboard for the AFXII
saving ca$h is a big word... coz I'll put all the saved money into a MATRIX power amp and 2 or 3 wedge FRFR cabs :devilish:
so... for now my little question is:
the AFXII has a 7 pins 180° (DIN) MiDi IN and the Vetta and the HD500 both a 5 pins 180° MiDi OUT
HOW CAN I HOOK them together?
TNX
(upss... and... apologize for my bad english... well ya know: I'm just Italian :lol)

Back
Top Bottom