POD HD500: Control Presets, Scenes and Looper

DTS

Experienced
Hi!

I've had a lot of great help from people in this forum and i think it's time to give something back.

I have been programming my POD HD500 to work as midi controller for my Axe FX II for some time ( See my old thread ). I think, that my work is now completed.

This is my final version for all, who wants to use the Line 6 POD HD500 as a midi controller for Axe FX. I rewrote this to make it one, clear and easy to use guide.

So, what will work?
-You can control up to 64 presets from Axe FX with POD HD500. (Presets 1-64)
-SCENES 1-4
-Looper (or TUNER, if you don’t need looper function)
-Volume pedal
-Exression pedal 2
-Tap tempo

How to make it work?
Download my POD HD500 MIDI patch:
http://line6.com/customtone/profile/DropTheSun/

Copy my patch to as many preset slots in POD HD500 you need. Remember, the maximum is the full SET list of 64 presets.

Setup Axe FX global MIDI settings from I/O menu:
MIDI channel: 1
Prog change: ON
Display offset: 1
MIDI PC offset: 0

Set these cc# commands in AXE FX to "none":

CC# 41
CC# 43
CC# 47
CC# 49
CC# 56
CC# 75
CC# 83
CC# 86
CC# 90
CC# 69

You'll found the CC command list from the I/O menu

If you don’t need the Looper function, you are now done, but if you want it, please read on.

-LOOPER MODE-

Let’s program the looper to work with POD HD500:
1. Go to Axe FX midi control page
2. Turn cc# commands from 60 to 69 to "none" and 122 to "none"
3. Search looper cc# commands from the midi control menu and change them to:
- Looper Bypass = 15 (Turn Tuner cc# 15 to "none", you can't control tuner anymore)
- Record = 60
- Play = 61
- Overdub = 68
- Reverse = 65
- Play once = 62
- Metronome = 67
- Turn rest of the looper cc# commands to "none"
4. Put a looper block in your patch and start looping!

This is how it works in POD HD500:
To enter the Looper mode, just press the Looper switch in HD500. Now the looper block is On and you are ready to control the looper. Press it again to turn the looper block Off and to exit from the Looper mode.

How the switches work in looper mode?:
-Press A switch to Record (autoplay is on as default in the looper block, so when you stop recording the playback starts automatically.)
-Press B switch to Play
-Press C switch to Overdub
-Press D switch to Reverse
-Press FS2 to Play once
-Press FS3 for Metronome

ENJOY!

midi controller.jpg

Last edited:
Got EVERYTHING to work as posted above. Haha thanks. Sorry for posting too early before even trying really hard to troubleshoot my own problem. Thanks again for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DTS
No joy here - nothing works, not even selecting presets on my Ultra.

Note that I have a POD HD500X, so that may be the reason.

DropTheSun, can you explain what your POD HD500 Midi Patch is supposed to do? The one I downloaded and then installed on my POD has one block in it, a Tweed B-man Brt amp with a 410 tweed cab... I suspect that's not quite right. Seems like I'll have to make up my own HD500X Midi Patch, but I sure could use your help... how would you go about describing how to build your patch from scratch for someone who can't download it?

Thanks in advance!

No joy here - nothing works, not even selecting presets on my Ultra.

Note that I have a POD HD500X, so that may be the reason.

DropTheSun, can you explain what your POD HD500 Midi Patch is supposed to do? The one I downloaded and then installed on my POD has one block in it, a Tweed B-man Brt amp with a 410 tweed cab... I suspect that's not quite right. Seems like I'll have to make up my own HD500X Midi Patch, but I sure could use your help... how would you go about describing how to build your patch from scratch for someone who can't download it?

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

It might be, that Ultra or HD500X has different cc commands? The patch, you downloaded from my link is the right one. There is amp selected, but it doesn't matter. I'm not at home atm, so i can't go to see the settings in my gear.

What i can do now, is to advice you to download a manual for Ultra and HD500X and open midi page from both of them. There you see the commands and you can program hd500 X your self, how you want.

Let me know, how this works out. I'll try to help you, if you need more advice.

EDIT:
Check that your midi cable is working and that it is connected from HD500X midi out to AFX midi in.

Last edited:
Set these cc# commands in AXE FX to "none":

CC# 41
CC# 43
CC# 47
CC# 49
CC# 56
CC# 75
CC# 83
CC# 86
CC# 90
CC# 69

You'll found the CC command list from the I/O menu

View attachment 19327

HEEEEEEELLLLP MEEEEE!!!! PLEASE!!!

I'm trying to set to NONE those control change commands... I'm on FW12 beta4... and in the I/O menù of the Axe and in the TAB CTRL I see "CHORUS1 BYP 41"... "CHOUS2 BYP 42"... etc... but dialing only change the number... I can't see "NONE"!!!
Please... how can set to NONE the CC# of your list?

And then my second question is: the EXP1 to control the VOLUME has a too short range (I mean... in a 1/4 of run the Vol is near to zero)... how can I have a full extension of the pedal to get more fine control on teh volume?

TNX in ADV ... I have a gig in a week and need help as fast as possible!

Last edited:
HEEEEEEELLLLP MEEEEE!!!! PLEASE!!!

I'm trying to set to NONE those control change commands... I'm on FW12 beta4... and in the I/O menù of the Axe and in the TAB CTRL I see "CHORUS1 BYP 41"... "CHOUS2 BYP 42"... etc... but dialing only change the number... I can't see "NONE"!!!
Please... how can set to NONE the CC# of your list?

And then my second question is: with your HD500 preset... can I control the volume with the HD500 EXP1... AND the wha with the HD500 EXP2 (I mean toe switching)... and if YES what/how must I set in the Axe?

TNX in ADV ... I have a gig in a week and need help as fast as possible!

"none" is there. Are you sure, that you don't spin the wheel on AFXII too quickly? The numbers change ofcourse and when you get to cc#1, you should find "none" after that.

Yes! You have volume control on exp1 and pressing the toeswitch you engage the wah. Just put a wah block on your patch and test it. It should work right away.

"none" is there. Are you sure, that you don't spin the wheel on AFXII too quickly? The numbers change ofcourse and when you get to cc#1, you should find "none" after that.

Yes! You have volume control on exp1 and pressing the toeswitch you engage the wah. Just put a wah block on your patch and test it. It should work right away.

TNX Man!!! Found!!! :encouragement:

As you can see I have edited my question coz the wha is not a prob no more! (just set the controller for the wha to EXP2 on the Axe).

The last question is about the Volume... with a too little mouvement of the pedal go to ZERO ... how can I get a more fine control (getting the zero only at the full heel position)?

TNX agai fori your patience!

Hi, could you please upload the preset again? Seems like it's not in the website anymore.

Last edited:
I know it´s probably me but...I can get to your preset page but when I try to download it redirects me to the general site-

The pedal is calibrated! And the wha work great! Is the Volume function (EXP1 in the HD500) that has a too small run to go to zero!

Hmm. I'm not sure if there is a option to setup the "integraded volumepedal control"? The other option is to use volume block, where i think is more options to tweak. I don't have my hd500 home atm, but i'll try to check the volume control on mine, when i get to rehearsals next time.

Hmm. I'm not sure if there is a option to setup the "integraded volumepedal control"? The other option is to use volume block, where i think is more options to tweak. I don't have my hd500 home atm, but i'll try to check the volume control on mine, when i get to rehearsals next time.

Ok Man... and try the tuner too... seems not working at all (I stomp on the tuner switch on the HD500 and stay here... and nothing appen on the Axe)

Ok Man... and try the tuner too... seems not working at all (I stomp on the tuner switch on the HD500 and stay here... and nothing appen on the Axe)

To be clear, that in my HD500 the volume pedal does work as it should. But i'll check if there is some setup options for it.

Have you programmed the looper to work? If so, then the tuner won't work. Check your cc# list in AFXII. If the tuner has cc#15, it should work. Double check the steps from my guide. The patch for HD500 works 100%, so there shouldn't be problem. i've used it over three months and so have many others, who have downloaded it and no problems have occurred.

First of all, thank you very much for your help here.

I tried your patch and works well for me.
I had to adjust some more of the CC# that you listed, but actually that's probably becauseI programmed my HD500 a while ago and some of the CC# had already been changed by me, but since I haven't been playing or rehearsing lately I had all abandoned and forgot how it was set up..
I was wondering, wouldn't it be better that if instead of allocating CC#15 for the Looper bypass, you would let that one for the tuner, as you can always stop the looper with the assigned controllers or create one of the scenes with the Looper bypassed?
Also if in the utilities menu in the HD500 you select FS mode to FS 5-8, you can allocate those ones to the other 4 remaining scenes. You can always activate preset switching by pressing the two*bank switches.
Actually I set up*my HD500 before*scenes were introduced, and I assigned them to bypass the effects. Creating a preset in the HD500 with an actual*block which matches the block in the AXE FX also helps a lot visually, and can even be an instant backup.

Of course, all of these are just suggestions. As I said, your preset works great and probably fits your needs better.

Reactions: DTS
Back
Top Bottom